Is my coolant circulating?

blaster2006

heya, just put on my new clutch kit, we obviously had to take off that fat hose that fits on to the clutch cover, and coolant was pouring out,it then stopped after like 3 sec then my mechanic did something with his mouth i have no clueif he sucked or blowed but he put his mouth on the hose.. and loads more coolant started falling out from the fat hose like no tommorow.

we then put back everything, put back the water hose etc, and then i went and bought some coolant, opened the radiator cap, and filled it till it was almost full. i let it idle for about uhm.. 1 min or so, then checked the cap, and the coolant did not go down at all, it stayed the same. also the coolant overflow bottle at the back stayed the same and did not go down at all.

then i rode it about what.. 4-5 mins max just slowly testing the new clutch, i come back and put my hand on the clyinder.. and its pretty hot.. ( i sometimes imagine things and panic easily) but i think it was too hot for the little 5 mins i rode it for.

is there anything i could have done wrong? is it normal for the coolant to stay in the radiator high and it not sucking any?, also because i did not have to add much before it got full again, and if i had to guess it lost more coolant than i added.

there is no thermostat so it usually will not go down like a car after first fire up. Pull the cap, fire the bike and look to see if the coolant is moving around. You didnt have to force the clutch cover back on did you? If you did, you may have broken the nylon drive gear on the impelar.

there is no thermostat so it usually will not go down like a car after first fire up. Pull the cap, fire the bike and look to see if the coolant is moving around. You didnt have to force the clutch cover back on did you? If you did, you may have broken the nylon drive gear on the impelar.

we had a slight problem with putting it back on, but it took like 5 sec only, at first he could not put it on easily, he told me to put it on 2nd gear and move it back and forth slightly, then he said "Stopt" then he told me to move it again then it fit right through

we had a slight problem with putting it back on, but it took like 5 sec only, at first he could not put it on easily, he told me to put it on 2nd gear and move it back and forth slightly, then he said "Stopt" then he told me to move it again then it fit right through

Sounds like you probably did ok then. As long as it wasn't forced on.

Sounds like you probably did ok then. As long as it wasn't forced on.

ok i fired it up and took the cap off ( on cold engine), and the coolant was moving littttle.. not like oh its moving and circulatiing you can easily tell, no, it wasnt like that. if you looked closely it was moving very very slowly... if something.. just little motionbut nothing like it sucked the coolant or you see it obviously flowing.

there is no theremostat ... once u top it its full no air pockets...... put a bucket under ur impeller plate then remove it and let the coolent overflow into the bucket then kick it over n see if the impeller is turning.... if it is put it back to gether and top off the coolent.... and ride it will b fine and u will kno u if its overheating bc it should drip on ur pipes and make a bunch of smoke :ermm: