cummins high idle video

yamaha04

That sounds odd. You don't have a cam or anything in there? I have an 06 and it idles near 1k normally but sounds nothing like that hot or cold....

Also if your truck was flashed with the high idle feature from the dealer before you bought it, you should be able to bump it up to the max of 1500 rpms using your cruise control... make sure your ebrake is on or some of them dont work.

yeah i got the cruise high idle but this one is different. the truck will idle up after about 2 mins of idleing when cold and it will idle at around 900rpm. when colder it will idle around 1000 and when i use the cruise it idles at 1000rpm then i can accl it right up to 1500 like you said. i think its just the harmonics of everything at 900 rpm that makes it do it. i know its not my injector because i just had them tested, thruck is 100% stock no programmer although i bet people out pay for a lope tune on a common rail cummins lol i had a post on Cumminsfourm.com and there was alot of replies saying they had the same thing. ????? so who knows some people say its normal some people say it not. i personally thing there is two different high idles one that the ecm turns on by itself when cold and the PTo type high idle that you can use with the cruise. because when i use the cruise while my truck is loping the idle will smooth right out.

mine idles higher on this own when its cold as well i think there suppose to do that because ive heard its bad to idle a diesel on low idle for a long time. well thats what my dad says we own a trucking company and we are either suppose to have our trucks off or idle them past 700 if we sit for more than like 5 minutes.

you fucking cummins newbies. LOL. that is perfectly normal, the key being the temps. Below a certain temp it will auto high idle. When it gets really cold, it not only high idles, but it cuts out 3 cylinders to produce even more heat. (hence the lope) this is nothing new, you can even have the 2nd gen 24 valves flashed to do this. Auto high idle is somewhere just below freezing i believe, I think the temp for cylinder cut out is somewhere in the teens. Cant remember, its been too long since i had my truck in the really cold weather.

I asked about this on a Dodge forum I'm on. This is the respones I got:

2nd gen trucks can do that. Our 3rd gen don't need it. When temp is around or below 0 ECM will change injection timing and events. Truck will idle at 1000rpm, and it will sound different than normal. As soon as you touch the brake pedal it will return to normal

I have read both ways, that they do and they dont. What i find odd is that when the high idle is set manually in normal weather, they are smooth as silk, but when activated by cold weather they lope, or at least a lot do. I had believed that they were in fact cutting cylinders. I did read that the computer changes the injection events in response to cold, im not sure why that would make it lope though.

Not really sure. Mine doesn't make any differant sounds hot or cold. I haven't noticed mine kicking in to high idle either though... My truck is kind of wierd. When I was in San Diego and it was 50 degree in the am, my grid heater would come on. But that same year when I went to Omaha and it was like 10 degrees it didn't. :confused:

I dont know, 10 degrees should be cold enought to make it do it. Im pretty sure its never been cold enough in SanD to make it happen though :D Now that i think of it I have never had my 06 in the cold weather either. My 01 kicks into high idle below 30, and it has to be damn close to 0 to cut cylinders. I have only had it cut cylinders 1 time when i was in tahoe and it was snowing like a bitch all night. I was just up at eagle lake last month and it was 12 and it did not cut cylinders. With exhaust break and high idle on, it warms up fast which is really nice. Most of the time if it is that cold out, i plug in the block heater, so it never even high idles