Been through three swingarms time for an upgrade

Dgrey

Okay so here is the story. I bought my bike in 2008 and soon upgraded to a +4 swingarm from this guy and it broke at the point where the shock mounts onto it. It was in the 1 year warranty so he replaced it... whatever, still a PITA having to take it off and ship it and want. So within the 1 year of the new one it breaks at the same point and i'm over it now so I take it to a welding shop and have it fully gusseted so avoid future mishap. So my brother and I are on a nice ride at Gordon's and see its cracked on the main tubing area near the carrier. I'm mad, don't ride the rest of the weekend and begin to take it off again when I get home when in taking it off the bottom bolt loop that the carrier is bolted to just falls to the ground because its broken off and just held in place by the clamping pressure. So I give up, i'm out the $200 and decide I need a new stronger swingarm.

I have been looking herebecause he says these ladder bar swing arms are strong and its a decent price. Whatever, I have to buy a honda style carrier, but they are better anyways.

I was reading on the forum and people are talking good about Cascade's swing arms here so they are in the picture too, but frekin EXPENSIVE!

All in all I just need a +4 swingarm that will hold up. I ride the dudes of California, I weigh between 250 & 270 and am 6'4" tall. I don't care about chrome because I will put my own paint on it. I just want something that I can rely on and I don't think that is to much to ask for.

Opinions please! Thanks for listening!

Lance as SLC makes some nice stuff. I have a +4 ladder on my TRX450R from him. It's light, and strong. My ridding buddy has a +8 arched ladder that is 2LBS lighter than that Egay swinger you had.

Your the second guy I have seen that has broke a Egay swinger, The other one that I have seen that failed, the cross brace that holds the shock linkage rotated right out. I think they guy skimps on his materials.

I too have broke a swinger or 2 from the swingarm shop.

Same thing, they broke around the tube where the shock mounts.

I was on a trip in WV, had to take everything apart and was lucky enough that a old timer happened to be a AWESOME welder and he saved my trip.

They did replace 2 that i have broke but it sucks having to been down and out.

Stellar makes some awesome shit, Tim is gonna be building me some suspension components in the next few weeks.

Get in touch with him, great guy and will guide you in the right direction.

Good Luck

buy cheap eby junk what do you expect??

i have a NICE well built +4 for a stock carrier i'd sell its a METALTECH arm. its gots lots of gusseting and support and its cromoly..

i can email you some pics. i'd sell it for 250..

other than that i'd say get a round carrier type arm. stellar's stuff does look good!..

other wise buy one from a company thats been around for a long time. like LSR or lager, or other similar place..

The one place I have always thought to be over looked on the swinger are the linkage mounts. You go out and buy the baddest, beefiest, cromoly piece you can find, and you get two little 1/8" thick brackets that have to transfer 100% of the load into the arm. When I built mine, I went about trussing it differently and have had zero issues absolutely beating the snot out of it. Check out the picture for a better idea...Evan

100_0214.jpg

I know and race with that guy that makes the swingarms.

Let's face it...stock design swingarms are junk to begin with....

That doesn't change the fact that it broke, I'm just saying, roundhouse from the beginning is all.

You do get what you pay for. For every arm that has broke on him, I'm sure he has 10 that have no problems...