Shipping Motor off

what carrier did u use muddtruck?? I took my motor to USPS and UPS today and neither would touch it, saying it exceeded thier 70lb limit and my motor happened to be 79lbs. Gave me some bullshit 1-800 number to the hub here in Memphis and im supposed to call them tomorrow and see if they ship in containers....WTF!!

what carrier did u use muddtruck?? I took my motor to USPS and UPS today and neither would touch it, saying it exceeded thier 70lb limit and my motor happened to be 79lbs. Gave me some bullshit 1-800 number to the hub here in Memphis and im supposed to call them tomorrow and see if they ship in containers....WTF!!

Damn! I used UPS to ship mine to Kevin. I used a heavy cardboard box with expanding foam squirted into the heat resistant bags. Mine wasn't that heavy and I shipped cases crank and cylinders. No head or fluids. Can you strip some parts off of it to get under 70lbs? Clutch cover, flywheel, kicker, shifter, head, maybe even the clutch pack?

How heavy is the cooler you are using? The nice thing about the expanding foam that I used is that it makes the box with the motor inside solid. The key to shipping heavy items is to make sure the item doesn't shift inside the container. I used some industrial stuff from work but I bet the expanding foam from Lowe's for fillng cracks would work also. You just need to put a plastic liner between it and your motor. You can squirt some in a box and put liner over it, When it is expanded but still soft, set your motor on it. Then another layer of plastic and squirt some more on the plastic until the box is almost full. Once it is expanded to fill the box close and seal the box. Works great and isn't very expensive. And don't tell the shipping people anything about fuel. They don't like that! Tell them it has been thoroughly cleaned and is dry.

Good luck.

SP

Yea jeff wanted the motor complete, minus spark plugs, kicker, carbs and shifter....The tote im using isnt very heavy at all i can lift it with one finger, id say maybe 2-3 lbs, its a blue plastic, like storage tote from walmart.....i put the motor in it and packed it full of bubble wrap....this is frustrating as hell, I gota big race labor day weekend and it doesnt look like im going to make it....it has been drained of all oil, coolant etc, I guess im going to call the HUB tomorrow and see what I can find out on it, thanks again guys for all the suggestions, I even told them several of you have used them and they still wouldnt ship it for me. :(

edit: when yall say you used UPS was it UPS Freight or just standard???? I just went to a local UPS drop/pickup place which happens to be a Office supply store we have here in town...

Edited by Ieat4strokes

edit: when yall say you used UPS was it UPS Freight or just standard???? I just went to a local UPS drop/pickup place which happens to be a Office supply store we have here in town...

I just went down to the local UPS office store. Don't remember the weight though. I know it was less then 72 lbs.

SP

I shipped a motor last month, just put down some 4 inch insulation foam from home depot, then put the motor on it. then made some rolls of bubble wrap for the sides, covered with another peice of foam, and some crumpled news paper to make it tight..... FedEx for $42

hmmm well, just to touch base, got my boss to ship it for me (he knew a ups guy) and cost me 80 insured......at least i got it done....rinky dink town i live in all we have is a ups pick up place and they didnt wanna fool with it I guess....

Sounds like they just didn't want to mess with it.I shipped mine several times in a wooden crate and it weighed almost 100 pounds exactly and never had any problems about the weight. Kinda sounds like the way they are here too,they are only open 2 hours a day and they still act like your wasting their time.