front end noise

on my 97, there is kind of a popping sound coming from the front end, i just noticed it since i put newer stock a arms and tie rod joints on, my old ones were fucked. its kind of a clicking popping sound, if you hold one of the front wheels and turn the handlebars is when you can hear it. it doesnt feel loose at all, i have kind of tracked it down to be the coming from the steering stem, there are bearings inside on the top and bottom i think. is this something i need to fix asap, or can it wait? i would rather not have to do it until after this season. i dont care about the noise, i just dont want something to pop and then crash my shit. i have checked every bolt i changed, and they are all nice and tight, noise isnt coming from them.

Edited by official_style

Its probably your shocks, mine make a slight click or tink sound when I hop on it sometimes. Its been doing it for a couple of years now, but untill I can afford new front suspension I just try to ignore it. You don't hear it while you're riding do you? If you figure it out and its not the shocks, please let me know what you come up with. :thumbsup:

your not going to just replace the whole thing unless your going to buy a new frame lol.

:down:

official_style your right, it is not that hard. Top collar, nut and clevis on the bottom for the stem.

The bearing is held in with a retainer that has an inside hex. I used a large bolt that fit in there to remove it. You may need to get physical with it like I did, but was not that bad. Had to use torches on my retainer and cut the bearing out. My shit was abused when I got it.