Compression.....how low is too low?

amstall

Here's the deal. I just picked up my first banshee last Wednesday. The guy I bought it from was a little sketchy so I don't know if everything he told me was 100% true or not.

Supposedly it's been bored .020 over with a WSM piston and HotRods crank with only 20 hrs on the rebuild, but it's only pushing 90psi on each cylinder when it should be around 135 from what I've read. I took it out on the dunes some this weekend and it kicks, starts, and runs fine. It just seems that I'm missing out on some power here.

Should I break it down and redo it?

def rebuild it. i wont let mine get below 125 120 before ill do mine. def sounds like your rings are worn if it takes that many kicks to start it especially after you said it starts fine all day after the initial start up. whats happening is your rings are warming up and seating better so it will start up after its warmed up.

All of this is good advice. Start with the basics. Look up a thread on CORRECTLY doing a presure check. Second make sure you have a good gauge. Dont use one from the auto parts store that costs 15 bucks. Get one from Sears, Matco etc.

If after you have done this and your presure is below 105-110, I would for sure do a top end on it. If everything is good on your bike it should start between 1-3 kicks.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys. I'll let it sit for now, just ride the YFZ. But after christmas it's going to get new pistons, rings, and a good honing. Probably throw a coolhead on it while I'm at it too. What size would you say 22cc, 20cc? My mods are on my quadhub...

do you say this from experience?

WSM make some damn good pistons, comparable to Pro-X

I would tend to agree. We have used plenty of WSM pistons. Many times we find that if pistons are installed incorrectly, with the wrong tolerance, or with bore problems, the piston is likely blamed. To this day, we have yet to have a failure from WSM pistons.

WSM, where is my check????

Regarding the compression issue, you might take a read of an article I did a while back regarding compression testing.

http://mullengineering.com/rt/support.htm

Brandon

Edited by blowit

Decided what I'm going to do with it. It's getting tore down, bored, wiseco pistons, +4 timing plate, and probably a 20cc coolhead. I've already got Fatty pipes and boyesen reeds. Are the stock carbs still gonna get it done or do I need to go bigger? What size?

Edited by amstall