Porting at Home

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

not to shaby on the work man good job I wish I could point you in a good direction but I dont have much to go off of keep up the good work

Thanks! Yeah, they are still in the workup phase. The intakes haven't had any timing changes yet, so they haven't had the final smoothing put on them; still kind of in the rough in phase. I've just cleaned up the transfer runners at this point, no timing changes. My dumby rotating assembly should be here this week, so it will keep me from having to tear down my bike to use as a rotating assembly for degreeing. I think you will be very happy with them when all is said and done!

So the results are in, any guesses??? A couple things, NOSS head 20cc domes (read: too big) VF3's, stock carbs (no TORS), Toomey air filter w/Outerwear (embarassingly dirty), Timing set at +4*, T5's (repacked about 3 months ago), air temp 65*, elevation 1100', RAIN (approx 76% humidity at time of runs), Golden Spectro mixed at 48:1 with Trick 116, stock knobbies (approx 60% left) and my port work.

I'm not overwhelmed by my results and I can't remember what people say it should turn, so bring on the guesses. I'm not trying to say these numbers are going to blow anyone away, just posting for the learning benefit. I'm also not saying that a dyno is an absolute, but I can say that after my first experience with a dyno it would seem to be a GREAT tool!

Good guesses... Keep them coming, I'll drop the numbers here in a few. Are you guys hedging the numbers down figuring it's rook doing the port work? Or would these be numbers you'd be happy with? I'm expecting a good jump when I get the right domes in there and clean the filter like it should have been. Had to have my dog put down this AM literally just before I pulled the bike, so didn't have a lot of motivation to get everything prepped properly...

Peak HP without ANY jetting adjustments at all when it was on the dyno was 55.7HP. My initial pulls only made 50.6HP and 31.8 ft/lb of torque. BUT, the filter was disguisting dirty. I was getting really dejected, but the dyno owner/operator recommended we pull the outerwear and make one final pull. That's when it made the 55.7 HP. 5.1 HP loss from the freakin' outerwear!!!!! The filter was disguisting underneath the outerwear still. So, with swapping out the domes, cleaning the filter and fine tuning the jetting, I'm pretty confident I should push the 60HP envelope hard.

So, back to the drawing board for now. I don't feel ashamed of the numbers it put down, but I'm hungry for more! Next cylinders should make more and will have much more aggressive timings. Darthwall, after this run, I'm pretty confident we should be able to put together a hard running combo. Did you recognize some of the latest pics? :biggrin:

I did recognize those dirty jugs lol and the work looks good! no doubt about it and 55 isnt bad at all with stock carbs and the jetting not dialed in perfect. See now your getting the addiction to power and before you know it your going to start looking at cubs and saying hmm I wonder lol. I would say get some bigger carbs or borrow some for the next dyno trip and see what else she can do just to mess around abit

I did recognize those dirty jugs lol and the work looks good! no doubt about it and 55 isnt bad at all with stock carbs and the jetting not dialed in perfect. See now your getting the addiction to power and before you know it your going to start looking at cubs and saying hmm I wonder lol. I would say get some bigger carbs or borrow some for the next dyno trip and see what else she can do just to mess around abit

Yeah, I was really hoping break into the 60's, but maybe that is a little ambitious for a first time DIY port work? I don't really think I'll go down the cub road; I prefer the stock look. I'd love to keep tweaking, porting and tuning to try and get into the high 60's or even 70's with diff carbs, pipes etc. My CPI's just showed up from BoostedRex, man are those things FAT!!! I'm actually looking at picking up a set of OKO 30's just as a test of the bigger carbs.

I'm going to be working on your cylinders for quite a while tomorrow night. Should be able to finish up the intakes and the transfers. Still waiting on my cases so that I can set the port timings... Oh and I have to get some money out to mopar for a spare crank, I didn't forget mopar... :blush:

well I think you will beak 60 easy with the CPI's when I put them on my bike it was a night and day difference all together I have a set of LRD pipes that were on the quad when I bought it and what I have read they are comparable to the T5's I ran them for a while and it seemed to choke it down a bit and got some CPI's and it just woke up you will lose some bottom end but man you will love the top they make here is a pic of what I am putting on it right now well after I do a little mods to it img8825.jpg

Edited by Darthwall

• 2 months later...
well I think you will beak 60 easy with the CPI's when I put them on my bike it was a night and day difference all together I have a set of LRD pipes that were on the quad when I bought it and what I have read they are comparable to the T5's I ran them for a while and it seemed to choke it down a bit and got some CPI's and it just woke up you will lose some bottom end but man you will love the top they make here is a pic of what I am putting on it right now well after I do a little mods to it img8825.jpg

Hey how's the porting tools holding up? It's kinda fun once ya get started huh! Hope all works out well and if ya ever need some more stuff let me know. TTYL! Enjoy the tools. Bye from TN