Big bore (68mm) sleeves?

Well my banshee melted the sides and rings of the right hand piston and the bores are already .060 over. I was using Vito's Super Stock Pistons and Ive only got about 4 tanks through this thing since I rebuilt the top end. Needless to say the right hand cylinder has some substantial grooves between the exhaust port and one of the left transfer ports so Im going to need some new sleeves. I was wondering if anyone has used the big bore sleeves for the stock jugs and if there are any modifications required to use these? Also I will be using a Wiseco 4mm stroker/ 5mm long rod crank and they dont make 795 pistons this big so what kind of pistons would I have to use for the long rod? Blaster pistons? I have some pics of my pistons and jugs but I cant figure out how to insert pics in the post. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Also I need a good shop to press my sleeves in, port for my 4mm stroker, cut some domes, and bore/hone the cylinders. Who would you guys recommend? Preferably in the northern states because I live in Ontario and Im afraid the shipping for my jugs will kill me.

first off, what type of porting are you looking at getting?? if its a drag port, i would reccomend getting some cub cylinders, they would be ready out of the box, you can get them already setup for 4mm stroke.. for the cost of having stockers resleeved, ported and bored, it would be more cost effective to get a set of cubs if you are looking for a drag style port.. plus you will get more power.. if not a drag port, i would suggest just a set of stock bore cylinders ported for 4mm.. for the money its not worth getting a set of stockers resleeved.. just my .02

first off, what type of porting are you looking at getting?? if its a drag port, i would reccomend getting some cub cylinders, they would be ready out of the box, you can get them already setup for 4mm stroke.. for the cost of having stockers resleeved, ported and bored, it would be more cost effective to get a set of cubs if you are looking for a drag style port.. plus you will get more power.. if not a drag port, i would suggest just a set of stock bore cylinders ported for 4mm.. for the money its not worth getting a set of stockers resleeved.. just my .02

i agree.big bore sleeves are a waste of money and hurt the performance.it takes alot of your transfers away

i agree.big bore sleeves are a waste of money and hurt the performance.it takes alot of your transfers away

word!!! it sounds like a good idea, but it does choke down the transfers.. the motor wants to breath more with the bigger bore, and at the same time the transfers are smaller creating less flow than stock.. a good set of ported (stock sleeve) cylinders will give you a ton of power.. most importantly, get it tuned!!! you would be surprised..

If you have a pair of cylinders that are ported and your happy with how they run why not resleeve them. It will cost about the same to buy a new pair of cylinders and have them ported again. If they are not ported or you dont like them then I would just start over with a different pair.

Why not go big bore if your going to resleeve them. Yea you can gain cc's buy bolting on a 68mm cub but what if you dont want the Drag porting that comes with the added cc's of a Cub?

Here is a picture of my transfers. The cylinders have been resleeved with big bore sleeves. 66mm to 68mm. There is still aluminum left in the transfers. So how exactly do Big Bore sleeves choak the transfers?

LH11.jpg

I was wondering if anyone has used the big bore sleeves for the stock jugs and if there are any modifications required to use these? Also I will be using a Wiseco 4mm stroker/ 5mm long rod crank and they dont make 795 pistons this big so what kind of pistons would I have to use for the long rod? Blaster pistons? I have some pics of my pistons and jugs but I cant figure out how to insert pics in the post. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Yea you run blaster pistons with the 4mill long rod crank. You will need 4mill big bore blaster piston domes. Noss machine should be able to get you hooked up in the dome department.

josh

Here is a picture of my transfers. The cylinders have been resleeved with big bore sleeves. 66mm to 68mm. There is still aluminum left in the transfers. So how exactly do Big Bore sleeves choak the transfers?

LOL. Your on it J. We have made some damn good power with the 68-71mm sleeves in sleeper motors. I would say though that the transfer flow and volume is difficult to achieve and it takes substantial work in that area but the sleeves do not reduce what is already there.

Also agree that you have a few more options on port timing though the cubs can be modified for trail stuff to. We have a couple running MX with them. NOT fun to get worked out though.

Brandon

its all the money you want to spend as you can see sleeves and cubs are close together if it is a set of non ported cylinders I would go with cubs just for the price difference but for trail/MX and really want that power go with big bore stockers. its all trail riding or drag/dune?

90% of my riding is through trails, hilclimbs, and gravel pits. I looked at the cheetah cubs that come with pistons and ported to 4mm stroker but Ive read that they arent very good in the lower ranges like on trails and such. Right now im running 65.5mm bore (.060 over) on stock sleeves unported. I just figured I need new sleeves anyways if I keep these jugs so why not go bigger right? When I get a porting job I was thinking about getting it for the mid - high range because Im mostly keeping the rpm right in the banshee's powerband but I dont want to lose the little bottom end I have right now.

90% of my riding is through trails, hilclimbs, and gravel pits. I looked at the cheetah cubs that come with pistons and ported to 4mm stroker but Ive read that they arent very good in the lower ranges like on trails and such. Right now im running 65.5mm bore (.060 over) on stock sleeves unported. I just figured I need new sleeves anyways if I keep these jugs so why not go bigger right? When I get a porting job I was thinking about getting it for the mid - high range because Im mostly keeping the rpm right in the banshee's powerband but I dont want to lose the little bottom end I have right now.

You will benefit more from a 4mm stroker. Much improved bottom end. They run really good setup for trails on the stock cylinders.

brandon

Yea where your cylinders are not ported then it would just be better to start over with a different pair of cylinders. Look for some low bore cylinders. A port job makes a night and day difference. So does the 4 mill crank. If your even thinking about building a 4 mill you should go a head and do it. The port job for the 4 mill will be the same price. Once you port the cylinders for a stock stroke crank you usually cannot have them reported for a 4mill.

josh

. So how exactly do Big Bore sleeves choak the transfers?

Big bore sleeves have a larger OD.. Which = less transfer area. The sleeves I had were damn near right on top of the cylinder studs. Most of the cylinders I have see with bigbore sleeves usually have the transfers welded up. I've even seen some stock bore cylinders with the tranfers welded..

They might make good power for the trails and what not.. but.. for drag racing the stock bore cylinders are putting down better times around here.

Big bore sleeves have a larger OD.. Which = less transfer area. The sleeves I had were damn near right on top of the cylinder studs. Most of the cylinders I have see with bigbore sleeves usually have the transfers welded up. I've even seen some stock bore cylinders with the tranfers welded..

They might make good power for the trails and what not.. but.. for drag racing the stock bore cylinders are putting down better times around here.

Yea I guess there are mutliple types of sleeves out there. I can see those really big sleeves that look like they go half way through the cylinder head studs could do that. Like the big 72mm sleeves. Mine are just 66mm to 68mm.

RH07.jpg