Which Head?

bansheesandrider

None of the aftermarket heads use a stock style head gasket, they all use orings. IMO and i have installed all of the above the noss design is superior to all the one piece designs for a couple of reasons. You cannot get the coolant volume from machining all the volume from one piece that you can get from the two piece head. 2nd if you install a 2 piece head its easier to make sure that you didnt pinch a dome oring than with a single piece because you can set the bottom plate on the clyinder with the domes in it or on the head vs installing it as a hole assembly (like i said this is my opinion and prefrence). 3rd as far as performance goes a dome is only as good as the designer or design, and the Noss off the shelf domes are a better dome than the others imo. And David also allows us as builders to custom design your dome to fit your motor not just a universal one size fits all, now i can not speak for pro design, or chariot because i have never tried to custom cut a set of there domes but david has usually a 1 day turn around on all our custom stuff.

Coolant volume is easily achieved with a one piece head. As you stated though volume is not the key. direction and flow and "not impeding flow are the keys. Our head performs as well as the Noss head. The Noss head is a good head just a different style. As far as domes we have cut thousands but we do not cut custom domes. Noss is the guy for custom domes, no doubt. As far as cookie cutter domes ours are not. Any builder who has used our domes and cut them will tell you that our aluminum is harder by far than any other aluminum used by other dome manufacturers. Yes, we use 6061 t6511 while many others use only 6061 or 6061 t6. The main difference, for that section size material, is simply the artifical aging which produces toughness (to be simple). Toughness is very important for banshee domes because of the thin oring retaining wall on the dome. In addition we use the highest, absolutely highest quality aluminum you can purchase. Cut on one of our domes and cut on any other dome out there and you will easily see the difference in toughness I am referring to. You may even brake your tools if you cut like you were cutting other domes. As far as the dome being only as good as the designer, I can reply again. Once again, Noss does a great job and knows domes. I doubt that he has any engine builders in his back pocket who are any better than the ones I aquire knowledge from. Having said that we do not do custom domes so in that respect we have cookie cutter domes-but. But we have design characteristics in ours which others don't because they accomodate the guys who take any dome and any gasket and don't check squish or even consider it. We accomodate those who want a performing dome.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't want to start anything, and maybe I misunderstand the phrase 'in my back pocket' but most of the builders and manufacturers I do business with are at the top of their profession. They are the ones setting records. I consider most of them 'friends' not 'in my back pocket'. I don't like dropping names so I don't list all of them; it kind of seems unprofessional to do that.

A lot of these guys are certainly capable of making their own heads and domes, many have the CNC equipment to do so, but find it a better use of their time to have me do it. A few dollars savings on a head or a set of domes, or some other product for that matter, isn't as important as getting a quality product in a short period of time. I appreciate their loyalty and do my best to earn it.

I've not heard anything bad about any of the heads mentioned in this thread so I'm not slamming anyone.

I just want to clarify where wrong conclusions could have been drawn.

-David

David,

Thanks for the reply. I was meaning to show you a lot of respect in our reply. "In your back pocket" was not meant to be derogatory, but true it did need clarification. I just meant that I acquire knowledge from a lot of the same builders for our standard domes. We don't cut custom domes and do acknowledge that you have tremendous service and great pricing. Further we haven't heard anything but great reviews and comments about your products both from customers and dealers.

Jerry

What I kind of gathered from the "in your back pocket" was your personal choice of builders. The ones you recommend over others. I guess some could take it the wrong way where it was just meant as a figure of speech. Not to mean harm in any way.

If I would have known about these two heads before I made my bad decision I would have ended up with something better than the trinity. Don't get me wrong it is a nice head. But I think I could get more power elsewhere.

Jerry,

I guess I just that phrase used so much when hearing about politicians. Sorry if I took it wrong. Your products get great reviews also.

The guys here on BHQ tend to weed out the bad guys pretty quick.

-David

Coolant volume is easily achieved with a one piece head. As you stated though volume is not the key. direction and flow and "not impeding flow are the keys. Our head performs as well as the Noss head. The Noss head is a good head just a different style. As far as domes we have cut thousands but we do not cut custom domes. Noss is the guy for custom domes, no doubt. As far as cookie cutter domes ours are not. Any builder who has used our domes and cut them will tell you that our aluminum is harder by far than any other aluminum used by other dome manufacturers. Yes, we use 6061 t6511 while many others use only 6061 or 6061 t6. The main difference, for that section size material, is simply the artifical aging which produces toughness (to be simple). Toughness is very important for banshee domes because of the thin oring retaining wall on the dome. In addition we use the highest, absolutely highest quality aluminum you can purchase. Cut on one of our domes and cut on any other dome out there and you will easily see the difference in toughness I am referring to. You may even brake your tools if you cut like you were cutting other domes. As far as the dome being only as good as the designer, I can reply again. Once again, Noss does a great job and knows domes. I doubt that he has any engine builders in his back pocket who are any better than the ones I aquire knowledge from. Having said that we do not do custom domes so in that respect we have cookie cutter domes-but. But we have design characteristics in ours which others don't because they accomodate the guys who take any dome and any gasket and don't check squish or even consider it. We accommodate those who want a performing dome.

I did not mean to sound derogatory towards your product and im sorry if you took it that way. My post was meant to show people the amazing customer service and quality of work that David has. We just like that we can design our own dome to our specs and have it made in a very timely fashion. We have 5 cnc machines and could make are own domes very easily but like David said its not a efficient use of our time when he can do it for us (plus he is a local for us). David produces heads for some of the top builders in the country and has very good designs of his own as well. And sometimes custom is absolutely necessary because of decking issues, custom build issues, whatever they may be but for us is necessary. Seeing that squish is a very small but important part of dome design there are many other factors that we change from motor to motor. I have to say that Davids material has never been an issue before and seems to be adequate for our and many others needs, not that im trying to take anything away from your product.

• 3 weeks later...

I didn't think you were putting our product down. I just used the opportunity to point out that we do in fact offer domes of high quality.

Thanks

Jerry

Whats the price difference of chariot and noss? Is ebay the same price or do we get a little better price?

I always go NOSS personally. All my engines have my designs but David cuts them for me. The poor guy probably shreeks when he sees me on caller ID because he has seen me through years of R&D and has produced some pretty unorthodox designs for me. But he always delivers, doesn't try to second guess me, and does fantastic work. Thanks Dave!!!!...Jim

Edited by PassionRE

I havent ever seen a head for a Banshee from them. Thought they do sleds?

They do banshee heads as well. Problem with the torque-line/ RK Tek heads is that your limited to "Their" domes.. Nothing interchanges and if you need custom domes... only one place to get them. Puts you in the same boat as trinity. Not to mention the head is over $300. Atleast for my motor it was.