Alcohol Pros-Cons

yamahaD4L

Wanting to try alcohol this year. Wondering what the pros and cons are to using alky. Have T-5s, .060, dune port (Venom), 4mill long rod stroker, adjustable timing plate, milled head, and bored stock carbs. Have dumps to put on my carbs but not sure if thats goin to be good enough. I know i need bigger carbs even if i wasnt going to run alky but on a budget. Is this setup possible for some extra ponys? Any info would be great.

You can run alky with that set up but however like you said if you already need bigger carbs now just get bigger alky carbs and call it a day.33 pwks with a set of powerjets with a pump or oversized bowls should do you just fine depending on the porting (every builder has a different "dune port") ask the builer who ported your cylinders what carbs will be suitable.Or if you have the cash to spare get a set of lectrons with gas and alky needles.Also what kind of riding do you do?If you ride trails and such then alky is not gonna be a wise choice as that shit burns quick and is pricey where i live.You're gonna want at least 160 psi to run alky so if you don't already know i would suggest compression check.And a little FYI, cold weather and alky doesn't mix well,if i had another set of gas carbs i would have them on my bike to run in the winter.You can expect a 10-15 percent in HP gain over gas.

Thanks for the reply. I only dune ride. Like to drag but also just dune. Found some threads earlier too on alky. Looking like Im goin to go with some 33s and stick with gas. Still want to try with the stockers only to prove my buddy wrong and that it can be done with what i got. Just not wanting to rebuild this year. Chances are high being my first expierence with alky.

Off subject a little but whats the diff with the PWKs and the PJs?

If you are in to straight duning, you are probably going to want to stay away from alcohol. You burn roughly double the amount of alcohol that you would gas. With a stock tank you are looking at about a 12-15 mile range on meth in the sand. I used to get about 30 miles out of a tank on my gas bike. With my cub im guessing its about 20-22 miles on race gas. I took my vapor off when i put the cub in so im not sure anymore. Needless to say unless you buy a 5 gallon ims tank and put a six pack rack on to hold another 2 gallons, meth will suck for duning