Banshee reving too high!

hey i got an 01 banshee with fmf pipes, original carbs, 190 main jetting, K&N air filter, wiseco pistons. SO i went yesterday with it to ride after the snow melted. there was alot of mud and water but it wasnt deep at all. I rode it pretty slow for about 6km without changing the gears higher than the 3rd one. There was no water that got to the engine or anything like that. After i came home, i let it sit for a day and when i went to start it up, it started 1st kick, except that it was idling very high and it kept reving its self like u would let it run without the gas turned on, except it was. I reved it, but it still reved by its self. What can be wrong????

hey i got an 01 banshee with fmf pipes, original carbs, 190 main jetting, K&N air filter, wiseco pistons. SO i went yesterday with it to ride after the snow melted. there was alot of mud and water but it wasnt deep at all. I rode it pretty slow for about 6km without changing the gears higher than the 3rd one. There was no water that got to the engine or anything like that. After i came home, i let it sit for a day and when i went to start it up, it started 1st kick, except that it was idling very high and it kept reving its self like u would let it run without the gas turned on, except it was. I reved it, but it still reved by its self. What can be wrong????

190 main jet is way lean if you have pipes and K&N try a 290

You sure you don't have 290 mains in there? If you do have 190s then thats most of your problem. Multiple items to look at. Need to check & lubricate your throttle cable, make sure its not hanging up. Plus check to make sure you don't have an air leak around your carb boots. Make sure your carb caps are screwed down all the way and locking tabs tightened.

190s a no go. 290s, probably close.

check cable, as mentioned.

check fuel petcock, running out of fuel or slow fuel flow from the tank can cause that.

check for an air leak at the reeds or intake area.

You sure you don't have 290 mains in there? If you do have 190s then thats most of your problem. Multiple items to look at. Need to check & lubricate your throttle cable, make sure its not hanging up. Plus check to make sure you don't have an air leak around your carb boots. Make sure your carb caps are screwed down all the way and locking tabs tightened.

OK thanks its going to the mechanic to be rejetted and tuned up this week so now i know what jets to tell him to put it my banshee. DOnt worry he has 5 banshee's and he is a certified mechanic and fixes only banshee's besides his daily job

THE mechanic put 190 jets in it so that the banshee wont kill me as i havent ever riden one

thats retarded! thats just gonna fuck it up he shoulda just screwed in the screw on the throttle to slow it donw :blink: and you maybe have a airleak probably at the reeds or the intake boots might be ripped.

THE mechanic put 190 jets in it so that the banshee wont kill me as i havent ever riden one

I know I'm going to sound like a pompous ass, but...that's just me.

If the same mechanic put 190's in it that you're going to take it to for rejetting, find a new mechanic, seriously.

All he did was GREATLY increase the chance of you blowing up the motor, and then it'll be so slow any kid can jump on it while it's parked.

190s could be a stock jet. Stock from Yamaha was 200. If a local dealer rejetted for local weather, elevation, etc., it could very well be 190. If you lived or purchased the quad in say...Denver, it's a great possibility...

Shit I lived in Wyoming and we ran higher then 5280ft. when we hit the top of the rockies mnt. there is no way he can even be close to running that lean of a jet in the bike. the only way I could think is if he was running the 190 he must have the full lid set up on and then tape over the snorkel with a pen hole for air... but all in all we need to know if your running pod filters. with lid, without lid. etc

Edited by GrMeyer