Left Cylinder dead from idle to 1/4 throttle Please help!

Bansheexpx

:confused: First off, I have searched and searched and now I'm in need of some fresh ideas. I have a banshee that is all stock except fmf sst pipes, Lectron 2 into 1 carb, and advanced timing 4 degrees. The problem is from idle to about 1/4 throttle i have a dead left cylinder with intermittent pops. I try to ride and have no bottem end what so ever. I have changed my plugs, new plug wires, new plug caps, its 2 into 1 so no synching, and i have checked my reeds to see if they are broken, but they both seem fine and still have tension. I need some new ideas as i would love to ride with my wife since i just bought her, her first quad. Please please help me, Im at a loss now :(

Thanks in advance for this great forum and all your ideas - Jon

:confused: I need some new ideas as i would love to ride with my wife since i just bought her,

:yelrotflmao: hahaha, good stuff. i bought mine eight years ago, and still payin'

ok, seriously, check your pickup gaps on both sides. mine is stock, but the gap is off by a little from one side to the other, and it was almist twice what it should be, but i couldn't tell it riddin, just want ed to check it. and more importantly, check your compression, and for air leaks.

Check your carbs to see if they are in sync.. check the cables to see if they are not hung up somewhere... make sure on th caps, the cable is all the way down.. If they are not put together right, one will pull before the other until the slack is out..

check the reeds.. might have a broken one.. check the spark plugs by removing them but keeping them hooked up. have your friend give it a couple of kicks while you watch.. ( for kicks, have your friend hold one while you kick) (Important.. not your wife!!) Id go for the cables first..

let us know..

Try switching the plug wires from your coil to the plugs,just trade them and see if the right side starts having the same problem...Then you can eliminate a bad coil.If that isnt it then do a compression test and tell us the results..Good luck and welcome to the HQ..

Check your carbs to see if they are in sync.. check the cables to see if they are not hung up somewhere... make sure on th caps, the cable is all the way down.. If they are not put together right, one will pull before the other until the slack is out..

check the reeds.. might have a broken one.. check the spark plugs by removing them but keeping them hooked up. have your friend give it a couple of kicks while you watch.. ( for kicks, have your friend hold one while you kick) (Important.. not your wife!!) Id go for the cables first..

let us know..

I guess I will let you know now that it isnt the carb sync since he said he has a 2:1. :biggrin:

Ok...if my pickup gaps are not correct wouldnt it have the problem on both sides? I will be checking compression in the next couple days. I have checked for air leaks by sprayin all around my intake, etc. I have spark on both plugs and have tried switching my plug wires back and forth, still left side has the prob. I have also bought new caps to see if that was it, and no its not. So I will be checking my compression soon. Thanks for your great ideas, keep them coming and in the meantime, ill check my compression. PS...as far as the carb goes, it is freakin incredible! So easy to adjust once you figure out how to(we have all been trained with the conventional carb style so it takes a bit) I have a feeling I will like it even more once my left cylinder works.. lol

Thanks so much again guys, this is really helping as I am tired of banging my head :banghead:

Ok...if my pickup gaps are not correct wouldnt it have the problem on both sides? I will be checking compression in the next couple days. I have checked for air leaks by sprayin all around my intake, etc. I have spark on both plugs and have tried switching my plug wires back and forth, still left side has the prob. I have also bought new caps to see if that was it, and no its not. So I will be checking my compression soon. Thanks for your great ideas, keep them coming and in the meantime, ill check my compression. PS...as far as the carb goes, it is freakin incredible! So easy to adjust once you figure out how to(we have all been trained with the conventional carb style so it takes a bit) I have a feeling I will like it even more once my left cylinder works.. lol

Thanks so much again guys, this is really helping as I am tired of banging my head :banghead:

I've got a similar problem, my compression was 150 on the left cylinder and..... 48 ont the right one. So I have to make a top end job, the upper ring of the piston was broken and so, broke the piston as well. Everything else was ok

welll first, you need that comp check, but about that pickup gap, when i feel my exhaust, it seems like it's firing every stroke on the left, and missing every few cycles on the right. i tried syncing every thing over and over, but i know the gap is off just a little from one side to the other, and runs pretty good otherwise. before i adjusted it, it would start on basically one cylinder when cold. i have heard of this before, especially with ricky stator flywheels. what happens is, the plugs fire both cylinders on top and bottom, and if one isn't picking up right, that cylinder will only fire on the bottom most of the time at lower rpm's, but will start firing at higher rpm's. it's not the most likely cause, but at least by checking, you know the status of your pickups, and be able to see if there's junk in there. but like i said, get your compression. should be within 5 psi of eachother

i have the same exact problem as bansheexpx. at idle it only fires on the right side every once in a while. comp test is good. flywheel is rusty (probably the problem), 2-1 carb, and new dyna cdi.

its always been that way and i really never thought too much of it before until my last rebuild.

welll first, you need that comp check, but about that pickup gap, when i feel my exhaust, it seems like it's firing every stroke on the left, and missing every few cycles on the right. i tried syncing every thing over and over, but i know the gap is off just a little from one side to the other, and runs pretty good otherwise. before i adjusted it, it would start on basically one cylinder when cold. i have heard of this before, especially with ricky stator flywheels. what happens is, the plugs fire both cylinders on top and bottom, and if one isn't picking up right, that cylinder will only fire on the bottom most of the time at lower rpm's, but will start firing at higher rpm's. it's not the most likely cause, but at least by checking, you know the status of your pickups, and be able to see if there's junk in there. but like i said, get your compression. should be within 5 psi of eachother

Some pretty good info there.. I have seen some funky crap go down when it comes to outta whack pick-up setting, bent, flywheels, startors ect.. I seen a bent fly wheel do virtualy the same thing.. Run like dog at idle but clean up for the most part when revved up..

RIPPEN

So i worked on it today, and tried to see if i had good spark..well i was being stupid so the answer is YES..and oh did it shock me. Next i couldnt get my hands on a compression tester yet, but i did happen to put my hand over my exhaust while it was at a high idle...and withing maybe 5 seconds my left hand was covered in oil...and my right hand nothing. Does that mean my crank seal is bad??? Thanks for the continued ideas..still trying to get my hands on a compression tester