1997 Banshee no spark

Hello all,

I am working on a 1997 Banshee that has no spark. I think I have it narrowed down to either the coil or the CDI. If I test the secondary resistance from the negative terminal on the coil to the plug wire(s) I show an open. I read somewhere that the secondary should be measured by connecting the VOM leads to each of the coil wires and not the negative terminal. Anyone have first hand experience with this?

Rob

Hello all,

I am working on a 1997 Banshee that has no spark. I think I have it narrowed down to either the coil or the CDI. If I test the secondary resistance from the negative terminal on the coil to the plug wire(s) I show an open. I read somewhere that the secondary should be measured by connecting the VOM leads to each of the coil wires and not the negative terminal. Anyone have first hand experience with this?

Rob

to measure the resistance of the secondary coil you need to measure between the 2 spark plug wire , there is a mistake in the shop manual. do you get a reading from wire to wire??

to measure the resistance of the secondary coil you need to measure between the 2 spark plug wire , there is a mistake in the shop manual. do you get a reading from wire to wire??

From plug wire to plug wire I get 5.89k. I have checked the resistances on the pick-up and all of that and they are within tolerance. When I kick it over I get just over 4v going to the coil. The charging coil is little out of spec, but that should not have any impact on the ignitiion...?

From plug wire to plug wire I get 5.89k. I have checked the resistances on the pick-up and all of that and they are within tolerance. When I kick it over I get just over 4v going to the coil. The charging coil is little out of spec, but that should not have any impact on the ignitiion...?

when you talk about the charging coil u mean the stator? if its way out of spec that is your problem, its hard to say the voltage goin to the coil since it will depend on the rpm of your motor, you better just test the resistance of all your component, see if your coil is well grounded to the tab where it mount, 5.89 foir the secondary seem right in spec just make sure with your manual, see if there is continuity between the ground and the negative side of your coil, you should not see any resistance maybe 0.02 or something like this. this mean your ground is good, might as well see the resistance of your spark plug cap and maybe cut like 1/2 an inch of the wire so the spark plug cap is really touching the metal wire inside. check your gap on your pickup coil it should be about a business card thick between the 2 notch and the pick up.

• 2 weeks later...
when you talk about the charging coil u mean the stator? if its way out of spec that is your problem, its hard to say the voltage goin to the coil since it will depend on the rpm of your motor, you better just test the resistance of all your component, see if your coil is well grounded to the tab where it mount, 5.89 foir the secondary seem right in spec just make sure with your manual, see if there is continuity between the ground and the negative side of your coil, you should not see any resistance maybe 0.02 or something like this. this mean your ground is good, might as well see the resistance of your spark plug cap and maybe cut like 1/2 an inch of the wire so the spark plug cap is really touching the metal wire inside. check your gap on your pickup coil it should be about a business card thick between the 2 notch and the pick up.

Okay, I have double checked all the grounds, pulled the flywheel and cleaned the poles, adjusted the pick-up coil gap. So now I am left with the CDI, but before I do that I want to make sure that the lighting system is seperate from the ignition system because someone has removed the voltage regulator (there is a long story behind this thing). There is power going to the coil, so I am assuming that regulator has nothing to do with the ignition.....?

First off, I apologize for kinda jacking your thread.

But I am having the same issue with my boy's predator 90. I don't know what the stator specs are supposed to be and I can't seem to find them on the net but I don't get the output from the CDI to the coil. My gut tells me that it is the CDI however, I am thinking that the stator could be the issue not delivering the ignition voltage to the CDI to be passed through to the primary of the coil. I do have the trigger from the pickup to the CDI just nothing out of the CDI.

Any ideas.

I believe that the regulator is only for the lighting system.

SP

Edited by spurdy

Okay, I have double checked all the grounds, pulled the flywheel and cleaned the poles, adjusted the pick-up coil gap. So now I am left with the CDI, but before I do that I want to make sure that the lighting system is seperate from the ignition system because someone has removed the voltage regulator (there is a long story behind this thing). There is power going to the coil, so I am assuming that regulator has nothing to do with the ignition.....?

Lighting system is separate from ignition system, there is different coil on your stator for your lighting system and for your ignition system, but there is a ground that goes bolt right under your voltage regulator it is one of the 2 ground of the bike so you might bolt it just for sure if its not , other than that if your lucky enough to try a cdi from a friend who got one that would save you money and time hehe :)

First off, I apologize for kinda jacking your thread.

But I am having the same issue with my boy's predator 90. I don't know what the stator specs are supposed to be and I can't seem to find them on the net but I don't get the output from the CDI to the coil. My gut tells me that it is the CDI however, I am thinking that the stator could be the issue not delivering the ignition voltage to the CDI to be passed through to the primary of the coil. I do have the trigger from the pickup to the CDI just nothing out of the CDI.

Any ideas.

I believe that the regulator is only for the lighting system.

SP

[/quote

You should try to see if there is resistance on your stator , if it shows open wire you'll know thats the problem , but if you got power going to the cdi and not coming out well its probably your cdi