Not REALLY Banshee related BUT

If i were you i wouldn't get him too nice of a bike, my little YZ80 looked like i had taken it to war when i finally graduated to the yz125... that being said though, the newer ones will have a better center of gravity and balance and the suspension will be more forgiving to mistakes, but you will probably have increased power.

Ok, everything you said were positives lol, don't get him to nice of a bike?

i grew up riding dirtbikes starting when i was 3 years old. i really think it helped me to become a better rider by learning balance on a dirtbike first. i say go for it.

Maybe you should of started when you were 2 yeras old, could of gotten #1 ATV National Hillclimber. Just saying. :confused::rotflmao:

I was thinking the same, a little high for a 86 but he has over 1k in receipts, and only about 2 hours on it since he rebuilt it? Man I dunno. I gotta about 6 hundred to find him somthing. I don't hve a job at the moment or I could do more.

Well if it really is solid,and looks good,i might spend 500,but it would have to be clean as hell

Well Guys I ended up getting the 03 yz85. Talking about looking like it just came off floor! And for 750, I think I got a steal. Motor is still clean on it. Lol. I couldn't get it started at the guys house. He was a old timer, had the same gas in for 2 years! I just shook my head. He was wanting it to crank before I brought it home and I was like dude, it's nit gonna start on that gas so after a hour of kicking I just payed him and loaded it up. After I got home I stripped it lol. Took off tank and carb. Cleaned out tank with straight gas and blasted carb with cleaner, buttoned it back up and it fired on 2nd kick. Let it come to temp and hopped on it, took it for a "test" ride and damn, it's got some balls for a 85cc. Pulled a second gear weelie with me on it and I'm 195lbs. My lil man is 9 years old, 80lbs tops, but tall. Can just BARELY touch the ground on his tippy toes, I think it's a lil big for him honestly. I adjusted collars on rear shock to drop it a tad now he can hold it up better. Gonna buy him some gear today and attemp to teach him a clutch. He was used to his 50, any pointers????? Help!!! Lol

Big flat area with nothing to hit, and tell him not to whack the right grip to hard. Sit on the back if you can, and hold the ends of the bars at first, that way you can keep the throttle under control. Help him get it moving and just stand up and let him go.

He's going to wreck it a few time, and loop it out a few times. The shift from a 50 to a 85 is a huge jump and till he gets used to the power band coming on it's going to feel really strange to him. I'd teach him how to fan the clutch to get into the band or he's going to wrap the throttle up to get it there, and when it comes up on the pipe it's going to come up hard.

These lil bikes are dynamite wrapped into a motorcycle frame!

dude, id let him rip it in the snow first, that will let him get a feel for the powerband hitting and hopefully it will be spinning when it hits so it wont launck him off the back. it should also give a feel for leaning with or against the bike when its sliding, i also agree with the guy that said turn in the throttle stop a bit just to be safe. my son is 8 now and i started him on a pw50 when he was 4 by time he turned 6 i was actaually quite impressed but nervous at the same time once he got the hang of it he was balls out all the time with that little fucker, he also had a little 50cc quad but outgrew it so i got him a 90cc raptor and he loves it, :cheers:

nice bike and yah a steal for 750. how tall is your son? i remember my rm 80 like it was yesterday. worked to the max. ported ,shaved head 26mm carb and allot of visuals and factory connection suspension and misc stuff. it ripped hard it was actually my first bike. i learned how to keep the wheel down real quick--- well as best as i could. it litteraly felt like it shifted when powerband hit, it hit that hard. but congrats on your son learning how 2 work the clutch. the 2strokes can b tuchy.