B-S or not

Local builder said that if I port cylinders now that I will not have to port again for 4mill...... I told him I read here otherwise that the port timing durations etc will be off. He said it was so minimal that u wouldnt notice if it was.....He also said pistons (795's) compensate for that???? Is he full of sh!t or what??? :ermm:

the exhaust durations will be close, but the transfers will be off a ways. The 795's don't compensate for anything besides a longer connecting rod. The port floors will need to be lowered for the new stroke to match the piston crown at BDC. I think he's trying to get a sell now instead of later or doesn't know what he's talking about.

the exhaust durations will be close, but the transfers will be off a ways. The 795's don't compensate for anything besides a longer connecting rod. The port floors will need to be lowered for the new stroke to match the piston crown at BDC. I think he's trying to get a sell now instead of later or doesn't know what he's talking about.

Yea i thought the same too, waaaaaay to many peeps on here saying that a 4 mill port is different than a standard stroke port for it not to be true. Well it just sold me on sending my jugs out to Jeff @ FAST or Jim @ Passion.......when i get all the pieces of the puzzle for my 4mill build.

Thanks

The gentleman just answered your question correctly... In adddition, from reading past posts, he obviously knows what he is doing... At least include him in the post as a possible... Jeeez! :biggrin:

Well it just sold me on sending my jugs out to Jeff @ FAST or Jim @ Passion.......

The gentleman just answered your question correctly... In adddition, from reading past posts, he obviously knows what he is doing... At least include him in the post as a possible... Jeeez! :biggrin:

I meant not to include or disclude anyone, im a newbie here and obviously dont know everyone by name.... I dont even know who the "gentleman" is. Just thought he was a helpful member. My apologies sir.... Just that Jeff and Jim and herr jugs are a constant ring i hear in my ears.....

doesn't know what he's talking about.

I believe this to be the case...... He barely let me get the sentence out before telling me no you dont have to. He has been porting banshee's for about 10yrs now and says he hardly sees them anymore, works on 4 strokes mainly now. Good stand up guy and reasonable prices but if he cant get me what I want and is not keeping up with up to date changes its best i look elsewhere. I have a friend with a "mild" port job from this same guy and i swear mine feels faster ive rode both. His has a real lag at the bottom end and mines way more snappy. So whom would u suggest I look into to do my work for me when I get some cylinders?

I believe this to be the case...... He barely let me get the sentence out before telling me no you dont have to. He has been porting banshee's for about 10yrs now and says he hardly sees them anymore, works on 4 strokes mainly now. Good stand up guy and reasonable prices but if he cant get me what I want and is not keeping up with up to date changes its best i look elsewhere. I have a friend with a "mild" port job from this same guy and i swear mine feels faster ive rode both. His has a real lag at the bottom end and mines way more snappy. So whom would u suggest I look into to do my work for me when I get some cylinders?

That bottom end lag on your friends bike is probably a jetting issue.

If it was me Id send them to brandon (Slobanshee06) the guy that first answered your post. He's a great guy to deal with and the work he's done for me is top notch, He will answer anything you ask and help you in anyway even long after he's done your work... Jeff @ FAST is another great guy but he has a long turn around time due to alot of customers, and Passion I have heard both good and bad about so I cant really say anything there

appreciate the advice, will def keep that in mind, ima newbie here so i havent been formally brainwashed into using ONLY a certain builder. lol

You may or may not do it all through one builder... I used 2 plus myself doing most of it. Some guys like to just give there motor to someone and say build it.

Everyone has there personal tastes in builders if I were you Id call Brandon at Wildcard Racing, Jeff at FAST, Keving at Herr Jugs Racing, and Jim at Passion and see who makes you the most comfortable, find the guy that just tries to help you and not sell you what he wants to instead of what you want. Like I said I cant say anything about Jim, or Kevin because I havn't talked to them personally, but heard great stuff about Kevin and half/half about Jim. Jeff great things and he's a good guy to deal with, Brandon... Same thing great work great to work with, but find who you like

Local builder said that if I port cylinders now that I will not have to port again for 4mill...... I told him I read here otherwise that the port timing durations etc will be off. He said it was so minimal that u wouldnt notice if it was.....He also said pistons (795's) compensate for that???? Is he full of sh!t or what??? :ermm:

Not real sure what builder you talked to but I would be very concerned if someone advertises the same porting for a stock stroke and +4mm stroke. TOTALLY different! As mentioned , port timing and window verticals must be adjusted for the 4mm. Some guys get pretty used to doing one type of build and I am just guessing the guy you talked to has not done much in the way of stroker motors. Not saying he can't do decent porting but when you start changing things up like stroke, rod length, etc, you really need to apply the math to have a clue as to what is going on. Anything else is just a guess.

may need to find someone that better knows stroker porting.

Brandon

It's all good... That's why :biggrin: My name is nobody around here too LOL! However, I do know more than enough about tuning 2-stroke engines to know when someone is blowing smoke up my ass in a post. Personally, I would consider using two of the three names you just mentioned in addition to the "Gentleman".

Call around, there are a lot of good builders out there. Just be carefull! If something doesn't sound right ask some more questions here. Prime example of something not sounding right would be the subject at hand. "so minimal you wouldn't notice it"??? Personally I think 2mm each direction would be noticable :down:

I meant not to include or disclude anyone, im a newbie here and obviously dont know everyone by name.... I dont even know who the "gentleman" is. Just thought he was a helpful member. My apologies sir.... Just that Jeff and Jim and herr jugs are a constant ring i hear in my ears.....

I believe this to be the case...... He barely let me get the sentence out before telling me no you dont have to. He has been porting banshee's for about 10yrs now and says he hardly sees them anymore, works on 4 strokes mainly now.

Same problem I run into.

I lost my keys, and went down there to see if he knew how to hotwire it (before I could hop on here.) He told me just to disconnect the key switch. I didn't believe him, but I tried it anyways. I walked back inside and said "Didn't work." He then tried to tell me that he had to tear my bike down, and replace all the electrical connections...or it's a stator problem, or it's not getting spark...and basically it was going to cost me a bunch to fix...but of course "I'd have to look it up in the Banshee book, because I haven't worked on one of these in years."

Then I said "Listen, it ran fine yesterday. The only difference between today and yesterday is I lost my key. It's not getting spark because the damn key isn't in it. Find me a yamaha OEM key switch, and let me plug that in, or find me a scotch lock. It's only two wires, so the key obviously just breaks the circuit."

Voila, it worked.

Point: Don't listen to your local builder without asking someone else first, especially if it makes no sense!!!!!!!!!!

Good job on asking on here before you did it...