Banshee will not start Unless I......

rajaa11

Hello all, I hope some one can help me out, I really tried searching but couldn't fine any thing that relayed to my setup. I just put stock RZ350 28mm carbs on and I finally got the bike running great but I have one problem. After I let the bike sit for a day or so It will not start unless I take off both K&N filters (Pods) and put my hand or rag over the intake of one carb. once I do this it start in 2 or 3 kicks. I have tried pulling the choke 1/2 out to full out, with and with out the filters on and YES the choke tube is connected to both carbs and not broken. Once I get it started its fine the hold day I ride. Here's what I have done, I have tried 300 mains needle clip on 3rd slot from top (Needle has six slots) same thing will not start the next day, I did a plug chop and found out I was running too lean, so I moved the needle clip down one slot (fourth from the top) and put 350 mains in. did another plug chop and bike was perfect but still the same problem, it will not start the next day. Now each time I did this was with a 1 1/2 turns on the air/fuel screw. Only thing I can think of is the pilot jet which I never changed. I did take out to look at the size, which is a 32.5. I didn't think there was a problem cause the bike ran great at idle and 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 throttle. Sorry to make this so long but I wanted to give all the details. Here's my spec:

Trinity stage IV head w/ 20cc domes

bored .40 over

MX port done by TDR

Toomey T5 pipes and silencer

Mix 40:1

V force II reeds

Boost bottle (I know, I know, I know.......)

I'm in Florida so I thing 40' above sea level according to the airport I work at

+4 Timing

K&N Pods (no air box)

air/fuel screw is 1 1/2 turn out, I have tried 2, 2 1/2, 3, 3 1/2, 4 turns out and still nothing

Mikuni 28mm round stock RZ350 carbs w/ 350 mains, 32.5 pilot, 4th slot from top on needle (6 slots total)

Edited by rajaa11

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you running race gas?

I think you may be rich on your pilot, Try a 30.

I had a similiar setup and ran a 32.5 and it ran perfect.

But every bike is different.

No i'm running 93 pump gas....... The funny thing is once it's running it runs great.......seems like too much air maybe..... I cleaned out the carbs and the choke plunger.....

Edited by rajaa11

You should probably switch to 21cc domes, or run race gas...

man fuck that race gas, The bike started fine with my 2 to 1 setup, it's just these 28's that's killing me but boy when i do get the bike start........I have to hang on. Hows you bike running?

man fuck that race gas, The bike started fine with my 2 to 1 setup, it's just these 28's that's killing me but boy when i do get the bike start........I have to hang on. Hows you bike running?

Yeah, that's why I'm not touching race gas. It's to expensive for me, I ride to much. But that high of a compression on that low of an octane could be asking for trouble... I'd just be a bit weary, and go down to 21ccs, it's not that expensive of a fix at all.

My bike is done...I parked it until I get a rebuild in...and I think I'm just going to build it into a powerhouse. It's piston slapping, and I don't want it to blow up on me. That'd cost me even more to fix...

Long rod + stroker + porting + carbs + rebuild + blah blah blah other shit, so I'm going to be down a lot longer than I expected. But when it's back...it's going to dominate, and be all fresh.

I should probably write a will before I finish building it.

Well the rule of thumb is usually anything over 155-160psi you have to run race gas.

You are REAL close and might be asking for trouble running 93.

I think a smaller pilot will solve your problem though.

Thanks man I didn't know that....... The bike seems to run fine on 93 but what would happen if I don't run race gas?

Yeah, that's why I'm not touching race gas. It's to expensive for me, I ride to much. But that high of a compression on that low of an octane could be asking for trouble... I'd just be a bit weary, and go down to 21ccs, it's not that expensive of a fix at all.

My bike is done...I parked it until I get a rebuild in...and I think I'm just going to build it into a powerhouse. It's piston slapping, and I don't want it to blow up on me. That'd cost me even more to fix...

Long rod + stroker + porting + carbs + rebuild + blah blah blah other shit, so I'm going to be down a lot longer than I expected. But when it's back...it's going to dominate, and be all fresh.

I should probably write a will before I finish building it.

Sorry to hear your down, well we will get together once your back up and running, you can put me in your will I will take really good care of your bike for Ya :wink:

Your carbs are probably dirty. Clean and BLOW every passageway out. To include the choke circuit. Then make sure the slides are installed properly (taper towards the inlet) and that the air hole under the needle mount plate is unblocked. I promise you its dirt or something not set properly. I chased the exact same problem for a month, blowing the carbs out for a second time did it.

Sorry to hear your down, well we will get together once your back up and running, you can put me in your will I will take really good care of your bike for Ya :wink:

Eh, no big deal. How long are you and fastrthnu going to be down? I could even sneak in a stock pistons rebuild for now, get it running how it was, and do my other stuff later. I'm going to have to start allocating more money for my upped plans now anyways, so it could be a while. If you guys are going to be heading out regularly, sometime soon, I'll try and sneak a quick rebuild in before I send her out. I could even wait even longer and do a Cheetah kit too. :biggrin:

I'd be at least 2-3 weeks out anyways though, even on a stock pistons rebuild. I've had a shoulder injury for going on almost 3 weeks now too, so if I end up needing torn ligament surgery or something, it would be a no go... Could just be a torn muscle or something, in which case it should clear up sooner.

Lmk how long you guys will both be down for though. If we can all get back riding together, then I'll push as hard as I can to get it at least running within spec, and I can save money for now and do my big plans later (getting all that done is probably a 4-5 months out). I haven't talked to Fastrthnu for a while, so I don't know where he stands with his bike.

Dude, them pilots are to big. try the 27.5 2 turns out on the air screws. I think mine where still 25, but you should be good with 27.5.Sounds like you have a leak somewhere or a clog. them 350 mains make that bitch scream huh :cool:

I shouldnt be down much longer. A few more weeks Ill be done. Im going to mail my jugies to passion for bore/hone/chamfer, and pistons. I seen on their website its all under $300 and he did the porting on em anyways. Imma do a polish on em too and maybe trade in my rockets for some pt high revs