Melted piston

NickisGod

so i finally got around to striping my shee down after my right cylinder blew and i was kind surprised by what i found. i noticed my carbs intake boot was loose on one side allowing air into the reed cage prematurely causing the left side of the right cylinder to burn up leaving a shit stain behind. the pistons aluminum seems to have binded itself to the walls and some one recommended muriatic acid. i just though i post up the damage to see if anyone had any other suggestions.

get-attachmentaspx-1.jpg

get-eee.jpg

get-attachmentaspx.jpg

not so sure about the muratic acid. I don't think it would touch the aluminum it'll just eat at your steel sleeve. I'd just go at it with a descent sandpaper/emory cloth in a cross hatch pattern and try to break it up and then get you a hone to run through it and see how well it cleans up. I did something similar on my YZ490 once, but when the piston melted down the ring seized and scuffed the walls pretty good and I ended up having to bore it.

No you should get it fixed. I wouldn't ever think of running something with sores on the cylinder walls. I am sure others might disagree, but I am not going to try and skimp on something like that and ruin a 800 dollar set of cylinders.

You never know... Fixing it might be nothing more then running a hone through it... But you should have a builder check it out to see.

Edited by Bansh-eman

When the piston gets too hot and expands too much and leaves leaves streaks of itself on the sides of the cylinder it is seizing. It does not have to lock up.

Hammering the motor when it is cold will cause a cold seize, and not lock the motor up as well, just leave piston material on the bore.

I thought with a nikasil cylinger you could wipe down the bore with a type of acid. The acid would remove the aluminum and leave the bore untouched.just remember the cylinders are made of aluminum too so don't get any into the ports.

Then once you get al the aluminum off check the nikasil to make sure it doesn't have any pitting. I would also check the bore to make sure it isn't out of round.