Porting at Home

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use carbide anyways, on all my cylinders. The trex cylinders just seem tougher if that makes since. Or more dense maybe is the word im looking for, the aluminum just doesnt want to shave away like that of OEM cylinders. Ive never actaully weighed them but just my bare cylinders id bet to weigh close to 20lbs!

so how's the home port job coming along? you got it done yet? if so, how does it run?

I've got the first cylinder done (well still have to polish exhaust) and I'm going to start in on the second tonight. I was out of town at a car show Thursday-Sunday, so that slowed me down a bit. I'll be taking some more pics tonight and starting to cut the second cylinder. I went back and reworked the intake roof and smoothed it into the intake runner, so it is now one nice sweeping ramp. I think I may go back and open the aux transfer runners though. It was recommended to me that I move the back wall back a bit as the runner is considerably smaller than the port windows, so I may go back and do that. I'm waiting on some 1/4" burrs to get down in there deep. Believe it or not, I've actually done all the work up until now with 1/8" burrs... :confused:

I've been sucking some knowledge off some fellow HQ'ers and trying to expand my porting brain/knowledge/understanding. I'd love to see open discussions about porting theory, trials/testing of different configurations etc. on the HQ, but I don't know that that will happen. I'm getting a much better understanding of port timing and how altering it can influence the power potential and how you can influence how that power is developed, but I know I couldn't even begin to work on the finer details of port entry angles, roof angles and all of that quite yet. I understand how to measure those things now, but have zero experience with what effects those changes might have. Those of you willing to share knowledge, you know who you are, thanks! - Brian

be sure and let us know when your done, im excited for you. I remember about 4 years ago when i done mine.....boy did it run like ass!! lol, since then ive came a looong way, and so will you. It just takes time, time, time, patience and oh yeah money! :biggrin:

Lets see those pics.

be sure and let us know when your done, im excited for you. I remember about 4 years ago when i done mine.....boy did it run like ass!! lol, since then ive came a looong way, and so will you. It just takes time, time, time, patience and oh yeah money! :biggrin:

Lets see those pics.

Ran like a piece of hot ass or like the smelly stuff that comes out of ass? I'm wondering if you were hinting not to expect a whole lot out of the first set? Will post up pics soon. I spent last night out in the shop until about 2AM working on the second cylinder. I also found an old flap shank that I had completely forgotten I had, so I was able to put an initial sanding pass on the first exhaust port. I also went back and reshaped the first exhaust port to get a better time area out of a more efficient shape. On the second cylinder I got the intakes done and the intake runners on the inboard side of the cylinder. I'm going to start on the transfer port timing on the second cylinder today, as well as the exhaust. With any luck, I'll have it up an running this weekend, at least if just for a couple quick seat of the pants tests. Although, I still need to mic the cylinder to see if I can get away with a quick hone. If I need a bore then of course that is going to kind of mess up my timeline.

I'm getting really excited about it too! There is no doubt that it takes a lot of time and the money part is true too. As far as economics go, for a single set of cylinders your cost/benefit is definitely down the toilet as compared to sending the cylinders out. But, I can already tell that I'm addicted to grinding, so I'm sure I'll do the cylinders that I'm pulling off my bike, plus a buddy of mine will almost certainly ask me to grind on his too, at the least. But, I knew coming in that it was going to cost more money on this first set than sending them out, but the pride in doing them myself is what really meant something to me.

Pics soon...

Ran like a piece of hot ass or like the smelly stuff that comes out of ass? I'm wondering if you were hinting not to expect a whole lot out of the first set? Will post up pics soon. I spent last night out in the shop until about 2AM working on the second cylinder. I also found an old flap shank that I had completely forgotten I had, so I was able to put an initial sanding pass on the first exhaust port. I also went back and reshaped the first exhaust port to get a better time area out of a more efficient shape. On the second cylinder I got the intakes done and the intake runners on the inboard side of the cylinder. I'm going to start on the transfer port timing on the second cylinder today, as well as the exhaust. With any luck, I'll have it up an running this weekend, at least if just for a couple quick seat of the pants tests. Although, I still need to mic the cylinder to see if I can get away with a quick hone. If I need a bore then of course that is going to kind of mess up my timeline.

I'm getting really excited about it too! There is no doubt that it takes a lot of time and the money part is true too. As far as economics go, for a single set of cylinders your cost/benefit is definitely down the toilet as compared to sending the cylinders out. But, I can already tell that I'm addicted to grinding, so I'm sure I'll do the cylinders that I'm pulling off my bike, plus a buddy of mine will almost certainly ask me to grind on his too, at the least. But, I knew coming in that it was going to cost more money on this first set than sending them out, but the pride in doing them myself is what really meant something to me.

Pics soon...

well cool, sounds like everything is coming together nicely. What i meant about my statement was it ran like crap, and by no means did i intend for that sound like i was predicting what yours is gonna do. It will run great. the first set i did i had no idea what i was doing i just raised the exhaust port too much and it made no power. I was 18 years old and experimenting! heck im 22 now and im still experimenting. :biggrin: but with positive results now.

Well was getting a fair way through the second cylinder when my tools starting acting up. Couldn't figure out what exactly was going on; it would almost freewheel or something like that. Well, long story short, the drive end of the cable coming from the motor came loose from the "spring" drive cable. I managed to get the exhaust shaped up, the transfer runners opened up and started to raise the transfers before it was acting up more than I could stand. I got a new handpiece the other day, with a 1/4" collet that I chucked one of my long burrs up in this morning for working over the exhaust. The burr was a double cut and man did it go way faster than tring to work with an 1/8" spiral cut burr!!! Now I need to see if I can find a shop locally that stocks the cable. There is one place I know of that sells Foredom accessories here close by so I just hope they sell cables. I can't imagine they wouldn't? But, I really don't want to wait for a cable to show up 5-7 days from now so I can finish these off!

For you guys that do this professionally, semi-professionally or semi-seriously, what do you do about shaping your exhaust ports? Thinking along the lines of templates or no. NO, I don't mean like racelogic templates, but have you designed templates you can slip in? I'm just wondering because obviously I degreed in my port heights, but from there, good bad or indifferent I am shaping the port based on how it makes sense visually and what feels what when literally touching the contours of the port.

trex, it's taken me a bit longer to work up the nerve to port on my cylinders, so I'm behind on the learning curve. You've got a couple years jump on me and you've got a couple years yet (really only just a couple) to catch me. So, by the time you get to my age, you'll have a few more years yet and I'm sure it will show. I'm sure if I would have just started cutting I wouldn't be able to get these to run for crap either; but, luckily I got a decent set of specs and wisdom passed along to me from a reputable builder; still not sure why he gave them to me, even today?

so the double cut burrs, cut alot faster for you than the single cut burrs? i never tried the double cut. maybe i should?

Well it did seem to cut faster, but I was using 1/4" also, not 1/8". From everything I've heard they are good for rough in, but if you go slow and steady, I got really good, quick results that doesn't really need any cleaning up. All I can say in my case is that it worked GREAT for the exhaust!

Alright, got another cable for the Foredom this evening, so I was able to get back up and running. "Finished" off the cylinders tonight, but might re-touch my first exhaust before bolting up. Not to say I'm improving by leaps and bounds, but I can CERTAINLY see the difference in the two exhaust ports and ironically I spent far less time on the second.

My digital camera SD card is acting up, so hopefully will get some pics up tomorrow of both cylinders in their "completed" state. I really think the cylinders look pretty good, but being a perfectionist, I know I can do better, so it's half frustrating; but in a good way. I hope to get them bolted up this weekend and hopefully get the chance to test them out. I hope they seriously RIP!

When I get it torn down, is there a good, SAFE way to port the case without splitting them? Can I tape off, mask or whatever and keep stuff clean? Has it ever been decided what porting the case is worth? A couple HP?