Boss racing clutch basket = fail

Whitbread

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The next time I have the clutch cover off I'll snap some. Was in a "get it done" mode at midnight on sunday to have it ready for my gaskets coming in this morning. Somewhere in the middle of the 6 pack the thought of taking photo's got sidetracked...

It's all back together and running around the yard now. So far so good. I'll pull the cover off and basket out for a good wear inspection when I get back from my 1 1/2 week riding trip/vacation. Should be a good 50+ hours of hard riding to see if it holds.

I thought all the billet baskets had you put countersunk bolts in? That's how all of 'em I've seen are done.

On the back side of the basket yes... but the barnett basket has stell plates riveted onto the "fingers" of the basket.

He's saying he drilled out the rivets on ea. finger and replaced them with taper head bolts.

I run ATF for oil and it gets changed after every couple of rides. No negligence there. The oil wasn't even that dirty when I drained it out when this happened, just full of metal haha. The amount of AL shavings that were in the tranny when I split it was plain silly :blink: .

Here's a pic of the Barnett

barnettbasket.jpg

Upon initial inspection, it's definitely much heavier than the boss basket. Everything is thicker and all edges and corners are nicely radiused. Specifically where the fingers meet the basket. Barnett also states right on the package that it's made from 2024 aluminum. As soon as my clutch cover gasket and water pump drive gear get here, it'll be back on the trails.

2024 is a great material to make a basket from if you are inserting the steel wear plates. Without out the plates a 6000 or 7000 series of ally is needed.

I like those Barnett baskets........ If my Hinson spring cushion baskets give up, I may have to try one. :geek:

• 4 weeks later...

I personally have seen many many Boss baskets, intakes, pancake brgs , etc. and IMO the quality is not there. Thats why i sell/use the Magnum baskets as they have been tested and withstood everything we can throw at em. Seen too many of their intakes leak as well. Sucks you had to spend time on the rivets on the Barnett basket replacing them as the Magnum would of been lighter, stronger, and less worries for about the same amount of $$. That is dedication though so props! Prolly a good thing you did that as i have seen 2 of them come through the shop too and both had loose rivets. :down:

I personally have seen many many Boss baskets, intakes, pancake brgs , etc. and IMO the quality is not there. Thats why i sell/use the Magnum baskets as they have been tested and withstood everything we can throw at em. Seen too many of their intakes leak as well. Sucks you had to spend time on the rivets on the Barnett basket replacing them as the Magnum would of been lighter, stronger, and less worries for about the same amount of $. That is dedication though so props! Prolly a good thing you did that as i have seen 2 of them come through the shop too and both had loose rivets. :down:

Funny you say their intakes have leaked Jeff, I must be the lucky one who doesn't have any problems with BOSS intakes. The intakes are the EXACT replicas of my old Trinity intakes, just in larger form for the carbs I run. Rest assured I didn't know all the problems with their products before I purchased them I have no complaints at this point. I wont be picking up any baskets or bowls ever again though, hope they step it up and keep the same price.

Yep, you can ask Dajogejr about them too as he tried everything under the sun to seal them up with no luck. :sad: As below in my sig says "You can go broke saving money" !!!!!!

I personally have seen many many Boss baskets, intakes, pancake brgs , etc. and IMO the quality is not there. Thats why i sell/use the Magnum baskets as they have been tested and withstood everything we can throw at em. Seen too many of their intakes leak as well. Sucks you had to spend time on the rivets on the Barnett basket replacing them as the Magnum would of been lighter, stronger, and less worries for about the same amount of $$. That is dedication though so props! Prolly a good thing you did that as i have seen 2 of them come through the shop too and both had loose rivets. :down:
I would've gone for a magnum basket but I wanted to give the barnett a shot after grooving two AL baskets. We'll see how it holds up. So far, so good. The mods to it didn't cost me any money either, I got all the screws free from my old shop. Weight isn't at the top of my list, this is a bike that gets taken on 6hr at a time trail rides. I want something beefy. As someone who does a lot of machining, the cnc work is top notch. Every edge and corner was nicely radiused.

The next time I have the cover off I'll take some pics of the screw mods I did. Right now, other things are under the knife...

I bought boss intakes before I heard they have been known to leak. :down: I'll keep an eye on them, hopefully I get lucky. Where do they leak from? Around the carb, at the seam where the two pieces of the intakes meet or at the reeds?

• 2 weeks later...

Just had the same problem with my setup. I called Jim at Passion about it and he called me back today. He's going to check into a warranty claim for me. I'll post pics later depending on how this all works out. It was pretty ugly though. Might even have to replace the crank bearings. That's gonna suck.

Edited by dave5.0

Just had the same problem with my setup. I called Jim at Passion about it and he called me back today. He's going to check into a warranty claim for me. I'll post pics later depending on how this all works out. It was pretty ugly though. Might even have to replace the crank bearings. That's gonna suck.
:down: Good luck on the warranty claim. Maybe you'll have better luck than I.

:down: Good luck on the warranty claim. Maybe you'll have better luck than I.

He said he's the midwest dist for them. Usually has good luck. Supposed to find out tomorrow. Did you get your new one installed? Ran it yet?