rz motor

What is the difference from a rz350 to a yfz 350 motor??? can anyone help me

different gearing, different shift forks, has oil pump under water pump cover for oil injection, powervalve cylinders and head, different electical system to run powervalve controller

What is the difference from a rz350 to a yfz 350 motor??? can anyone help me

This question has already been answered a lot.

The main thing that the rz is known for is its powervalves, which create a low end for a banshee (which is pretty unheard of.)Servos are incorporated which helps the low end without taking from the top.

Everyone else would have told you to use the search button.

different gearing, different shift forks, has oil pump under water pump cover for oil injection, powervalve cylinders and head, different electical system to run powervalve controller

THE RZ 350 AND BANSHEE SHIFT FORKS ARE THE SAME DESIGN. I USE THEM IN MY ATV ASPHALT DRAGGER. WHEN I CAN FIND THEM. THE RZ 350 FORKS ARE LITTLE STRONGER THAN THE BANSHEE FORKS.

THE RZ 350 CYLINDERS AND HEAD DO ALOT MORE WATER. WATER JACKETS ARE BIGGER.

RZ 350 AND BANSHEE CASES ARE THE SAME. THE EARLY BANSHEE DID COME WITH THE HOLE IN THE TOP BACK CASE FOR A TACH.

THE RZ 350 AND BANSHEE SHIFT FORKS ARE THE SAME DESIGN. I USE THEM IN MY ATV ASPHALT DRAGGER. WHEN I CAN FIND THEM. THE RZ 350 FORKS ARE LITTLE STRONGER THAN THE BANSHEE FORKS.

THE RZ 350 CYLINDERS AND HEAD DO ALOT MORE WATER. WATER JACKETS ARE BIGGER.

RZ 350 AND BANSHEE CASES ARE THE SAME. THE EARLY BANSHEE DID COME WITH THE HOLE IN THE TOP BACK CASE FOR A TACH.

The shift fork are not the same: the banshee fork are guide pin a pin on the shift drum, the RZ fork are guide by a Roller to the shfit drum.

The shift drum differe a little bit: the side chamfer of the groove is larger on the RZ.

I just rebuilt a RZ350 tranny for my banshee, you only need to swap the tranny shaft and gear with those of your shee. In the way, I suggest to add the second bearing on the end of the shift drum (WCR made it for 30$), add a mod shift star and mod shift shaft (you can also add the easy shift with the bearing).

You can find three type of cylinder in north america:

48H: US cylinder 55hp

31K: canadian cylinder 83-85 59 hp

1UA: canadian cylinder 86-90 63 hp

For the rectifier, you can use one of a YFZ-450. It's newer and cheaper on ebay

For the servo, you can use one from a YZF-1000 or 600 on ebay (newer and cheaper)

For the CDI, power valve controller, you can use a Zeeltronic, is cheaper, newer and a way better. You can also program your own timing curve with the power-valve opening, you just need to rewire all for the CDI unit. I suggest to use their battery eliminator to not install a battery.

Last thing you need to built some spigot for the cylinder flange to your pipe (some pipe need a dent on the cable side).

I got all my part except the Zeeltronic CDI, I hope my bike will run for the end of the summer ...

Edited by Thewhite

I never said they weren't interchangeable i just said they are different. I have them in my bike now.

Last thing you need to built some spigot for the cylinder flange to your pipe (some pipe need a dent on the cable side).

Just to expand a little, you can get (or at least you used to be able to get) a blaster B1 flange from toomey. This will let you put banshee pipes on the RZ cylinders. For what its worth, Trinity stage4 pipes fit with the above mentioned flanges without denting and run quite well IMHO

Just to expand a little, you can get (or at least you used to be able to get) a blaster B1 flange from toomey. This will let you put banshee pipes on the RZ cylinders. For what its worth, Trinity stage4 pipes fit with the above mentioned flanges without denting and run quite well IMHO

I wondring what you do guys to hook the upper pipe spring to the cylinder. My original intent was to use two Toomey flanges made for the blaster, but I still don't know how I will hook the spring.

The original shee cylinder have a place to hook the spring, but the RZ have a flange design (instead of a spigot) with no place to hook the spring.

A simple little bracket could be made that bolts on to the exhaust flange mounting studs to hook your pipe springs to.

There also has been at least one person who has made a new PV actuator cover a bit thinner and had shimmed the pipe out a little bit so that they didn't have to massage the pipe with a hammer to clear.

Mike

A simple little bracket could be made that bolts on to the exhaust flange mounting studs to hook your pipe springs to.

There also has been at least one person who has made a new PV actuator cover a bit thinner and had shimmed the pipe out a little bit so that they didn't have to massage the pipe with a hammer to clear.

Mike

I know back a couple years ago the only pipes you could run with RZ cylinders were rockets or Paul Turners, and of course out of frames. Is this still true?

.... For what its worth... there's a neutral sensor on the rz cases that can light up a neutral indicator light.

And I didn't know that the different cylinder numbers gave different HP numbers. I assume its the port work that is different between the cylinder models ?? I always thought the HP difference between the years was because of different style exhaust systems that Yamaha used.

I have an RZ drum and forks in my Banshee motor, along with a modded shift star and an EZ pull clutch lever and it shifts like butter. RZ forks are saweeeeeet.

Yeah the Rockets, R2's, Pt's and stockers will clear. I think the pipes that I mentioned about being shimmed and a thinner pulley cover were T-5's.

As for the different casting numbers on the RZ cylinders I think the only ones here in the states were the 31K and the 48H maybe and I think they were 52 - 55 hp there abouts.

The 1UA's were the Canadian and maybe European, Aussie cylinders and were rated at 63 hp

I have a set of 48H's that Jim should be finishing up; 4 mil 12 port with some dune durations. I also have a very virgin set of 1UA's sitting here by the desk. I sold the 31K's that I had some time ago.

I did have a chance to look at the 1UA's next to the 31K's both with stock ports and the 1UA's were quite noticeably larger, you could see a substantial difference in the intake window opening, exhaust window had a taller opening, the boost port had a taller opening, and I think the transfer ports closest to the exhaust port had a taller opening.

I realize the port maps show that, but doesn't really do the justice of having both cylinders in hand.

Mike