im just not ment to ride,......

ok so the other day one of the kick starter springs broke and my quad started making this nasty knocking noise so i took it apart and replaced the broken spring and put it all back together and guess what still makes the knocking noise coming from inside the gear case..... so what im thinking when the spring broke the pieces found thier way somewhere else and f*^%ked somthing else up to..... so now im in the process of taking everything out and need some advise on taking the clutch basket off theres a big ass bolt holding what im guessing the be that basket on and it just spins freely. so im wondering on how to remove this and what size socket i need or just if anybody knows whta the problem could even be?? anyways if anybody has any advice i would greatly be appreciated cause i have a bumch of friends coming in a week or so to go on a trip to go ride and right now it looks like im not gonna get to go :(

yo, first off, try using some punctuation in your post. when you type the whole post as one whole sentence it makes it hard for people to follow. if you want help, use some punctuation..

that said, there is no reason to take off the clutch basket. if there is a piece left in there, its down at the bottom.. check under the basket and in the surrounding area. if you cant find anything there, i recommend draining the oil and using a small magnet to try to pull any loose metal out.

remember, it wouldnt take much for a piece of metal to get wedged in between gears and tear all kinds of shit up.

On that note check your drive and driven gears.I have chiped a piece of gear tooth off and it sounds like a bad knock.I bet the piece of spring got inbetween the gears and chiped a tooth.

I second this. I've found this on my blaster and now the shee i'm putting together is the same way. The broken pieces of spring get picked up between the two gears and it's game over. Sounds like a motor knock and the only way to fix it is a new basket.

and now the depression sets in.... well thanks for the advice guys i really do appreciate it, but from what your saying that somthing as small as a chipped tooth will cause a knocking noise?? Because i noticed that the noise is constant and the bike starts, runs, shifts, and does everything it should it just makes that noise. i havnt run it but for a few seconds in the fear of breaking something worse... but i still figured that something like a damaged gear would be the culprit... so i guess im going to start pulling gears and checking them over and see what horrors i find :(

i know its just gears genrally cost a big chunk o' change and i kinda short on money right now.... lol all i have to say is college aint cheap.... but thanks for the help and i just need to sit down and do it, but here are some pictures i took for shits n giggles. prolly wont tell u anything but hell it cant hurt, although it does look pretty damn good in there for being an 87 :)

Photo0220.jpg

Photo0221.jpg

Photo0223.jpg

Photo0224.jpg

Photo0225.jpg

ok so from my understanding i shouldnt have to really take anything else off to see whats wrong with it, just basically put the ass end up on blocks and spin the gears. well then again it makes the noise when its idling so that should isolate the bad gears to the ones that always move and i shouldnt have to remove anymove gears to find the porblem or is there more behind the basket that could be a problem??