Which Head?

bansheesandrider

Which aftermarket head is the best? I have heard that the ProDesign does not direct the coolant flow properly through the motor and you have to change the studs. The Noss head you don't have to change studs, they claim it directs coolant flow properly but it uses O-rings which some guys have had problems getting to seal. Then there is the Modquad head- it is one piece so it doesn't have O-rings, or at least as many, it uses the stock studs and it supposedly directs coolant flow properly. But are the domes compatible with Noss or ProDesign. I like the idea of being able to use a stock type of head gasket as it is easier to get parts when we are at the dunes. So give me your opinions of which one is best AND WHY.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Which aftermarket head is the best? I have heard that the ProDesign does not direct the coolant flow properly through the motor and you have to change the studs. The Noss head you don't have to change studs, they claim it directs coolant flow properly but it uses O-rings which some guys have had problems getting to seal. Then there is the Modquad head- it is one piece so it doesn't have O-rings, or at least as many, it uses the stock studs and it supposedly directs coolant flow properly. But are the domes compatible with Noss or ProDesign. I like the idea of being able to use a stock type of head gasket as it is easier to get parts when we are at the dunes. So give me your opinions of which one is best AND WHY.

the modquad head does work with noss and prodesign domes. But there is modquad domes also. i am a modquad dealer and can get u a great deal on the modquad one with domes. There are a few colors also. Billet, anodized black, blue and red. Let me no if u want one. I will get u a great deal I never sell at retail. Pm me if interested

the modquad head does work with noss and prodesign domes. But there is modquad domes also. i am a modquad dealer and can get u a great deal on the modquad one with domes. There are a few colors also. Billet, anodized black, blue and red. Let me no if u want one. I will get u a great deal I never sell at retail. Pm me if interested

So who's dome is best? For a stock stroke mild dune port? How about for a 4 mil dune port stock cylinder?

chariot is a site sponsor aswell and does a 1 piece head (uses noss domes)

noss is also a great head and is a two piece, both of these heads use o-rings which i havent had any problems with.

they both direct the water, they both have interchangeable domes and they both do the same thing.

one or the other you'll be fine.

for the 4mm, youll have to ask noss to send you some stroker domes.

Edited by dirtydownunder

I've used both NOSS and Chariot.

Dave Noss is a great guy who will help you out on a second's notice.

Jerry @ Chariot puts out a lot of great products and is a fellow MI guy as well.

I currently use the Chariot head because of two main reasons.

Functionality and looks.

It has less Orings to begin with, comes with nice brass washers and heavy duty 14mm chrome acorn nuts...and is one piece instead of two.

In my opinion...and it's only my opinion, I like the looks better as well. His chrome is top notch.

Either way, you're making a good choice. Both sponsors of the HQ, both very helpful guys with great products.

But you can only run one head on your bike at a time....so you have to choose...:)

Unless you want to buy one of each and make them both happy....:lol:

im all about the site sponsors, so i wouldnt consider anything other than the NOSS or chariot. both are great people to deal with.

I guess I'm just the loley site sponsor that's trying too start a businees out of my own pocket and can only offer you a great deal on a head

From the place that has helped me out by letting me dell there product. Mabey someday I will come up and be able too produce my own parts but for now imjust trying too represent the hq

And offer up the best deals I can. I'm not knockin anyone here and all the sponsors are awesome. I guess I just haven't been around long enoght too get the recognition yet.

Pretty tight knit group here Alf, and as said you are the new guy...

I've noticed some smoking deals you've posted, your time will come.

Work the boards, PM members, the more members who buy from you start spreading the word.

Do something to distance yourself from the others....

What your doing is very tough. I tried to do something similar in a much smaller scale, this economy is just terrible and you're in a cut throat business...

Just keep plugging away!

I guess I'm just the loley site sponsor that's trying too start a businees out of my own pocket and can only offer you a great deal on a head

From the place that has helped me out by letting me dell there product. Mabey someday I will come up and be able too produce my own parts but for now imjust trying too represent the hq

And offer up the best deals I can. I'm not knockin anyone here and all the sponsors are awesome. I guess I just haven't been around long enoght too get the recognition yet.

I like to support the site, but I also like to deal local. Since I am across the river and over the hill in North Plains, OR, I will probably go with you Alf if I decide on a ModQuad. Right now I am still trying to decide what I am going to build for a motor. I am thinking I want a long rod 4 mil but I don't know if the cylinders I have now will work because they have already been ported. If I have to get different cyls. I am looking at possibly the Twister small block top end. Right now I am trying to just figure things out, but I can't really start building as I lost my job back in March, so I am just researching different things and see what I can afford. Hell, I was supposed to be just putting my current motor in an a arm frame and then I ended up with another set of cases, so now I am thinking I just want to add a other bike to the stable.

None of the aftermarket heads use a stock style head gasket, they all use orings. IMO and i have installed all of the above the noss design is superior to all the one piece designs for a couple of reasons. You cannot get the coolant volume from machining all the volume from one piece that you can get from the two piece head. 2nd if you install a 2 piece head its easier to make sure that you didnt pinch a dome oring than with a single piece because you can set the bottom plate on the clyinder with the domes in it or on the head vs installing it as a hole assembly (like i said this is my opinion and prefrence). 3rd as far as performance goes a dome is only as good as the designer or design, and the Noss off the shelf domes are a better dome than the others imo. And David also allows us as builders to custom design your dome to fit your motor not just a universal one size fits all, now i can not speak for pro design, or chariot because i have never tried to custom cut a set of there domes but david has usually a 1 day turn around on all our custom stuff.

Pretty tight knit group here Alf, and as said you are the new guy...

I've noticed some smoking deals you've posted, your time will come.

Work the boards, PM members, the more members who buy from you start spreading the word.

Do something to distance yourself from the others....

What your doing is very tough. I tried to do something similar in a much smaller scale, this economy is just terrible and you're in a cut throat business...

Just keep plugging away!

Thanks man. Yes it is a tight knit group here. And I do appreceiate when you do comment on the good deals I have or specials Im running.

I like to support the site, but I also like to deal local. Since I am across the river and over the hill in North Plains, OR, I will probably go with you Alf if I decide on a ModQuad. Right now I am still trying to decide what I am going to build for a motor. I am thinking I want a long rod 4 mil but I don't know if the cylinders I have now will work because they have already been ported. If I have to get different cyls. I am looking at possibly the Twister small block top end. Right now I am trying to just figure things out, but I can't really start building as I lost my job back in March, so I am just researching different things and see what I can afford. Hell, I was supposed to be just putting my current motor in an a arm frame and then I ended up with another set of cases, so now I am thinking I just want to add a other bike to the stable.

I do hope I can help you out. I am trying too let the pacific nw riders no theres another option for parts and services. I dont have the overhead like cascade, white knuckle, and all the others around here. Thats why I no I can have the best prices on some parts and accessories. Ecspecially modquad stuff. Word of mouth is key. So thanks for the support and let the west coast know theres a new player in the game and hes not goin anywhere. Hes gonna make it!!! Thanks dude.