ring end gap and piston clearance

T_Shee

sorry to post a question that has prolly been asked a bunch but i found nothing useful with search. im going to try wsm forged platinum series pistons and my question is what exactly should i have them bored at. what ring gap and piston clearance should i tell the shop to cut them at? i wanna go a little on the snug side if possible because i plan on doing a really good break in. but not too tight obviously. thanks guys

sorry to post a question that has prolly been asked a bunch but i found nothing useful with search. im going to try wsm forged platinum series pistons and my question is what exactly should i have them bored at. what ring gap and piston clearance should i tell the shop to cut them at? i wanna go a little on the snug side if possible because i plan on doing a really good break in. but not too tight obviously. thanks guys

Who is doing your work?

Your not gonna have to tell them anything. They know more then you on what to bore the cylinders, assuming its a shop that deal with banshee or two strokes.

I don't think you should have anything to worry about, thats if your going to a shop that know what there doing.

I don't get what your ring gap has to do with doing a really good break in. Doing a really good break in should always be done.

sandman the shop does good work but they generally do automotive work. ive had them bore cylinders in the past with no problems but i just wanna be sure.

thanks for the info dirty. i did finally find on here that .003 is a good piston to cylinder clearance for forged pistons. anyone confirm this? there is no info that came with the pistons and i cant find a # to get ahold of wsm...

Edited by T_Shee

sandman the shop does good work but they generally do automotive work. ive had them bore cylinders in the past with no problems but i just wanna be sure.

thanks for the info dirty. i did finally find on here that .003 is a good piston to cylinder clearance for forged pistons. anyone confirm this? there is no info that came with the pistons and i cant find a # to get ahold of wsm...

If i was you i would check with wsm to see what they recomend. wiseco ring gap is bore x .004. (bore in inches) convert mm to inches divide bore by 25.4.

Since who is doing your work deals with auto engines.

0.012-0.018 inches is for stock cast pistons. is it 0.003 in inches and not 0.03 mm for side cleance, should be fine since 0.02-0.06 mm is for stock cast.

My Wiesco ranged .010 - .013 I set mine at .011 if I recall correctly. I want to say the WSM call for a little looser tolerances but I could be mistaken.

The pistons should come with instructions on measureing your gap. It will say so many thousandths per inch of bore.

Edited by Bansh-eman

I would go no more than .003 " piston clearance on forged pistons with at least .0027

The ring gap on off the shelf pistons will almost always have the ring gap set for whatever the recommended running clearance.I have never had to remove material from the rings to get the correct gap,if anything it is usually wayy on the high side.

Ask your builder what their "tolerance" is..if they think .005 is acceptable,i would run!

• 10 months later...