Flywhel Mods

What is the benefit to lightening your flywheel? How many ounces should you remove? Has anyone any opinions on the Ricky Stator flywheel? Also, what does the flywheel degree key do that an adjustable timing plate doesn't? Sorry for all the questions, just seeing if these mods are worth parting with my money for. Thanks.

A lightend flywheel will make the bike rev faster. 1 oz. is what I have seen them lightend to but not sure on the ideal weight. No opinion on the Ricky flywheel here, never had one. What does a degree key do that a plate wont, leave you stranded. They have been know for failing if not installed properly, a plate wont break and is adjustable where as a key is not.

Most guys on here are really down on Ricky Stator stuff because they switched from Made In USA to made in China and quality seems to have gone to shit when they did it. Don't use a degree key, use a timing plate. If you have ever seen a half wore out woodruff key, that is what a degree key looks like. It is half sheared off when it is new, and if your flywheel ever is slightly loose and "works" on the crank it will finish shearing off and leave you stranded.

What is the benefit to lightening your flywheel? How many ounces should you remove? Has anyone any opinions on the Ricky Stator flywheel? Also, what does the flywheel degree key do that an adjustable timing plate doesn't? Sorry for all the questions, just seeing if these mods are worth parting with my money for. Thanks.

I have cut .090 off, you cut on each side of the magnets on the outside edge. I have seen guys cut, .110. You can make your bike bog and it makes it easier to fall out of the pipe with this mod. But your motor does rev up quicker. For woods riding they make heavier flywheels.

I had a shaved flywheel and got rid of it. It made it bog way easier off the line. If you want a motor that SOUNDS fast then shave the flywheel. You also risk having the flywheel come appart if it isn't done correctly.

As for the Ricky Stator flywheel stay as far away from that as possible. I had one and had a rivit head shear off. There have been others with this problem too.

Yeah I had one of my flywheels lightened and granted the guy may have done it wrong but the damn thing came apart on me. It actually broke in a perfect circle around the shaft hole so the shaft hole and the wheel were two separate parts... banghead

The stock weight flywheel is fine, it helps keep the motor spinning instead of bogging down in tight situations or off the line.