Are You Kidding Me?

06, lets try to eliminate some possibilities, after kicking the shit out of it, are the plugs wet with fuel?? if not do this: take your plugs out, pour a little fuel in each cylinder, screw plugs back in and try to start it.. if it starts, you have a fuel problem, if not, its ignition related.. let us know

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yeah I put a (Ricky Stator) plate on. choke cross over tube? huh? everything i can see is connected correctly. I going riding really soon and hope i can figure this shit out.

choke crossover tube, connects the two carbs together.It will not run without it. I didnt see,stock carbs?

choke crossover tube, connects the two carbs together.It will not run without it. I didnt see,stock carbs?

It will be a small black tube that runs from the carb with the choke pull on it (left carb as sitting on the bike) to the right carb, without the choke pull. This has gotten the best of us time and again. I consider myself a pretty good wrencher when it comes to it, but all of us forget. After doing some carb adjustments after porting my cylinders recently, I kicked for probably 2-3 minutes off and on (bike never takes more than three) and it would barely start. You guessed... choke tube. Happens to all of us, repeatedly, you just get in a rush. Since you just adjusted the needles, there wouldn't really have been a reason to pull the carbs completely, but did you? Did you make main adjustments? Another overlooked item is making sure you got the float bowls back on the correct carb, if you had them off?

As with others, my guess is going to be choke tube, but if you didn't take the carbs off, which for just a needle change you didn't really have to, then we're back to square one. As savage said, nothing major here, something small and in the end retarded. As long as you didn't drop or hammer on anything right?

If you got spark but its not hitting you got spark at the wrong time giving thats all you changed. Pull the flywheel back off you most likely pushed the key out and indexed the flywheel incorrectly. You really have to be careful when your putting them on to make sure the key stays in the slot.

Im wondering if I should take my flywheel back off and make sure I didnt over look anything. Also this KEY thingy never dropped out when I pulled my flywheel. Is that right?

Maybe I should try and put my factory timing plate on. Would it make a differance having a stock stator, and a ricky stator timing plate. Do I need a ricky stator ...stator too??

Im 99.9% percent sure everything is hooked back up right on my carbs.

If you checked fire and you have a good spark but it wont fire its either not firing at the right time or its a fuel if you pulled the stock carbs off make sure that there is a small hose that connects the two carbs together. It will be a small hose that is a straight shot from one carb to the other.

Put it back to stock and see if that fixes it. Also, make sure the throttle cable isn't in a bind. If the slides hang up, it is difficult or impossible to start. Does is backfire or anything when trying to start it? In my experience it will usually backfire (but not start) if the timing is off. I had a flywheel go bad, and it wouldn't stay in time. I think the keyway was "wollered" (sp?) out.

Check to make sure the cross overtube is there. It's a tube that connects both carbs. If a tube is not connecting both carbs, then it isnt there. If it's not there it will take tons of kicks or even getting pull started to fire up and it wont idle.

Go to the auto parts store and buy a set of feeler gauges and set that gap correctly. It's like $5 for a set.

You need air, fuel and a spark. Someone isnt there. If you have no idea about the cross over tube. post a picture with your seat off looking down at the carbs and we can tell you. Id take a picture but i dont run stock carbs.

Edited by RagunCajun

you don't need the rickey stator brand stator. i was just asking if you had one, cause then i would put some money on it that its the shitty rickey stator. but since you don't have one, i'm guessing you don't have the cross over tube in. seeing as you don't seem to know what tube the guys are talking about (no offense), i would be willing to bet the farm that it is gone. i'm going to look for a pic to post and help ya out.

Yeah ive got stock carbs. Is this cross over tube a gas line piece or what? I only disconnected the fuel lines and the over flows from the bottom bowl. Then just unscrewed the tops off...

little tube that connects the carbs together.CHECK it out!