my dads honda is acting up

banshee#44

ok here's whats up my dad has a 2005 honda 450er . All he has is a slip on yoshimura exhaust (no header). When you try to start his bike up it's like it catches and then dies with a very loud clunk and his batter is fully charged. when you do get it started it will idle for a second and then die usually making a lound clunk. is it also backfires like crazy when you let off the throttle,and we cleaned the carbs recently. So if any of you can help that would be great and much apriciated thanks.

ok here's whats up my dad has a 2005 honda 450er . All he has is a slip on yoshimura exhaust (no header). When you try to start his bike up it's like it catches and then dies with a very loud clunk and his batter is fully charged. when you do get it started it will idle for a second and then die usually making a lound clunk. is it also backfires like crazy when you let off the throttle,and we cleaned the carbs recently. So if any of you can help that would be great and much apriciated thanks.

i had a problem like that with an old warrior , check the valves and cam chain,my chain tensioner let go on my and the chain jumped a few teeth

check your valves!!! If you keep doing this your gonna rip the starter clutch out of it.

sounds like it could def. be a jetting issue. if your airbox lid is off, get the HRC kit. put the 162 main in, the 48 pilot, and the 55 leak jet. put the clip on the needle in the middle position. then test it. make sure you check those valves first.

If you have never done the valves, now's a good time to check them! Hard starting is one of the first clues.

Your lean on the fuel screw for sure it sounds like.

What is your jetting at now, and is the air box lid on or off? What is your elevation? Have you ever had it on a dyno to be tuned? The FCR carbs can be a huge pain in the ass. Every letter on the needle is in reference to a different section on the needle, and they all go from A to Z it seams like! Does it have a low end bog?

The starter clutch is know to take a dump if you have cranked on it for long periods of time. I'm not sure if your carb is set up for a hot start, but if it is, get the cable, plunger, and thumb lever. It really helps starting them when warm.

If you have access to a leak-down tester it would be a good idea,this can let you know alot without taking anything apart,use the guage and see if there is air seeping out of your carb/exhaust/etc,your intake side is a shim under bucket design and wears oppisite from conventional set-ups,cam chain tensioner is possible but unlikely inless your messimg with or didnt install it properly

By the way most 450rs end up 185-195 main,no lid,full ex 50 pilot with some motor work stock needle will tune out if your patient