Anybody have any experience with motherboards?

fastbanshee8

i work on conputer boards just about everday.. make sure you have a ground strap on your hand before you take the new board out of its "static free bag".. these boards are very sensitive when it comes to static electricity. and use the dielectric grease "or paste as mentioned" .. take your time and all will be fine.. hope this helps..

Yes. I didn't have much choice. Every other place that I found one, they were used, and had no guarantee at all. I'd rather pay more, and be safe, than get it cheaper, and get something that's broke. Besides, Dell's are very MB specific, and I didn't care to also take the chance of getting the wrong one.

Edited by fastbanshee8

its used between the cpu a mother board. where it has contact.

link.

not tryin to be a jerk...but that is wrong info....

thermal paste goes between the top of the processor,and the cpu fan heatsink....

its what keeps the heatsink and the cpu core from having metal to metal contact.

you would apply a very thin layer directly to the core of the processor and then install the heatsink/fan.

if your board is comming with a new processor and fan and is assembled to the board when you get it you will not need any thermal paste.

having capacitor issues as you explaind happen...

ive seen motherboards last 6 months ive seen them last 6 years.

its just like anything else electronic it can fail at anytime for no reason

alot of it could be too,is that dell is well known for not using the best of components in there machines.

Dan

Edited by BansheeDan

not tryin to be a jerk...but that is wrong info....

thermal paste goes between the top of the processor,and the cpu fan heatsink....

its what keeps the heatsink and the cpu core from having metal to metal contact.

you would apply a very thin layer directly to the core of the processor and then install the heatsink/fan.

if your board is comming with a new processor and fan and is assembled to the board when you get it you will not need any thermal paste.

having capacitor issues as you explaind happen...

ive seen motherboards last 6 months ive seen them last 6 years.

its just like anything else electronic it can fail at anytime for no reason

alot of it could be too,is that dell is well known for not using the best of components in there machines.

Dan

what dan said is right. it came out the wrong way. i posted that link to show and didnt realize what i said.

I guess I really can't complain, because the original MB lasted almost 6 years. Shit happens, when you're born naked, or at least that's what I've always been told.

the CPU has a number of pins in a pattern thus giving it a name (socket) if you have the owners manual or do your homework you can find out what the socket it called. some names are (socket AM2) (socket A) (socket 754) once you can find what socket you have you can match it with a mother board that excepts it. maybe one that holds more ram, different ram, dual video cards, on board video / audio and so on. i have a few links below that i use when i need parts. i look for the best deal. maybe them links will help when you need it.

Tiger direct.

Computer geeks

New egg.

as long as its not a amd with a 939 socket then im sure its a good processor. mine in my 2 year old gateway fried when trying to install a video card in the pci express slot. i did some research and found out that the 939 socket processor is about worthless. updated my case ram and cpu along with mb and i love it with my video card now. good luck to ya man!