Boss racing clutch basket = fail

Whitbread

Two week ago at Wellsville, Ohio, I had my motor lock up on my climbing a moderately sized hill. I pulled it back to camp and started pulling it apart. Found that 2 ears were ripped off the basket and are what caused the bind against the bottom of the clutch cover. Three others are cracked more than halfway and ready to fly off also. The basket is also heavily grooved for only having 10 hours of hard riding on it.

I attempted to reach Boss about the matter since there was less than 30 hours on this basket (and most of which were putting around my 1.5 acre yard teaching my girlfriend to drive). After 2 or 3 left messages, they finally called me back and told them to send pictures because they didn't believe what I did was possible with just a ported and piped motor. So I sent pictures, heard nothing for a couple days, called back 2 or 3 more times and left messages since they have never answer thier phone, got a call back the next day with the excuse that they haven't had time to look at the pics yet, wait a few more days, call back and leave 2 more messages, and now haven't heard anything in a week. Every time I talked to them, I mentioned that I was going on a riding trip very soon and just needed to know if they going to replace it, give me a deal a new one from them, or not do anything at all. Was never answered, best I got a was a "We'll see what we can do".

I'm going on another riding trip this coming weekend so I had to order a new basket from another company. Definitly not cool when the pocketbook was not planning on it.

I'll post pics when I upload them later this evening.

Edited by Whitbread

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ouch! Thats a mess.

I got a PE basket. Cheap and strong.

I did the same....and ive put ALOT of hard hours on mine...but I basically just have minor mods tho...I also bought a clutch kit from rjatv.....awesome clutch!!!!!!!!! IMO....

DAMN. That's gay for sure!!! :down:

Im sure they will make it right.

Some nice grooves on the fingers too for a pretty new basket.

I run a Magnum billet basket and its been a good one and there very cheep to pick up new. Just got it last month.

Edited by savage420

Yeah, it's pretty gay all right. The grooves in the fingers are probably somewhere between .030" to .040" deep. Rather insane for ~15 hours of real riding if you ask me. They've had two weeks to make it right, and haven't made an effort. I don't expect them to do anything at this point. I own a small welding/fab shop and customer care is rule #1. If someone calls me up with a problem, you better believe that they are called back asap and the problem fixed.

I considered the magnum but after seeing how bad this aluminum basket grooved after very little riding, I figured I'd try something different than the norm. Since this was unplanned in the monthly budget, I prowled flea bay first and managed to score a Barnett billet basket for $148 shipped :biggrin: . I'll write of a review of it after a couple weeks of riding.

Edited by Whitbread

Two week ago at Wellsville, Ohio, I had my motor lock up on my climbing a moderately sized hill. I pulled it back to camp and started pulling it apart. Found that 2 ears were ripped off the basket and are what caused the bind against the bottom of the clutch cover. Three others are cracked more than halfway and ready to fly off also. The basket is also heavily grooved for only having 10 hours of hard riding on it.

I attempted to reach Boss about the matter since there was less than 30 hours on this basket (and most of which were putting around my 1.5 acre yard teaching my girlfriend to drive). After 2 or 3 left messages, they finally called me back and told them to send pictures because they didn't believe what I did was possible with just a ported and piped motor. So I sent pictures, heard nothing for a couple days, called back 2 or 3 more times and left messages since they have never answer thier phone, got a call back the next day with the excuse that they haven't had time to look at the pics yet, wait a few more days, call back and leave 2 more messages, and now haven't heard anything in a week. Every time I talked to them, I mentioned that I was going on a riding trip very soon and just needed to know if they going to replace it, give me a deal a new one from them, or not do anything at all. Was never answered, best I got a was a "We'll see what we can do".

I'm going on another riding trip this coming weekend so I had to order a new basket from another company. Definitly not cool when the pocketbook was not planning on it.

I'll post pics when I upload them later this evening.

I don't know if it will help, but PM dajogejr on here. I think he is a BOSS distributor and he might be able to sort something out for you. :thumbsup:

Without seeing the part in person, here is what I noticed:

*The anodizing (or maybe just dye) doesn't appear to be very thick. That is certainly not helping the surface hardness situation.

*The clean breaks on the basket look like they are fatigue based and originate from the sharp corners as the base of the basket fingers.

*Not that you'll ever find out, but I'd be curious what type of ally alloy that thing is made out of. It looks soft and gummy (from an engineering standpoint)... :geek:

have only seen stock baskets fail like that-very weird...that basket is grooved like it is 5 yrs. old....good luck

This is very interesting to me,I have the boss basket in my cub and havn't had any problems what so ever.I am wondering if it was just a fluke in the process that was not cought in inspection part of the process..
Hard to say. I hope for your sake though. Hell, the stock basket took 4 years of ice drag racing with the same port work and oof drag pipes when the previous owner had it. I only had to replace it becuase it was grooved so bad the clutch wouldn't release.

To my great surprise, Boss finally called me back today and offered to give me a decent deal on a new basket. When I told them I had already ordered a new once since they took so long getting back to me, they offered to give me a decent discount on any of their products. So I guess I'll be upgrading the radiator later this summer as it's the only thing they sell that's of use to me.