rz transmission

sandman81

I'm thinking about do a rz transmission i just don't know what need to be done.

Can I use the same case as my stock banshee? Do i have a option of making it over ride? Or any other mod that i would need to do to make it work.

What are the benefits of doing so? The reason I"m thinking of doing the mod is because i have been looking at the difference in gear ratio between the two and the rz has a better top speed.

why do you need to go that fast?? maybe you should try changing the gears on your bike first and see if you like that?? im sure you could prolly find the speed you are looking for with gearing changes. you are gonna need alot of power to pull those long ass gears.

toss a 16 or 17 tooth on the front and drop a couple teeth in the rear and see if you like that first.

a trans swap will require a teardown also and that is alot of work compared to gearing changes...

why do you need to go that fast?? maybe you should try changing the gears on your bike first and see if you like that?? im sure you could prolly find the speed you are looking for with gearing changes. you are gonna need alot of power to pull those long ass gears.

toss a 16 or 17 tooth on the front and drop a couple teeth in the rear and see if you like that first.

a trans swap will require a teardown also and that is alot of work compared to gearing changes...

Im just trying to get as much info on the swap and what it would require. The teardown is no big deal since im going to doing a override. I figured, get info on the rz and see if that will be a good route to take.

I have googled all i could find but it hasn't really helped me, hoped some one on here would give me the pros and cons. I have heard some guys having it done, on here.

Ok first things first, yes you can use your stock cases. The difference between the banshee and RZ for the most part are as follows. The RZ has different gear ratios as you mentioned, and the RZ forks have bearings in the pins that ride in the shift drum where as the banshee pins are solid. I have heard the drums are different, but i had them side by side and they looked and measured identical, so i think that is false. Honestly I think you are wasting your time for several reasons. First since your screen name is sandman, im assuming you are running in the sand. i can not in any way see how larger gear splits would be beneficial. if anything closer would be better IMHO. If you want more top speed gear up with sprockets. That is my opionion on the gear splits. Now as far as the override goes, the problem you are going to have is that you will have to find the RZ gears first which isnt all that easy anymore, then you will have to have that transmission sent out and cut along with its drum. That means down time. if you stick with banshee gear stacks, you can simply exchange yours for an override that any of the sponsors have in stock. Not to mention if you have any problems, you are stuck with trying to find another RZ set of gears to modify down the road. And last but not least, I have RZ shift forks and drum in one of my banshees, and honestly it doesnt really seem to make that much of a difference from my other bike. Both bikes have modded shift stars and shift shafts. One has stock drum and forks the other the RZ stuff. they both feel about the same. bottom line make sure all the parts are in good shape and adjusted correctly, and the RZ stuff just doesnt matter that much. You are doing an override, so dont worry about it at all.

Hahahaha, im actually sandman for another reason, my screen name and the fact that i play in the sand is just a coincidence.

But thanks grizzly and rubberneck, you guys answered my questions. The lack of parts and having to send them out was not a concern since i was planning on buy doubles, incase i messed up one set. Looks like stock trans it is.

But if anybody else can give me more info, just so i can have more knowledge on the subject that would be great.

Two things about cutting an RZ Tranny.

One, they are becoming more scarce than banshee trannies. If you have spares, keep them.

Two, the ratios. If you're ok with that...move on.

We've cut RZ trannies for override in a banshee based motor, no biggie.

The only reason I'd do it is for the ratios...especially if I wanted to run 1/8 and 1/4 mile. You wouldn't have to run as exotic of sprockets (read...expensive sprockets...)

The only reason I'd do it is for the ratios...especially if I wanted to run 1/8 and 1/4 mile. You wouldn't have to run as exotic of sprockets (read...expensive sprockets...)

I was hoping to be able to run 1/8 to 1/4, but was hoping 1st threw 4th wouldnt hurt me when running 300ft but i guess from what the other guys have said it is not a good a idea.

See, around here we dont have much sand to play in, just are backyard racing. But we do have a pretty good asphalt drag track and it would be fun to open her up out on the track.

So looks like back to plan A. :headbang:

http://bansheehq.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=121591

here is a little info on this topic from the past.

I have been investigating this topic for a couple months and will definitely be swapping when I go 10mil with a vitos big block. less of that shift, shift, shift, pray......... and alot more click, I'm haulin :bolt:

my combo will be -Rz drum with whitaker drum mod and cryo treatment

-Rz cluster with E-Z shift cut and cryo treatment

-stock cases trenched and WELDED and cryo treated

W-C-R http://www.w-c-r.com/PRICING.htm they can make ur rz parts stronger

http://bansheehq.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=121591

I have been investigating this topic for a couple months and will definitely be swapping when I go 10mil with a vitos big block. less of that shift, shift, shift, pray......... and alot more click, I'm haulin :bolt:

Yeah i have been working on this idea for quit some time also and the only thing that i was unable to find was if the transmission from the rz would go right in the case of the banshee or if any mods would need to be done.

Looking at the RZ 350, from the numbers i have came up with i feel confident in being able to launch in 2nd im just concern that 2nd-4th might be to long of a stretch.

I know Yamaha changed the ratio from the rz350 to the banshee for a reason, it's just that those reason didn't take in to account the power happy, adrenaline junky crazy fuck.

I still got alot of research i need to do before my decision is written in stone.

Let me know how it goes when you end up doing it.

What about running a different set of primary gears (crank and clutch basket gears) then running a standard banshee transmission. That way if you didnt like it you could aways pop the clutch cover off and change it. They make different ratio's.

josh

I wasn't aware of that. Ill look in to that, if you got some sites that will be better.

what over ride do you plan on going with? most of the over ride transmissions I have seen remove 6th gear... so no your a gear down.... yes some companies are cutting 1-6 trannys but if you are doing anything other than drag racing good luck getting it to hold up....

If go banshee, then it will be 1-5 duneable.

http://bansheehq.com...howtopic=121591

You're wasting your money on all of that.

The RZ Drum has a roller bearing on the end. What Whitaker does to the drum is the same thing....for a banshee. The machines down the end and puts a roller bearing on it.

Getting your stockers welded and cryo is a total waste of money IMO.

Unless you're putting in a big pin rod or a longer than 115mm rod, there's no need to have them welded...

You're getting an EZ shift cut, not an override...correct?