Anybody have a Droid yet?

rubberneck

My phone is taking a crap and i have been trying to limp it alon until the end of january so i can drop verizon and get an I-phone. Well verizon just released the Droid, and i am interested. Just dont want to make a mistake and wish i would have gone for the I-phone and then be strapped to verizon for another 2 years. So anybody know anything about the droid. I mostly want to be able to surf the web get my emails and listen to music.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know much about the Droid, but I have the iPhone and LOVE it. I switched from verizon to at&t to get it., and don't regret it at all. I prefered the verizon service over at&t though. Also read somewhere the early termination fee with the Droid is going to be $350 to keep people from signing up to sell them. I notice also that everone compares their phone to the iPhone too. Kind of like people trying to sell Hondas, all the adds say "just like a Harley" or trying to sell 400ex's that are "fast as a Banshee". If i have any complaint with the Iphone, it's that not all emails load and you can't view all videos, depending on their formats.

I'm a hard core blackberry guy now. I'll be looking at the droid soon, just to test...but I hate touch screen phones. Too much to go wrong.

I use a blackberry for work...and when I find a phone that does email, calendar, contacts and tasks as well as RIM (Research in Motion, creator of the blackberry) I'll make the jump...but until then, for email and work...BB is it.

I've been reading up on the droid. It's speed and availability of apps is very impressive.

Of course it's an IPhone competitor, for a long time it was the number 1 selling phone...

Obviously, each year companies expand their coverage. But in the past I've had Nextel, ATT (Cingular then) and sprint.

Verizon by far has the best coverage for me....

They're hyping the shit out of the droid. Go to a store and put your hands on one and see what you think.

I hate touch screen phones. Too much to go wrong.

i am concerned about this without a doubt, i dont have a good history with phones, i tend to be a little tough on them. I guess i will have to change my ways if i go to a smart phone.

Go to a store and put your hands on one and see what you think.

Yeah, that is my next step i guess, just wanted to talk to some guys that had one in their hands and get their opinions. Im not a real tech savy guy and i know there are several guys here that are into that kind of stuff

Look into Otterbox. They are pricey...but they are the best protection you can buy.

I have a Body Glove for my curve 8330. It's got a THICK plastic cover for the screen and it's a textured rubberized coating for the case. It's damn tough. They're about 20 on ebay or 30 in the store.

Funny...I just talked to my Verizon rep, he's bringing me by a Droid to check out....we're going over our billing and plans/minutes, and he mentioned he was out last week for a day to go over the details of the Droid Launch.

Phil from what I have heard there has been a lot of good and bad reviews for the droid. I get all my info from crackberry.com. The reviews that I have heard say that it’s a little bulky, no blackberry messenger (well hello it’s not a blackberry!!) The keyboard is a little small; it feels like it wants to break. Plus the iPhone has a million apps. They have more apps then they know what to-do with. The positives, it's a dense phone doesn’t feel cheap at all. Applications load super quick, camera is super intense. The Droid all is able to multi-task, battery status; it tells you what’s taking the most out of your battery at that time so that you can close the application. Removable battery, and SD card, so you can add pictures, videos, or pictures. Are you a gmail person, or is your email through yahoo, msn......something like that? I think that if you ask an iphone user of course they are going to say its the best phone they have ever had, then you ask a droid user and they are going to respond with its the best phone ever! I was personally thinking about getting the droid but was also told that Verizon is going to be coming out with a couple more phones towards the end of the year. I wasn’t able to find out what phones they were but was just told that Verizon is doing an entire new launch of phones. I personally have the BB storm, and of course I love it. I will be the first to admit sometimes it gives me problems and I want to huck it into the free way!!! But overall it’s an awesome phone. The original OS that came with it was slow man, I’m a texter or even replying to emails it was such a pain in the ass because the phone couldn’t keep up. It doesn’t take some getting use to not having buttons to actually touch. The cool thing about the phone is that its heat activated, so it won’t random dial in your pocket because it needs the heat off your fingers. But they just released the new OS and I was impressed. Now I can’t keep up with the texting. The thing loads so much faster, it does have a tendensity to get ahead of itself and doesn’t know what to-do, so it locks, but give it a minute and it will come out. I do like that fact that if I’m sitting at my computer I will receive emails on my phone before my email gets them! With the droid you can have it set so you get them instantly which probably will suck your battery more, or you can set it to check your emails in intervals. Personally I wouldn’t want to get an email and not know, until 15 minutes later. does that make sense? The storm 2 I heard comes already loaded with the new OS and it has wifi. This is actually what phone I'm leaning more towards. My next option would be the BB tour. The tour is the same as the storm but just has a full keyboard. Like Dave said he likes his curve. It’s basically the new curve. I had the curve for my previous work phone and I totally dug it. I could blaze on the keyboard because you can actually touch buttons, and I didn’t actually miss the touch screen, I just missed the screen size that the storm has to offer. This is where I go back to saying I like the droid screen size and keyboard but I would miss my blackberry messenger and not being able to see my emails as soon as I get them. Hopefully this has helped you, but as Dave has previously said just go to the store and take about an hour and spend about 20 mins on each phone, the things people don’t do is things that they would be using the phone for, such as text messages, internet, phone dialing, or even how it fits too your face or what it feels like. Also they like the phone buy it then don’t like it because of such and such but they didn’t do such and such when they played with the phone at the store. Hopefully I gave you some things to think about but I'm telling you right now, once you get a "smart phone" you will never go back to that enV!!!!!!!

WOW I DIDN'T REALIZE I WAS WRITING A PAPER, SORRY THAT ITS SO LONG! BUT I KNOW ALL YOU HAVE IS TIME!

Actually....wait till next year when the Curve 2 comes out. All the good stuff of the Tour without the price increase.

WiFi, 3G, more memory, track pad instead of trackball and it'll be the budget based blackberry.

We have hosted exchange (business email but we don't have it in-house) with a Blackberry relay server attached. I get my email on my phone most of the time quicker than outlook.

it's a good and bad thing. I have a habit of replying right away...but, that's easier on a full computer...if I just wanna wait.

My rep brought one by today. Despite how sleek it looks, it's a brick. I'm talking heavy...which tells me it's constructed right.

It still had the cellophane on it and wasn't activated, so...I didn't see any reason to turn it on and test drive it yet.

I'll hit the store and try out a live one....

There is one bad thing about the heat activated phone. A coworker had one like that before, heat activated. Pressing it against his cheek cause all kinds of issues.

Now...there may be setting to lock the screen when it's on a call, but he's kinda savvy, I'd be surprised if he didn't figure it out.

cool thanks guys, im gonna go in there next week i think and just take a look at everything. I have to do something cause my env is about dead, randomly shuts down, no battery life. My contract with verizon isnt up untill feb, and no way this phone is going to last this long, so more than likely I have a feeling i will be going to the droid over the I -phone. To be perfectly honest with you i dont really know what i want in a phone, I dont even know what options there are as far as features, i just wanted something that i could surf the net on. I never really thought about email and such, but that would kick ass.. Thanks for all the info on the blackberry, austin but you lost me. I dont even know what the hell blackberry messenger is, ive never used one. i get my email through clearwire, which i check online now, so i guess it would work fine with any phonethat has net access, but it would be cool to get notification, ill have to ask them if that is possible with clearwire. Ill call you this week, so you can explain everything to me aand tell me what i want cause i sure as hell dont know LOL

well, hardly any of the important questions are answered on this phone. basically, what hardware and options/features it has. it took over a month untill i could find out that it actually does have touch screen. now, it has the motion/position sensing, but how finite is that? my samsung eternity has the motion, but, either it is nothing like the iphone with it's leveling feature, or there is no avaiable apps to envoke the feature. it does read shaking, slight tilt, and invertion, but i believe most are like me and just want it to do cool things. i absolutely abhore apple, but it is hard to overlook the pupil-dialating features, even though the external speaker really sucks, among other things. also, i wonder if they sport the same builds as previous motorollas, which were nice out of the box, but highly unreliable, especially with frequent x-ray exposure. also, on the touch issue from the cheek durring calls. it is easily fixed by intuitive programing, like as my samsung comes from the box. you still have pinpoint controll, but no unintentional button pushing. however, i hav a thin-film touch membrane as opposed to the heat/synaps touch which i have personally seen prove more than it's worth in reliability and durability, greater than the glass which it operates from.

i havent used the droid as i have an iphone.. but im hard as fuck on this thing. i work concrete construction and i keep it in my back pocket most of the time. its always exposed to dust, dirt and concrete. ive never had an issue. i even dropped the thing straight into concrete one time. wiped it off and it was good to go. i have a hard cover on it and ive dropped it from as high as 6 feet with no issues.

email is easy on it. tons of apps for anything and everything.

i used to have a blackberry and this thing is 100x easier to use for email.

the camera is great on it. now we have picture messaging.

i dont know, im pretty fucking hard on my shit due to work and ive yet to have an issue. ive had mine since february and with a clear plastic cover on the face, it doesnt have one scratch on it.

Our Construction guy is getting the Droid.

I'll literally have it in 1/2 an hour. I have to set it up tonight and tomorrow for our company email, etc.

You bet I'll be test driving it a bit...

Loco, you hear ATT is trying to sue Verizon for the "we have a map for that" about ATT's shitty 3G coverage?

Hilarious.....

Loco, you hear ATT is trying to sue Verizon for the "we have a map for that" about ATT's shitty 3G coverage?

Hilarious.....

no i didnt. wouldnt surprise me. the 3g is def limited to certain areas. good thing for me is that i mainly use my phone to make calls so i dont have to worry about it too much.

i figure all phone companies have something wrong with them.. its too bad att has the worst phones of all the companies. seems like verizon, sprint etc all have a better selection of phones.