99 Banshee Restoration Complete.. For now

SteelerBob

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

were did you get the coolant lines and how much?.... also dam that was a serious rebuild. i'm stunned at the trans formation

Thanks man, I am really pleased with the way it turned out. As to the hoses, I had read a post here on the HQ about a company that would give you a 5' sample. It was an older thread I had searched on but gave it a shot and they sent it right out. I was just honest with them and told them I liked doing resto work and had heard about thier product for this application and wanted to try it out but did not need 50' to start with. They were cool about it and cost me nothing.

www.newageindustries.com Product number 2900611-S

Dude i hate you. That black an yellow looks so badass. Thats a hell of a restoration.

I hope to have mine done before the middle of may.

Did you paint the plastics black or did you buy new ones?

I really wanted to buy new ones but this was a very unexpected purchase so they just were not in the budget. I cleaned up the old ones and started to sanding but they were in really bad shape with some scratches and gouges to deep to sand out. I bought a couple of cans of rustoleum bedliner spray, taped off the areas for the graphics and went to town.

Worked beautifully and gave it tough flat black look with a light texture that covered the scratches very well. The Rustoleum has a very light texture, unlike the Rhino Liner of PlatiKote. Then I put three coats of Fusion black over the tops of the fenders to give it a little shine and provide a good mounting surface for the graphics. Applied the graphics and then two coats of clear coat to seal them on.

It still looks mostly flat but when the sun hits the clear coat just right, it almost has a glitter effect to it. Cost about $50 in paint, liner and prep materials for the plastics, frame and wheels but very easy to touch up if needed and should get me through a year or two when I will pop for a new set and complete tear down for some powder coating.

Cheers

• 4 weeks later...

Wow that banshee is hot you did a great job!!!!

Im restoring a 1992 banshee its all done im

waiting on my cub cylinders from california

I hope my bike tures out that great :thumbsup:

Very nice rebuild, good job :beer:

Just curious, there's a pic in there......looks like you've got a couple bikes in a room in your house, is that right? :notworthy:

Well, sort of, kind of, but no, not really. When we bought the new house last year, I built a full insulated and finished wall with a door splitting the 2 car garage in half, front to back. Made an 11'x19.5' 4th bedroom out of the back half and 8.5' x 19.5' bike garage out of the front half. Still am able to completely open the garage door, just no auto opener. Enough room for my 05 R6, 98 Smokin Joe CBR 600, 2000 Sabre 1100 and the Shee and lawn mower with my work bench but it's FULL LOL.

Once the boys are a little older and moved out, I will take the wall down and have more room for more bikes!!!

man you did an awesome job. it is amazing what you can do with a lot of hard work and a little money. i like to see rebuilds like you did because i know it didnt cost you a ton and thats pretty much what i did when i got my purple and yellow 89 shee in my sig. you did amazing and its good to hear about the sentimental value (sorry about the loss obviously). are you gonna find some black or yellow nets for those nerfs?

• 1 month later...