best way to launch

4strokekilla1987

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

fasterthanyou (aka 1700 Camaro) and I have been talking about this back and forth for a while.

The serious street guys use multistage type clutches that allow slippage out of the hole that lock up and apply pressure further down the track.

This technology is starting to cross over into the dirt/sand crowd.

There are several home grown type clutch systems guys use. I think you'll see some public production versions in the near future....as they work the bugs out.

I don't think you're quite at that stage in the game yet. But even on dirt...or most other forms of racing using a manual clutch and gears, it's hard to train yourself not to just dump it and run...gotta feather it out...for now.

Sounds like some good future technology. But for now, u could try what I do... Sit towards the front (not on the tank like some), lean forward. Dump, and i mean DUMP the clutch and gas it. After you feel you've got out the hole (1 r 2 seconds) scoot back and shift to 2nd and haul ass! :evil:

The only thing that may differ in how much gas you give it when dumping the clutch, as ive experienced, is your gearing and/or horsepower. With more horses and a higher gearing, you may only need to push 3/4 throttle, some may need to do it in 2nd at full throttle, Its simple tricks like that which seperates great drivers from good drivers...My .02

fasterthanyou (aka 1700 Camaro) and I have been talking about this back and forth for a while.

The serious street guys use multistage type clutches that allow slippage out of the hole that lock up and apply pressure further down the track.

This technology is starting to cross over into the dirt/sand crowd.

There are several home grown type clutch systems guys use. I think you'll see some public production versions in the near future....as they work the bugs out.

I don't think you're quite at that stage in the game yet. But even on dirt...or most other forms of racing using a manual clutch and gears, it's hard to train yourself not to just dump it and run...gotta feather it out...for now.

Hey it's slowerthanyou (aka 1700camaro) and yes dajogerjr I have been having some discussion on the subject.

You can do a pretty good job of initial clutch slippage and lock-up management with a standard lock-up system. There are better systems out there, but some killer fast times have been layed down with some basics.

Now for manually letting the clutch lever out slowly or in a controlled manner is nothing but correct practice. You also have to feed in the proper amount of throttle along with the clutch. Your 60' time will tell you if your doing it correctly.

have any of you guys used or know of anyone using the "2-step" feature on the Dynatech FS ignitions...I've used 2-step in cars and have seen good results, but any feedback on the option that the 2 step launch that the dynatech FS offers?? I'm sure this would really only apply to a serious drag(dirt/asphalt/sand) setup

have any of you guys used or know of anyone using the "2-step" feature on the Dynatech FS ignitions...I've used 2-step in cars and have seen good results, but any feedback on the option that the 2 step launch that the dynatech FS offers?? I'm sure this would really only apply to a serious drag(dirt/asphalt/sand) setup

It works...In general the engine doesnt like being on the two step too much. You also need to fab up a switch to activate it off of the clutch lever. I use a FBG prostock lever

Last night was my first to race on asphalt after a few bad starts there was a old man that came up to me and said if you will launch in 2nd gear it will be better the next run i ran a 9.041 so 2nd gear is my choice.Thats the only way i could beat my buddy.The first few passes he out ran me and i sure was taking alot of shit,but after i beat him he loaded his and went home.I love sore losers. :evil:

my favorite is to sit on the tank hold revs up and as soon as the light is green/hands drop/etc it goes WOT and i let out on the clutch slow enough not to bog it but fast enough not to really slip it if that makes sense. it gets slipped just enough to keep it in the powerband. it usually ends up with the tires a foot in the air but it works once you get the hang of it. we do all of our grudge races on concrete. i loves to eat me some 4 pokes.