im stumped...

ok so the past few weeks iv been out at my ranch which gave me plenty of time to work on the shee and i was finaly able to resolve my starting problem... so now with it starting i tried jetting it. i started with 340's and worked my way down till it ran good, which ended up being 290's for the mains. but the thing is when u i get to wot it pops and sputters almost like there a rev limiter r somehting.... so i changed the jets out and went up a size and continued to do so but the bike just ran worse the higher i went so i dropped it all the way down to 270's and still nothing. so after this i went back to changing jets out and moving the needle position around with all the jets and still nothing.... so now where it stands is 290 mains, 27.5 pilots, and needle clip in stock location. both carbs have been synched, the choke tube is in place, the float lvl's are at 21mm, and i just replaced all of the fuel lines and removed the inline filter..... also it has new plugs that are gapped to 0.8mm and the pick up gap is 0.018" .... the bike also has good compression runnign 32:1 fuel and i just cleaned the air filter. i also did a leakdown test for shits n giggles wich it passed with flying colors.. so at this point im completely out of ideas and only can think it possibly be an ignition problem?? so if anybody has an idea on what my problem could be i would greatly appreaciate any advice!

Your problem is still in your carbs. do you still run the stock needle? have you changed your pilot? Have you cleaned or adjusted your air screws?

yes it has new carbs on it and im still running the stock needle. i have 27.5 pilot jets in it and tuned my air screws for throttle response, also i have a tors removal kit on the bike as well.... my mods are only pro curcuit pipes and a k&n filter with pro flow adapter..... so i cant think what would be causing this stupid problem banghead

its got brand spankin new plugs in it...... but i guess ill check the pickup gap again just to ease my mind... im just becoming more frustrated the more i try and just want to ride more than nething right now :( ... well i guess ill go over everything for the thousanth time and again if anybody has anymore ideas i would greatly appreciate it. also if anybody knows any shops around midland or odessa texas area that would be worth my time becasue im am seriously out of ideas.....

i was finaly able to resolve my starting problem..pops and sputters almost like there a rev limiter r somehting.... so i changed the jets out and went up a size and continued to do so but the bike just ran worse the higher i went so i dropped it all the way down to 270's and still nothing. so after this i went back to changing jets out and moving the needle position around with all the jets and still nothing

You don't have a starting problem now? It was resolved...right?

'..and still nothing.' That means the jet change didn't effect the sputtering problem, or you're BACK to literally nothing. It won't start.

Did you have the flywheel off?

srry lemme rephrase that..... it starts now which let me try and jet it which has lead me to my next problem.so the problem now is it wont rev all the way out, for example when i get close to WOT in 6th gear it starts to pop and sputter like there is a rev limiter or something and i have gone from 260 through 340 main jets and the problem still remains the same. but no i have not rmeoved the flywheel i just set the pickup gap to what it should be. so basically what i was trying to say is that i have no more ideas why it it poping and sputtering like it does.

I had this exact same problem, mine ran super good and started easy, but when I had it WOT it cut out and sometimes popped, pretty much like a rev limiter. So I adjusted the carbs a little and didnt have any luck so I started messing with the plug wires, and It still didnt help it, but I had another coil laying around and decided it was too simple to swap it out and see, sure enough it fixed it. Havnt had another problem with it since. Hope this helps!!!

yes, i would start going through your electrical. check all ground, even where the coil mounts. remove the caps and see what the wires look like. replace the caps, as mentioned. check the harness for melting/chafing. ohm out the coil on both sides. then, remove your flywheel, correctly, and check for corrosion and all wiring connection and ground points on the stator, including where the timing plate mounts to the engine, and stator. while the fluwheel is off, give it a good firm shake and see if you can hear anything and slide a scewdriver in the inside and see how it jumps from magnet to magnet........also, have you checked the compression and reeds? exhaust obstruction such as a broken silencer core or fuel in the chamber?

its got brand spankin new plugs in it...... but i guess ill check the pickup gap again just to ease my mind... im just becoming more frustrated the more i try and just want to ride more than nething right now :( ... well i guess ill go over everything for the thousanth time and again if anybody has anymore ideas i would greatly appreciate it. also if anybody knows any shops around midland or odessa texas area that would be worth my time becasue im am seriously out of ideas.....

If you cant figure it out.... you have Golden yamaha on 2nt street in odessa but I know of another guy that has a shop on 2nd street in between odessa and midland that specializes in banshees. thats who I woult take it to. hes Good! I forgot the name of the shop but in is on the north side of the road. you cant miss it if your looking for it!

It defininitely could be electrical. Does it have an oem stator? Ricky stators are notorious for breaking up in the higher RPMS could be CDI also. However if it is only breaking up in 6th wide open you could be running out of fuel. Pull the petcock out of the tank and make sure the screens are clean, they get pretty dirty pretty quick if there is shit in the tank or was.

Here's the problem, one if not more than below:

Bad Ground

Shorted wire

Bad coil or end caps

Bad stator (Ricky Stator)

Bad Flywheel (If you take it off and shake it, it'll sound like a maraca...the magnets inside are broken up)

When you've gone all over the jet range like you have, it still runs like shit, it's one of two things.

Air leak or electrical.

You covered the air leak. It's electrical.