straight cut gears...... pros and cons if any

hellride96

just wondering if i was to change to straight cut gears if it was worth it and would i really be able to tell a diff.?? i dont know about yall, but for $375 and a couple of hours of my time, i want to feel what i did. what do you guys think that run them. my mods are in my sig. little over a hundred horses at the wheels

Edited by hellride96

just wondering if i was to change to straight cut gears if it was worth it and would i really be able to tell a diff.?? i dont know about yall, but for $375 and a couple of hours of my time, i want to feel what i did. what do you guys think that run them. my mods are in my sig. little over a hundred horses at the wheels

You dont really need unless its a fairly big motor putting out aroun 115 hp or more

You dont really need unless its a fairly big motor putting out aroun 115 hp or more

Yeah, I agree. I run them on a couple of mine but not necessary. ...and not sure if there is any gain at all....even on big motors.

They are more of a reliability thing on higher hp motors so you don't walk the crank sideways under a load. Or can be used to change your primary drive ratio. But, I have heard they do offer some slight gain. It makes sense when you consider it would rob a slight amount of power as the crank is pushed sideways by the stock gears. Haven't compared them on a dyno or at the track with that being the only change in setup so I couldn't give you an idea on how much of a difference.

They are more of a reliability thing on higher hp motors so you don't walk the crank sideways under a load. Or can be used to change your primary drive ratio.

Waste of money on a smaller motor and/or a dirt/sand ridden bike.

If you were trying to alter the ratio for a long run, say 1/8 or 1/4 mile I'd say do it.

You will not feel anything by bolting them on alone.

For that kind of money, get it ported...you'll feel that.

Waste of money on a smaller motor and/or a dirt/sand ridden bike.

If you were trying to alter the ratio for a long run, say 1/8 or 1/4 mile I'd say do it.

You will not feel anything by bolting them on alone.

For that kind of money, get it ported...you'll feel that.

sounds good guys, thanks for the info. dont think ill be running any. doesnt seem that it would be beneficial for me. thanks again guys.

Straight cut gears offer quiet a few advantages over a helical gear, but none of which are going to give you more horsepower. It will however eliminate the side load on your bearings. If you have a high horsepower motor that is eating transmissions, you can also get a taller primary ratio and it will help ease the strain on your trans

Edited by Koolguyson

I agree on higher HP motors or those that need to change ratio.

IMO, too many times people buy them because they "think" they need them, when in case they really don't.

I do like the Hinson baskets with straight cuts and spring loaded gears...I just can't justify that price either for my little motor.

I agree on higher HP motors or those that need to change ratio.

IMO, too many times people buy them because they "think" they need them, when in case they really don't.

I do like the Hinson baskets with straight cuts and spring loaded gears...I just can't justify that price either for my little motor.

I bought a set of 2:68's years ago. I run them on the cub.. couldent tell you if they help any or not though.

According to Hinson, the bushing on the spring-tension basket was getting an updated design. It has been a few months since I talked to the folks at Hinson, so has anyone had a chance to use or see the basket with the new design?

no idea, but hinson is entirely too proud of their products. there are tons of other options that are just as good out there for way less money.

There are tons of other options that are just as good out there for way less money.

For a standard basket, there are many other cheaper options that are equivalent in quality, but nobody else makes a basket that is equivalent to the spring-tension basket.

I went from stock basket with stock gears to the spring-tension basket, so it was only a $75 difference in price ($600 for the springer versus $525 for a Magnum and gear set).

Even though straight-cut gears are overkill for a 4mm cub, I am pleased with the Hinson unit and would buy it again it I had to do it over.

If I had only wanted a billet basket at the time, I would have purchased a Magnum basket ($150) over a standard Hinson basket (~$269).