Build the Ultmiate Banshee Tranny

My stroker/duner has never put power to the ground like it should. Jeffs clutch, basket and pancake bearing fixed it. Holy god my bike ran like it never had before, for about 3 hours of riding. Now I can not get neutral, and cant get out of 3rd or 4th. I tore it down on the trailer and found that I could not spin the tires and roll the shift drum. I haven not torn it down yet but I am guessing a shift fork or the like. So if I was going to spend a little of money on my trans where should I spend it? I do not think I want an override because my wife rides it occasionally.

So I was thinking the shift star, Jeffs shift shaft spring mod, maybe the Alba shift drum and bearing. But what else? Are there better shift forks? I search and dont find much but how do I get this trans to hold up better? Another ruined weekend and a 450 will replace the damn thing in my garage.

Thanks for any advice

BTW I would guesstimate this bike turns 75 horse...

Edited by 01CandyBlue

duneable override and lockout for sure.

i would stay away from anything alba makes.

call FAST, he will set you up..

I hoped you would chime in I know you have alot of experience with the override. Everything I search about the override makes it sound like it is for more motor than my bike has. Also I was concerned about the no downshifting stuff. I dont hillshoot at all only dune ride.

I hoped you would chime in I know you have alot of experience with the override. Everything I search about the override makes it sound like it is for more motor than my bike has. Also I was concerned about the no downshifting stuff. I dont hillshoot at all only dune ride.

i will never own another banshee without a duneable override. i can upshift and downshift mine with no clutch. ive never had an issue with mine. they seem to be pretty reliable these days. i would go for it. you wont regret it thats for sure.

they are for all types of motors, but really shine in drag motors.

def go ahead and do the lockup and youll have a complete package.

I don't have experience with any type of override,so i'm not sure what they are like.But in mine,i have a cut Rz drum and forks with a modded shift star,plus the trannny gears have been cut too.You can shift it fast or slow and its really smooth,doesn't have that notchy feel to it at all when shifting.If you have ever ridden a 250r,its like that,probably even better.The problem is finding the Rz stuff in good shape and getting it for a good price.

I have a question too while we're on this subject.When you get a duneable done,do they just need the drum or the gears and everything too?I have my stock drug still and if thats all i need,i might have to try one out in the future.

i will never own another banshee without a duneable override. i can upshift and downshift mine with no clutch. ive never had an issue with mine. they seem to be pretty reliable these days. i would go for it. you wont regret it thats for sure.

they are for all types of motors, but really shine in drag motors.

def go ahead and do the lockup and youll have a complete package.

You down shift with no clutch also?

I don't have experience with any type of override,so i'm not sure what they are like.But in mine,i have a cut Rz drum and forks with a modded shift star,plus the trannny gears have been cut too.You can shift it fast or slow and its really smooth,doesn't have that notchy feel to it at all when shifting.If you have ever ridden a 250r,its like that,probably even better.The problem is finding the Rz stuff in good shape and getting it for a good price.

I have a question too while we're on this subject.When you get a duneable done,do they just need the drum or the gears and everything too?I have my stock drug still and if thats all i need,i might have to try one out in the future.

So who did the machine work on the rz stuff just so I can explore it as an option

mother effin right i do.. you scared to try it??

I mean i don't know i guess it's a insurance thing i mean if your just slowing down might as well pull the clutch in so your not putting so much on the override. But i guess if you've tortured yours that much and it's still kicking than i wouldn't worry about it...lol

Dan at Patriot Racing was who did the work.But he had a machine shop do the gears.

I had this done in 2005,and i have pretty close to the same amount into what you would pay for the override now.$100 for the Rz stuff,$175 for the other tranny mods,plus whatever Boonman charged to mod the shift star at the time. So $300 give or take was what i had into it all.

Unless you are totally against getting a duneable,it would be easier and probably cheaper when it all comes down to it.If i would have known more about them then,thats probably what what i would have gotten.But i feel for me,what i had done was the better way to go.

1-5 Override is sorta like a automatic tranny, you don't have to pull the clutch in when shifting at high rpms etc. just pop the clutch up but going from 5 to 6 you need to pull the clutch in hence the name 1-5 override. There are 2-5 overrides as well and i think a 1-6 still in the development stage or testing stage. Most people get em' after installing a lockup since the lockup makes it harder pulling the clutch in to shift.

Just an FYI, The RZ drum is the same as the banshee. the only difference is the shift forks. The "lug" that rides in the drum is on a bearing on the RZ stuff. I have RZ forks on my CUB bike along with a modded star and shift pro. It is all getting replaced with a duneable override. I didn't back cut my gears, but I am going to do that when i remove my trans and put this trans and Rz forks in my dunerbike. I think when the HP really starts to get up there, the override is the way to go to make them shift nice.