j arm/a arm conversion and nerf bar build

dusty_v141

Hey guys im thinking about switching my j arm frame too an arm setup. could some one take a few pics of a stock a arm setup so

i can figure out how im going too do it im also building my own arms for this. i also want too build a set of nerf bars so

could someone post up som pics of that aswell and a few measurements like how far out from the frame they go and how long they are.

thanks for all the help.

sweet man maybe someone will. i was looking at it saturday and i think im going too need too put another bar in the frame behind the shock so

the upper a arm can be put in but i have the tie rods right there and so are are my pipes. i thhink im going too have too move the shocks forward.

come on guys please help us out if some someone will get me some pics and stuff ill take pics of the whole process and post them up.

sweet man maybe someone will. i was looking at it saturday and i think im going too need too put another bar in the frame behind the shock so

the upper a arm can be put in but i have the tie rods right there and so are are my pipes. i thhink im going too have too move the shocks forward.

come on guys please help us out if some someone will get me some pics and stuff ill take pics of the whole process and post them up.

I got a 1999 what measurements do you need?

just do a Google image search for 'banshee frame' so you can see what it looks like your trying to copy and go make the damn thing all ready. You need to get on the job, sit down with your frame with a tape measure and measure the length you need and then cut the tubing to fit, piece by piece. I don't think I would want someone to give me measurements for this project. get er done.

Edited by Meat
cuz I sounded liked a dick :)

LOL Meat I am a welder and I also do know how to google images, I was just tring to see if anyone else had any other input on this subject. You know if someone made this conversion they just might have measurements or a diagram of it. Look when I get done doing mine I will give a full update along with pictures and also measurements and also a blueprint on how to do this mod. I just feel paying 200 dollars for this piece of metal is crazy, hell it will only cost me like 20 bucks to build this.

I can't give you any measurements because I can't get to my bikes right now, but I know when Yamaha made the switch that they did NOT move the shock mount. Also, there are different numbers for the lower a arms but I cant see any difference in them. Yamaha added a tube farther back on the frame, moved the mount back and bolted on an a arm.You can do it however you like, but I would make it so it is compatible with a stock style arm so if you ever damage one you can find a replacemnt easily. That being said, I would grab some arms off Ebay to use to mock up the frame, then if you want to build your own arms afterwards they will match up to stock. That is, unless you are going for some custom long travel or wider or wheelbase changing arms.

thanks Meat i didnt know if yamaha moved the shock or not thare is not alot of room too put a bar in on the motor side of the shock because the pipes are right there and the tie rods are also. but i didnt think about angleing the bar so it clears all that. i cant sell this frame because my dad bought this bike new in 88 and we have had it ever since. i got pics of me in dipers setting on it. i can mod it however i want but cant and will never sell it. thanks for the pics and help guys.