Run Carbs Dry When Done Riding?

Driggs

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if you look at the left side of the stock carbs (left side of bike) you will see a orange/yellow fuel drain hose that runs to the swingarm and drips it to the ground. next to the drain hose on the carb float bowl (the dish lookin thing on the botton of the carb below where your air-filters connect) there is a phillips screw recessed in a hole. if you losen this screw you will see fuel drain out the tube and onto the floor (put a pan under it to catch the fuel) The carb adjustment screws are all flat head screws. so don't go messin with flat heads if your unsure of tuning your carbs...

thats what I was thinking was the drain screw, but its only on one side (left) how does it drain the other? thats why I never messed with it because it didn't make sense that it was only on one carb. Thanks for all your help guys!

thats what I was thinking was the drain screw, but its only on one side (left) how does it drain the other? thats why I never messed with it because it didn't make sense that it was only on one carb. Thanks for all your help guys!

It's the same on the right carb, you just need a long screw driver.

I suggest you remove the carbs the 1st time, if you haven't opened the drains on a regular basis then they will be tough to open.

You can't get sufficient push on the screw driver because the boots will flex.

Once opened/closed a few times they will be easy to crack open.

Running it in your vehicle in limited amounts wont hurt a thing with or without a converter. There are plenty of cars and trucks on the road with a shit ton of miles that have blow by due to worn rings and they are still going strong.

i have never purposely run the carbs dry and don't really see a need to. i was always under the impression it was better to leave gas in it rather than let things dry out. Stabil isn't a bad idea if it's going to sit for a long time but I usually don't use it. The worst case scenario is having to pull the carbs and clean them before the riding season again. Mine basically sits between November - March and I usually don't have any problems getting it going again. I'll drain the old gas and put in new but otherwise it's usually good to go.

Edited by MILO

Running it in your vehicle in limited amounts wont hurt a thing with or without a converter. There are plenty of cars and trucks on the road with a shit ton of miles that have blow by due to worn rings and they are still going strong.

If you want to wear out a catyltic converter, than put 2 stroke gas in your tank.

If you want to wear out a catyltic converter, than put 2 stroke gas in your tank.

Your engine burns oil at all times, the piston rings don't remove all the oil from the cylinder walls, and the incoming fuel charge washes some ofit off and it's burned off during combustion. In limited quantity, 2 stroke oil will not cause damage to converter.

Now if you want to fill half of your tank with the stuff, yeah that might be hard on it. All the converter does is burns the unused stuff in exhaust, the only way to trash them is to clog them with crap from combustion, or feed them un-burned fuel.

There are ways to un-clog cats as well.

I will say it one last time before I start whipping out the stats on why you dont do it, why it will ruin a catalytic converter, the people who have taught me why it will ruin a catalytic converter, not to mention the role that those people play in our everyday lives. "dont put 2 stroke gas in the tank of a vehicle with a catalytic converter on it". I shouldn't even have to explain this.

wtf-cat.jpg

Edited by Snopczynski

Your engine burns oil at all times, the piston rings don't remove all the oil from the cylinder walls, and the incoming fuel charge washes some ofit off and it's burned off during combustion. In limited quantity, 2 stroke oil will not cause damage to converter.

Now if you want to fill half of your tank with the stuff, yeah that might be hard on it. All the converter does is burns the unused stuff in exhaust, the only way to trash them is to clog them with crap from combustion, or feed them un-burned fuel.

There are ways to un-clog cats as well.

Putting two stroke in a vehicle that is equipped with a catalytic converter or a diesel particulate filter will infact have ill effects on it. Now how long down the road these effects show up is a different story. Now on my cavalier i have a gutted cat and i can enjoy the wonderful smell of 927 during the winter. lol However amsoil does make a synthetic premix that is safe for cats so maybe there are others also.

Cody

Edited by papa_smurf49319