Question

Bruce_Blaine

My uncle picked up this banshee from one of his friends. It hasn't been ridden for a good year at least, and he has had it in his shop for about a week now. It has a few aftermarket parts on it including Toomey T6 pipes and a couple other things I can't remember.

Ok so when we first got it, it would not start. We took the Carb out and cleaned it up and what not. There was something clogged in the jet so we got that out and put everything back on. It started up very easily after this, but would idle for about a minute and then turn off. He adjusted the float and it started to idle and rev good and it sounded good. So we let it warm up and took it out to try to ride it.

So we take it up the road and started riding it and it doesn't run right. I can't explain really what is going on since I know little about it, but I will try.

It sounds like when you get on the throttle and get going that it is missing (?) if that's what you would call it. It doesn't sound like it does when it idles and revving it in neutral.

If anyone could help me out here that would be great. Sorry for my inexperience.

welcome to HQ bro :cheers:

we need to know all of the mods to the bike. also, what is the temperature and elevation where you are? what jets are in the carbs? we need to know both the pilot and the main.

chances are that the main jet is not the right size and is causing the bike to run poorly.

Make sure ya have fresh plugs in it. Also if you pulled the carbs apart at the same time, make sure you have the slides in right. It's easy to do and will make them run like crap. The guy that had mine before me did that (that's how I got it for a warrior on straight trade). But as far as the slides go, just make sure the cut away in the slide is facing the air filter.

we need to know all of the mods to the bike. also, what is the temperature and elevation where you are? what jets are in the carbs? we need to know both the pilot and the main.

chances are that the main jet is not the right size and is causing the bike to run poorly.

Ok the only mods we know of are the Toomey pipes, stage IV reeds and there is only one carb on it (i think stock banshees have 2)

other than that the guy he got it from has no clue what has been done to it. And right now its about 30 degrees average daily and idk what elevation we are at i live in VA so it couldnt be that high

Ok the only mods we know of are the Toomey pipes, stage IV reeds and there is only one carb on it (i think stock banshees have 2)

other than that the guy he got it from has no clue what has been done to it. And right now its about 30 degrees average daily and idk what elevation we are at i live in VA so it couldnt be that high

But like I said I am clueless when it comes to banshees. This is the first one I have ever worked on. All I rode was a 450r.

I don't know anything about the 2 into 1 carb set ups. I'm personally not a fan of them, but iv'e never owned one. But from what I read they are harder to tune and get it to run like a 'shee should. I myself would invest in a used set of carbs or new ones if ya have the money and go back the dual carbs. Are the plugs new/clean? Make sure one's not fouled before you get to far along.

i'm with loco on this one. it sounds like it's most likely a jetting issue. especially if you're running it in 30 deg. temps and it's jetted for much warmer weather. find out your elevation and current jetting and carb settings and i'm sure somebody here can help fix the problem.

i'm with loco on this one. it sounds like it's most likely a jetting issue. especially if you're running it in 30 deg. temps and it's jetted for much warmer weather. find out your elevation and current jetting and carb settings and i'm sure somebody here can help fix the problem.

Ok I just got back. The main jet is a 180 and the pilot is a 55. Also it's a 94.

We also did a compression test and got about 120 pounds in both cylinders.

MAIN JET 180

OTHER ONE 55

Edited by Bruce_Blaine