Milky grey crank oil? what could this be?

92bansh

New to the Banshee.. I pulled the plug in the motor and the crank oil was a thick almost milky greyish color. What could be causing this?? Coolant leak??

you are getting coolant into your oil. you either have a bad gasket or worse a crack in one of the cycl

And so begins your list of future mods! nows a great time to upgrade to a billet waterpump impeller, and check the clutch out real good while you are in there. May as well polish the clutch cover while its off, oh shit, almost forgot about the modified shift star and a shift-pro kit!!! It never ends, but you are in the right place. We are "the island of misfits" LOL There are a few site sponsors here on this site that will be more than helpful in getting you back in the dirt.....

+4 oring, got hot, lost round shape, might as well do the seal while you're at it and check the impeller. you will notice some wear on it, if it aint too bad you can reuse, or just swap as well, might as well get racing one. Be carefull taking bearing out, tap it repeatedly, not SUPER HARD.

Edited by m4f1050

could be water, but water usually makes the oil look like a foamy mocha color and you will see condensation inside a lot of the time. If the oil is really grey colored it could be the clutch going south. How long have you run that particular oil. Here is the deal, to correct any of the afformentioned conditions you have to go through the same procedure of removing clutch cover, so you may as well replace it all while you are in there. my .02

could be water, but water usually makes the oil look like a foamy mocha color and you will see condensation inside a lot of the time. If the oil is really grey colored it could be the clutch going south. How long have you run that particular oil. Here is the deal, to correct any of the afformentioned conditions you have to go through the same procedure of removing clutch cover, so you may as well replace it all while you are in there. my .02

i have no idea how long the oil's been run. i actually havent even riden it yet. i just bought it from some idiot who didnt even know what he had. its in great structural shape and the motor ran pretty well. i only paid 500$ for it so i really dont care about dumpin some money into it. I knew it needed some work so i decided to strip it right down and go frame up that way i know whats done and that its done right.

cool, sounds like you got a good deal then. Last bike i picked up the oil was gray as hell and had some metallic flakes in it. clutch was toast. New clutch and all was good. Since you dont mind putting a little coin in it, i would do the following. New clutch, billet basket, modded shift star, billet water pump with new seal (inspect the bearing) , pancake bearing, and replace the o ring on the water tube. You more than likely wont have to go back in for a long time. Also inspect the condition of the clutch arm actuator and make sure its not worn too bad.