Porting at Home

I'm planning on hopefully making some pulls tomorrow with my stock cylinders, then I'm going to be pulling them off. But, before I pull them, I think I want to mark them out for a more aggressive port timing than the cylinders I'm finishing off (Going back over exhaust now, to polish up a bit more). I was thinking something like 194* ED with either 129* or 130* TD. This set of cylinders would be more for a set of CPI's and some bigger carbs, plus probably even smaller domes, maybe 16's?

It will be strictly a duner, with of course some recreational dragging. I'm really in to hill climbs and holeshots though, so I want to keep some good pull in the midrange too.

Any thoughts out there from people with experience, who care/willing to share?

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am definitely beginning to take it seriously. This is my first set of cylinders as far as porting them goes, but it's fun and kind of addicting in a strange way! On the #1 MC, what should I be lubricating it with?

I should be putting the final sanding in on my exhaust ports tonight and I'll post up some pics. Going to get a dyno run in next week hopefully with the stock cylinders, but I'm waiting on some base gaskets so I can swap these cylinders on and then make some sweeps with them.

We sell #10010 oil for the #1mc and I believe it is a 2oz bottle for 3.00. It is a nongumming oil and really the only oil we recommend for the #1mc, and in case ya didn't know we do repair the #1mc at the shop and we also sell all the replacement parts for the handpiece. We also resharpen your old carbide cutters for around a 1/3" to a half of the price to buy it new. Do ya got a new catalog? We just had to reprint. Good Luck and keep up the good work. This is a great way to build fans and maybe get them interested in porting. Why not work at home in your own shop with no boss sounds good to me!! :kiss:

Yes, i have bought them all at cc specialty. If you are the girl who answers the phone i have talked to you more than a few times. :biggrin: I cant remember the handpieces ive got exactly but the mc1 is one for sure. Also got the vise and other stuff as well, i plan on buying more stuff in the future when i graduate and get a job! lol

the porting looks pretty good. A few things i would try is get a smaller round tree or ball shape 6"x1/4" bit and make the "curve" of your transfers better. Where you can see that you havent cut yet needs to be. Make it all on the same level if at all possible. If it were a set of cylinders i was porting i would polish the exhaust more, its up to you and looks ok but id spend some more time on it. What grit did you finish with?

Yeah I am the youngest of the crew. Chris is the boss lady and Debi is my mother and she answers the phone most of the time in the mornings and I don't get out there til the afternoon. I'm Deidra so we may have talked a few times. I am more of the computer nerd for the crew. I usually stick to the paperwork and emails and searching for new merchandise. That's why I joined here so I can pick up on new stuff out there and see how the competition is going. How's the ball vise working for ya? Do ya have the one with the metal ball or plastic? I don't want to get started on the dumb a$$ idea of the plastic ball :down: but we have went back to the metal. :biggrin: Take Care! :cool:

2003LimitedBanshee, on your 1mc handpiece, can you grab onto the cutter that's in the spindle and jiggle it all over the place, like the bearings are out of it? you know, like it will have tons of runout and not want to hold a cutter rigid, while cutting. i just got my handpieces from cc specialties today, and am happy w/the 44t handpiece, as that spindle spins super smooth and seems tight/rigid, but i can't say the same for the 1mc unit. i'm going to call cc specialties now, and see what they say. maybe i got a bad one that made its way thru inspection?? it just seems like the bearings are bad, as you can see the bearing race, just jiggle all over the place.

Yeah I am the youngest of the crew. Chris is the boss lady and Debi is my mother and she answers the phone most of the time in the mornings and I don't get out there til the afternoon. I'm Deidra so we may have talked a few times. I am more of the computer nerd for the crew. I usually stick to the paperwork and emails and searching for new merchandise. That's why I joined here so I can pick up on new stuff out there and see how the competition is going. How's the ball vise working for ya? Do ya have the one with the metal ball or plastic? I don't want to get started on the dumb a$$ idea of the plastic ball :down: but we have went back to the metal. :biggrin: Take Care! :cool:

lol i see, well i have the one with the metal ball. I love it so far, works great.

2003LimitedBanshee, on your 1mc handpiece, can you grab onto the cutter that's in the spindle and jiggle it all over the place, like the bearings are out of it? you know, like it will have tons of runout and not want to hold a cutter rigid, while cutting. i just got my handpieces from cc specialties today, and am happy w/the 44t handpiece, as that spindle spins super smooth and seems tight/rigid, but i can't say the same for the 1mc unit. i'm going to call cc specialties now, and see what they say. maybe i got a bad one that made its way thru inspection?? it just seems like the bearings are bad, as you can see the bearing race, just jiggle all over the place.

No I don't. What collet did you order it with and what size carbide are you using? I think you could get 1/8" or 3/32" if I remember right? If you are looking close, is the collet itself that is moving in the head, or the carbide burr within the collet?

Also, the head of the 1MC can be completely disassembled and replaced. Is it completed seated? The wrenches you got with it will assemble/disassemble the head, so you should be able to check it out.

this 1mc unit is brand new. never used before. the cutter and collet are tightend w/the wrench and the back of the head is tight as well. i can clearly see the bearing race jiggling around, like the bore in the head is a little too big or something. i put an indicator on it and i come up w/.007" of play, back and forth.....yikes. so far, one of the worst ways i spent $340......LOL.

oh yeah, oil is even seeping past the race of the bearing, due to all the slop....yikes again.

Edited by mopar1rules

this 1mc unit is brand new. never used before. the cutter and collet are tightend w/the wrench and the back of the head is tight as well. i can clearly see the bearing race jiggling around, like the bore in the head is a little too big or something. i put an indicator on it and i come up w/.007" of play, back and forth.....yikes. so far, one of the worst ways i spent $340......LOL.

oh yeah, oil is even seeping past the race of the bearing, due to all the slop....yikes again.

I would just call CC, I'm sure they will make it right. The oil seeping past doesn't concern me as much though, because it is not a sealed bearing unit, so you will probably get minor seapage...

Like I said though, get ahold of them, I know they will make it right if something is goofed. Did you try the other day?

Send it back to us if it has that much play. Roddy builds those here at the shop and checks the timing and all before he sends it out but maybe one got overlooked. If you just bought the handpiece it will be warrantied and we usually have them repaired the same day they come to the shop from our customers. We ship out approx 1 to 2 #1mcs a week and once or twice a year have a problem with the handpiece from the shop. Which usually the problem is broken collets by customers who have never used the handpiece before and tighten it too tight and end up breaking it. They should only be tightened by hand. Send it back to us and we will take care of it and ship it back no cost to you. That is how we do all our customers with warantied products. We have never had someone complain about oil seeping so I can help you there but if anything call us and ask for Roddy and he can tell you what might be wrong and how to fix it yourself or send it back and let him do it for free. Thanks and sorry for the inconvience.

Send it back to us if it has that much play. Roddy builds those here at the shop and checks the timing and all before he sends it out but maybe one got overlooked. If you just bought the handpiece it will be warrantied and we usually have them repaired the same day they come to the shop from our customers. We ship out approx 1 to 2 #1mcs a week and once or twice a year have a problem with the handpiece from the shop. Which usually the problem is broken collets by customers who have never used the handpiece before and tighten it too tight and end up breaking it. They should only be tightened by hand. Send it back to us and we will take care of it and ship it back no cost to you. That is how we do all our customers with warantied products. We have never had someone complain about oil seeping so I can help you there but if anything call us and ask for Roddy and he can tell you what might be wrong and how to fix it yourself or send it back and let him do it for free. Thanks and sorry for the inconvience.

ccspecialtygirl, i shipped it back to you today. you must have been the one that i've been speaking to on the phone the last 2 days? did you ship out my new replacement one yet? i can't afford anymore downtime:) the 44 handpiece that i also bought from you, works fine.

ccspecialtygirl, i shipped it back to you today. you must have been the one that i've been speaking to on the phone the last 2 days? did you ship out my new replacement one yet? i can't afford anymore downtime:) the 44 handpiece that i also bought from you, works fine.

We did get it out and sorry about the handpiece. We will credit as soon as we get the other handpiece. We have had to start charging before replacing after a few customers were returning some expensive warrantied products and after we shipped replacements no charge they never sent the supposedly broken or faulty products back to us so Chris had to change the policy. You would have talked to Debi (my mom) she has been working there ever since they opened the doors in 1970 in Hereford Texas so she knows everything about the tools. Like I said Roddy is supposed to set the timing and he builds the handpieces his self so we hardly ever have a problem but when we do we fix it. If you have any more questions or problems please let me know. Thanks Deidra :thumbsup:

well, got my replacement #1mc handpiece today, and its just as bad as the 1st one. i don't know why the quality of these things is so shitty, but its really got my goat now. the #44 handpiece that i have rocks, as does my new 1/3hp foredom motor, but this #1mc unit, just pisses me off. the spindle bearings are still loose within the bores of the head and can't hold the cutter rigid, so it just keeps chattering all over, when trying to port/work over the transfers, or auxilary exhaust ports. since this is my 2nd one that's junk, i'm assuming all of them are junk and there is no sense on me getting a new replacement, as that one will be just as bad. looks like i'll be going back to my old bluepoint air grinder, or just pay someone else to do my port work.....LOL.

well, got my replacement #1mc handpiece today, and its just as bad as the 1st one. i don't know why the quality of these things is so shitty, but its really got my goat now. the #44 handpiece that i have rocks, as does my new 1/3hp foredom motor, but this #1mc unit, just pisses me off. the spindle bearings are still loose within the bores of the head and can't hold the cutter rigid, so it just keeps chattering all over, when trying to port/work over the transfers, or auxilary exhaust ports. since this is my 2nd one that's junk, i'm assuming all of them are junk and there is no sense on me getting a new replacement, as that one will be just as bad. looks like i'll be going back to my old bluepoint air grinder, or just pay someone else to do my port work.....LOL.

90 degree pieces is much more difficult to work and you have much less control over them, they do shatter much easier then a straight one... I just use the cornwell one, works like a bomb...

i believe that snope on here also uses the cornwell unit. there used to be a cornwell tools saleman that drove around my area, but he hasn't been around for years. i have no idea how i would get one and now that i think of it, my bluepoint grinder is the exact same.

2003LimitedBanshee, do you have to use left hand carbides w/this thing? i've been using right hand carbides with this thing and having the cutter end of the cutter, sticking out the side of the spindle w/the collet. now, i see in my cc specialties catalog, that they show a pic of #1mc handpiece, w/left hand cutters, but sticking out the spindle, that's opposite the collet. am i just using the tool wrong? i would think that it should still work properly w/right hand cutters??

Edited by mopar1rules