what are the advantages of a milled head?

trent04shee

milling your head increases compression, which increases bottom end power. if your not wanting to spring for a cool head, then you might as well mill your stock one. but keep in mind, the more compression you have the higher octane fuel you will have to run after a certain point.

alright thanks guys, im going to buy a cool head but the funds are tight right now, so i figure ill just get the head milled until i have the coin to purchase a cool head. thanks again

no prob, thats what we're here for. :beer:

So if I took my head into a shop how would I know what size (not sure what the proper term is) to get it milled?

Is milling your head similar to resizing your domes in a cool head?

Edited by pinned247

So if I took my head into a shop how would I know what size (not sure what the proper term is) to get it milled?

Is milling your head similar to resizing your domes in a cool head?

No it is not the same. When you mill the head you change your squish clearance. The distance between the crown of the piston and the squish band of the dome. When you change domes in a cool head this distance is adjusted in the new dome. With the stock head you haven't changed the dome just the the volume by removing material from the original surface.

You can have the dome re-chambered but now your getting into more more and should just by a cool head at this point unless you want the stock head (sleeper) look.

I would measure the squish clearance before milling and take that into consideration for how much to mill off. I wouldn't run the squish any tighter the 0.40-0.45mm.

SP

Not all stock heads are the same. You need to measure the stock domes first. No point changing a 21cc stock head for 21cc coolhead domes. Rub some grease around the combustion chamber and place a piece of glass or clear perspex with a small hole through the center over the combustion chamber. The grease will seal the glass to the head. Use a pipette to fill the chamber up through the hole in the glass and the amount of water that it takes to fill the head will be the cc's of the combustion chamber. 1ml = 1cc

Dont quote me on my calculations, but 30 thou mill will be about 0.25cc

Not all stock heads are the same. You need to measure the stock domes first. No point changing a 21cc stock head for 21cc coolhead domes. Rub some grease around the combustion chamber and place a piece of glass or clear perspex with a small hole through the center over the combustion chamber. The grease will seal the glass to the head. Use a pipette to fill the chamber up through the hole in the glass and the amount of water that it takes to fill the head will be the cc's of the combustion chamber. 1ml = 1cc

Dont quote me on my calculations, but 30 thou mill will be about 0.25cc

My bad. 30 thou is 0.76mm. With a 65mm bore diameter 30 thou milled off = 2.5cc

Yeah, that looks much better :cool: Like has already been said... Good idea to check the "before" dome volume and an especially good idea to check the "after". Then all the geometry for squish velocities has to be addressed... IMHO, you probably want to send it to someone competent who knows about these things or just get aftermarket...

My bad. 30 thou is 0.76mm. With a 65mm bore diameter 30 thou milled off = 2.5cc

I personally wouldn't. Facing .030" without re-chambering will, in all probability, leave you w/a squish velocity that is through the roof and a compression ratio that, in all probability, is too high for pump gas. I have no idea what your starting with so I do not know what you should do, exactly.