Boss racing clutch basket = fail

Whitbread

I'm disappointed yet surprised to see this.

I am a dealer, but to be honest...I haven't sold anything in a while, it's race season here and I'm busy.

His policy has been work with your dealer whom you bought it from.

The grooves on the basket are what get me the most. I have a 4 year old magnum basket that has been put through the ringer, and it doesn't look like that. That's a lot of wear for a nearly new basket.

I know he's been going through some tough times, this economy's been tough on a lot of folks.

But not returning your call in a timely manner....there's just no excuse for that.

Out of curiosity, who did you buy the basket from and did you try and resolve this with them? (Unless you got it direct from BOSS)

I'd like to see how your new basket holds up compared to this one. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with your motor at all, but that basket looks like it's been in there for years based on how it's worn!!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm disappointed yet surprised to see this.

I am a dealer, but to be honest...I haven't sold anything in a while, it's race season here and I'm busy.

His policy has been work with your dealer whom you bought it from.

The grooves on the basket are what get me the most. I have a 4 year old magnum basket that has been put through the ringer, and it doesn't look like that. That's a lot of wear for a nearly new basket.

I know he's been going through some tough times, this economy's been tough on a lot of folks.

But not returning your call in a timely manner....there's just no excuse for that.

Out of curiosity, who did you buy the basket from and did you try and resolve this with them? (Unless you got it direct from BOSS)

I'd like to see how your new basket holds up compared to this one. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with your motor at all, but that basket looks like it's been in there for years based on how it's worn!!

I was disappointed and surprised to see this myself as I had never heard of anything bad about their baskets before hand.

The grooves really get me too. It's not the "saw teeth" my stocker had, but for 15 hours of real riding, it's very perplexing :blink: . As Firehead said, it seems like either the alloy is too soft or the anodizing wasn't correct. What are other billet baskets? 7075, 6061?

The calling part is my biggest gripe. They've never once answered their phone when I called either. Maybe it's just me, but I find that a very odd for a decently sized business. In that rare occasion that I don't answer, I call customers back usually within 30 mins; a couple hours at absolute most.

I wish I could tell you what dealer the basket came from. My friend bought it for his banshee but he totaled the shee before he put it in. So I bought it off him still in the wrapper.

In theory, with the stainless plates on the fingers, the Barnett basket should last forever. As long as I don't rip any more fingers off anyway haha.

The basket technically was in there for about 1.5 years but it sat at my cabin for over a year since my house at that time didn't have a garage. When I finally did bring it from Gaylord down to Lima this spring, my girlfriend and I putted around on it in the yard a few times, and then the riding trip a couple weeks ago. So yeah, maybe 30-35 hours tops on that thing...

He is a one man sales team, marketing team and operations team.

Yes he has several machinists making the parts, working the machines.

But he is the one and only in the front office.

Not that it makes any difference, he should call back within a reasonable time frame, I agree.

But he's not a large, enterprise business like you think, that's all!

I was disappointed and surprised to see this myself as I had never heard of anything bad about their baskets before hand.

The grooves really get me too. It's not the "saw teeth" my stocker had, but for 15 hours of real riding, it's very perplexing :blink: . As Firehead said, it seems like either the alloy is too soft or the anodizing wasn't correct. What are other billet baskets? 7075, 6061?

Other baskets (popular brands that I am aware of) are made from 6000, 7000, or some British alloys.

Maybe using FZR600 frictions has something to do with it. How was your oil when you changed it? Dirty oil does damage. I read that Yamaha does not recomend using Kevlar plates with their anodized clutch parts.

Edited by SSSSSS!

Maybe using FZR600 frictions has something to do with it. How was your oil when you changed it? Dirty oil does damage. I read that Yamaha does not recomend using Kevlar plates with their anodized clutch parts.

I don't think the friction discs had much to do with anything in this case.

The kevlar issue you refer to has more to with what I suspect is a galvanic corrosion situation which involves a a chemical in the kevlar bonding agent damaging the type of anodizing the GYTR parts are using.

I run ATF for oil and it gets changed after every couple of rides. No negligence there. The oil wasn't even that dirty when I drained it out when this happened, just full of metal haha. The amount of AL shavings that were in the tranny when I split it was plain silly :blink: .

Here's a pic of the Barnett

barnettbasket.jpg

Upon initial inspection, it's definitely much heavier than the boss basket. Everything is thicker and all edges and corners are nicely radiused. Specifically where the fingers meet the basket. Barnett also states right on the package that it's made from 2024 aluminum. As soon as my clutch cover gasket and water pump drive gear get here, it'll be back on the trails.

Edited by Whitbread

I feel the same way.. Like the idea.. but them rivets scare me..
I totally agree also. That's why all the rivets were drilled out and replaced with countersunk head screws, self locking nuts, and red loctite. About 3 hours of work but should be better than the rivets. Edited by Whitbread