1/4 mile asphault

drap660

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im running 17 tooth in the front 39 in the back I made the 1/4 but felt like the bike would have been quicker in 5th the hole way like nyuk said.I also have straight cuts with the taller ratio

IMO the gearing is not right for the 1/4 mile if you only using 5th thru the 1/4. Now for the 1/8 mile it's a little different.

My bike was lugging sixth and certanly not tuned at all,since then I have figured some stuff out and want to see the diffrence this year,They say I should be at a 2-1 ratio for the 1/4

We effectively used any where from a 2.05 - 2.24 ratio and have found one good all around ratio that works on different combos.

Slower Than You is right in the range of gearing ratios he's given you but you'll have to see what works for your setup and riding style. Whats "best" can change depending on many variables like tune for the day as effected by weather or track conditions etc. We have 2 - 1/4 mile bikes and have been long distance race partners with Bryan for some time. We run similar times but what works for one often doesn't work as well for the other. My 4mil pulls through the traps right at 119 with me (190 lbs) and my son who's 180 usually does around 122 with our stock strock Banshee.

What would that ratio be!!! lil hint

Nice try! Now based on your previous info in this post. I keyed on lugging in 6th gear and your 17/39 (2.29 ratio) sprockets. You would be going the wrong way with 2-1 ratio.

The key is to have your peak RPM higher at the end of the 1/4 than your peak HP RPM. How much over and how you determine that is up to you. Hint, your MPH will tell you if you are going in the right direction with your gear changes.

The lugging you describe could also be that your main jets or power jets are not correct.

Bryan

Thanks for the info ,Jeff from F.A.S.T saya I have tha motor now its up to set-up and how far I want to guy,Jeff sent me a pic of Teddars bike when I was building mine for tips and whatnot,I forgot to mention I have 19" tall american racers.Its hard to find people who actually run the 1/4 and want to help.My problem is going to the track and feeling rushed between cars and bikes they hate us on the track and I never get good tuning passes and resort to tuning on the street.Sucks over here

Thanks for the info ,Jeff from F.A.S.T saya I have tha motor now its up to set-up and how far I want to guy,Jeff sent me a pic of Teddars bike when I was building mine for tips and whatnot,I forgot to mention I have 19" tall american racers.Its hard to find people who actually run the 1/4 and want to help.My problem is going to the track and feeling rushed between cars and bikes they hate us on the track and I never get good tuning passes and resort to tuning on the street.Sucks over here

Shoot me a pm of exactly were your located from us in extreme Northeast Ohio. Maybe we can get you down our way sometime this summer for a full weekend of racing. Guarantee a good time.

Well alittle tunning here and there, and we got some better numbers in. Check out the vid. Remember this is on stock carbs and 175lb compression. Bike has airbox with lid and all, Its a trail bike. No overide, no lockout, no straps, stock tires, full weight. And as you can see it really doesnt run out of gear like some said. It still picks up another 6mph on full top end after the 1/4.. This pass is in the 1/4

Edited by drap660

• 2 weeks later...
Well alittle tunning here and there, and we got some better numbers in. Check out the vid. Remember this is on stock carbs and 175lb compression. Bike has airbox with lid and all, Its a trail bike. No overide, no lockout, no straps, stock tires, full weight. And as you can see it really doesnt run out of gear like some said. It still picks up another 6mph on full top end after the 1/4.. This pass is in the 1/4

looking good.that's the numbers you wanna see with your set up(on the street). :thumbsup: you could might be able to get a little more with some carbs..did you stick with your gearing 16/38??