Smoking out of right pipe only

eschaner

what do the plugs look like? you know that you moved the needle and changed the jet at the same time, so you don't know which it was.....but, you don't really want to lean the needle much....the pro-circuits like a little fuel enrichment to keep the bog down, so move the needle the other way. also, the mains only set the wot getting, not the mid or low. did it sputter @ wot?

if not, i would put it back, and even think about going larger...now, the smoking and the jetting are 2 different things.....

Well I moved the needle back to where it was before. I never ran it at the other setting i moved it to. So I really only changed the main to 260 from 280. I thought about going bigger to try that. I didn't pull the plugs to check them yet. tomorrow is another day.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I moved the needle back to where it was before. I never ran it at the other setting i moved it to. So I really only changed the main to 260 from 280. I thought about going bigger to try that. I didn't pull the plugs to check them yet. tomorrow is another day.

Checked the dip stick for trans and it was low. I know it was full last time I went riding. So that is telling me the crank seal is bad or leaking. Do I have to remove the clutches and basket to change the seal?

Edited by eschaner

well, unfortunately, yah, you have to get the basket out of the way to get the crank gear off. check for crank bearing play, and that the bearing cage is not coming apart while you have the seal out.

Well took the cover and gears off and found the spring on the seal came off and was between the seal and the gear. I did feel any play in the bearing. I know the motor was just rebuilt when I bought it a couple months ago. Do I need to put silicone around the seal or just a little oil?

haha, well, now..........how much up and down play did you feel?. you should clean the case surfaces with carb cleaner on a rag, and install it with spit...yes, spit.....it will dry out quickly and hold better. you can put a little oil from your trans on the sealing surface where it rides the shaft. the best thing would be to flip it over and replace the bearing and seal correctly......

haha, well, now..........how much up and down play did you feel?. you should clean the case surfaces with carb cleaner on a rag, and install it with spit...yes, spit.....it will dry out quickly and hold better. you can put a little oil from your trans on the sealing surface where it rides the shaft. the best thing would be to flip it over and replace the bearing and seal correctly......

I am sorry for the misprint. I did not have any play, sorry. I did change the seal But I could not tap it in because of the lip on the outside of the seal. So I cut it off and used a little silicone and tapped it in. Let it dry and put all back together and stopped smoking. Now hopefully it will be ok the way I did it.

oh.....i hope that holds........that ridge is what really holds it in place and silicone breaks down into bologna rubber with gas contact.......i would personally do it again..........maybey a small amount of mineral oil to help get it in.....

oh.....i hope that holds........that ridge is what really holds it in place and silicone breaks down into bologna rubber with gas contact.......i would personally do it again..........maybey a small amount of mineral oil to help get it in.....

Oh great. Thats not what I wanted to hear.

I am sorry for the misprint. I did not have any play, sorry. I did change the seal But I could not tap it in because of the lip on the outside of the seal. So I cut it off and used a little silicone and tapped it in. Let it dry and put all back together and stopped smoking. Now hopefully it will be ok the way I did it.

I tried that once it lasted about a day,then blew out.Best way is to split the case and do it right.Good luck. :shrugani:

Just gonna run it until it goes. Then gonna change it. I would rather not split it.

i have heard tale that you can do it the same way without splitting the cases or trimming it with success, if that makes you feel any better. but, if you run that thing up a hill when it goes, it will be pulling in air, not oil and melt a piston.......happend plenty of times to guys on here....

i have heard tale that you can do it the same way without splitting the cases or trimming it with success, if that makes you feel any better. but, if you run that thing up a hill when it goes, it will be pulling in air, not oil and melt a piston.......happend plenty of times to guys on here....

If you oil the seal alot and tap it in evenly it will hold. i Changed mine out at Silverlake in Michigan last year in the parking lot, mine held and knock on wood i havent had a problem since. Just find something that is the right diameter for the seal and tap it evenly. Dont get me wrong cracking the case is the "right" way to do it, but i you take your time and dont force the seal in you can manage without cracking the cases. DONT USE SILICONE, it'll peal away and get sucked into your crank, or into your clutch. horrible idea to use silicone.

Is it hard to split the case?