Welding FMF fattys?

Smokestack

Ok guys. I have a hole in my left side pipe from where it smashed into the motor mount. The two bottom mount bolts were gone. SO i got all new mounts. Good to go there. My question is since i dont have the cash for new pipes is. Would it be possible to just cut out the dent and hole and weld a peice of metal over it? I have used a few different types of JB-weld on it :rotflmao: with no luck of course. When the hole is plugged it does run great. But once the jb comes off its loud and runs like crap :angry:. I just wanted to know if its possible before i waste the time looking for a good welder in my area.

Are they really aluminum? The ones I have welded were "aluminized". (including an FMF on a dirtbike) I think it is a super thin coating of aluminium on top of the steel.

Although it was too thin for my flux core (blows holes right through it). I have successfully welded pipes with an oxy/acetylene torch. This includes a repair like you need.

While you have a hole in it I would use a slide hammer and pop the dent out. Then make a contured patch and have them weld it over the hole.

Thats the plan. The hole is in the dent. So im just going to cut out the dent and all and have a shop patch it. Thanks for all the replies :headbang: I hope to find someone around here that will do it. I went to a few shops and they all said they couldnt weld it :angry: SO........now i just gotta find someone that will. Or maybe buy a welder :confused:

Thats the plan. The hole is in the dent. So im just going to cut out the dent and all and have a shop patch it. Thanks for all the replies :headbang: I hope to find someone around here that will do it. I went to a few shops and they all said they couldnt weld it :angry: SO........now i just gotta find someone that will. Or maybe buy a welder :confused:

you need a precision welder, someone that specializes in welding. i got both my pipes done for around $37 equivalent. get a yellow pages and see.......

All FMF pipes that I know of are steel pipes with a nickel coating. The nickel coating might give off fumes that could make the person welding sick. That is the only reason I see for saying they can't weld them. You should be able to either TIG, wire feed, or Oxy/Acety weld them, but TIG will look the best.

They are stamp steal pipes. if you can pop out the dent that would be better but if not you can make a patch and weld it in. you will have to grind the coating away in order to weld. I have done this a few times. TiG welding would make it look better but MiG will work just fine.

too thin for flux core? are you nuts? just need to adjust it. the little lincoln weldpack 100 i have is only used for that thin gauge steel with flux core. i can not only pull the dent and zip the crack, but fill the blowthrough, then resurface it for plating or painting. a nice mig like the miller 251 with small wire would be alot nicer and quicker without having to clen up so much spatter. if you can weld @ all, just go to a metal yard ad buy some srap of the same thickness to practice technique. turn your speed up and move with it untill it stabs back and then go back down. make sure the polarity is set for gasless, and you have a good ground, too. weld outside with good ventalation, and don't huff the fumes

Yes I am crazy, but not about this. I did not say it was too thin for Flux Core. I said it was too thin for "my" flux core. I have a harbor freight cheep one that only has high and low current. The low is still too much for thin metals. I usually don't use it on anything less than 1/8"