Sand Tires

wacko2000

Well I cant say if I usually dune or drag bc this is my first trip to the sand dunes.

What i really want is a good all around set up.

Something good for both. Im sure me and the boys will be fucking around racing each-other, but for the most part we will be just whipping around..

If I buy a set of Sand stars, why should I get a 10" rim?

thanks

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another one down for straight padel haulers.. I don't have a TON of experience with v paddles so I cant say a whole lot there but I can say the starights dune just fine.. When we do our Idaho trip I cant think of anyone that runs a v paddle in the group and the group is about 30-40 guys most of which are all F.A.S.T. Nutswingers-lol.. I have never had a problem getting where I need to go with straights and I usualy always seem to have plenty of traction(except for this last season Iam needing 9s I think).. Overall though man I bet you will do just fine with either on this one trip or whatever.. In alot of cases its trial and error anyway finding the "PERFECT" paddle selection.. Like I said, biggest thing Iam try to say is starights work just fine for duning..

RIPPEN

I wouldnt go with 20s, I would go with 21s. I would find a set of 21-12-8 8 paddle superlite haulers. I wont buy paddles that are not superlites, that is the easiest HP you can get. Dont worry about people telling you that rocks, ruts, sticks and shit will hurt superlites, I take them in the stupidest crap in the world at walden and never have flats... Stock gearing will work too.

Well I cant say if I usually dune or drag bc this is my first trip to the sand dunes.

What i really want is a good all around set up.

Something good for both. I'm sure me and the boys will be fucking around racing each-other, but for the most part we will be just whipping around..

If I buy a set of Sand stars, why should I get a 10" rim?

thanks

I'm not a quad guru so my opinions are based on my own experience...hence my own point of view.

That being said, I think that 9" is the stocker size rim while the aftermarket uses (mostly) 8" or 10".

The smaller the rim, the more air volume is in the tire at a given PSI. When I air down my Haulers (21x12x8" 8 paddle) and try to dune with them, the low pressure/sponginess allows a lot of deflection and they basically hook

up while I'm trying to slide. Then they uncoil (think dragster tire) and slingshot me out of the corner, or mid corner, or every 20'. Not exactly what you want to do in a 300 ' bowl.

The profile of the Hauler on a 8" rim is like a donut , so it's designed to dig in.

The larger rim gives a more consistent ride quality and you will find that most 10" V paddle tires are shaped with a flatter profile...like a barrel...so you can slide easier to the side because they float on top of the sand. Don't look at the paddles, look at the tire carcass.

Duning is all about power sliding!! I can do a hairpin powerslide U turn in second gear...all pitched out. You can't do that on a hauler because they have better traction...IMHO too much traction for a primarily duning tire.

I see it like this: A typical day for me at Glamis is a morning Duner ride before breakfast. Maybe 3 more 1+ hour rides throughout the day. Night ride to Old"s (the hill everyone races at) and burn a tank there. Maybe a night duner ride late night if it's warm out... I can go through 10 gallons a day sometimes!!

So for me, if I'm duning for 4 + hours and doing like 10 races, the tire I want is the best tire for the majority of the riding I do. 4 hours VS. 5 minutes. That's like a 48 to 1 ratio!! Gee, what to do?? :blink:

My primary tire is a V paddle...Sand Tires Unlimited Sand Skate II's are my favorite so far.

For that 1 second you gain off the line because you have a set of drag tires (Haulers on 8" rims) you have to live with the comparatively unfriendly sliding characteristics of it for the remainder of your riding.

If I recall, you don't have a drag Banshee so I"m gonna go out on a limb here and say that you would probably have a vastly greater experience on a set of V's.

Other members are right...you can dune on a set of Haulers. I just don't like it near as much. Not after experiencing my SKII's.

I've never tried a set of the 10" rim Haulers...maybe they're a lot different than my 8" ones.

Just my $0.02.

I'm not a quad guru so my opinions are based on my own experience...hence my own point of view.

That being said, I think that 9" is the stocker size rim while the aftermarket uses (mostly) 8" or 10".

The smaller the rim, the more air volume is in the tire at a given PSI. When I air down my Haulers (21x12x8" 8 paddle) and try to dune with them, the low pressure/sponginess allows a lot of deflection and they basically hook

up while I'm trying to slide. Then they uncoil (think dragster tire) and slingshot me out of the corner, or mid corner, or every 20'. Not exactly what you want to do in a 300 ' bowl.

The profile of the Hauler on a 8" rim is like a donut , so it's designed to dig in.

The larger rim gives a more consistent ride quality and you will find that most 10" V paddle tires are shaped with a flatter profile...like a barrel...so you can slide easier to the side because they float on top of the sand. Don't look at the paddles, look at the tire carcass.

Duning is all about power sliding!! I can do a hairpin powerslide U turn in second gear...all pitched out. You can't do that on a hauler because they have better traction...IMHO too much traction for a primarily duning tire.

I see it like this: A typical day for me at Glamis is a morning Duner ride before breakfast. Maybe 3 more 1+ hour rides throughout the day. Night ride to Old"s (the hill everyone races at) and burn a tank there. Maybe a night duner ride late night if it's warm out... I can go through 10 gallons a day sometimes!!

So for me, if I'm duning for 4 + hours and doing like 10 races, the tire I want is the best tire for the majority of the riding I do. 4 hours VS. 5 minutes. That's like a 48 to 1 ratio!! Gee, what to do?? :blink:

My primary tire is a V paddle...Sand Tires Unlimited Sand Skate II's are my favorite so far.

For that 1 second you gain off the line because you have a set of drag tires (Haulers on 8" rims) you have to live with the comparatively unfriendly sliding characteristics of it for the remainder of your riding.

If I recall, you don't have a drag Banshee so I"m gonna go out on a limb here and say that you would probably have a vastly greater experience on a set of V's.

Other members are right...you can dune on a set of Haulers. I just don't like it near as much. Not after experiencing my SKII's.

I've never tried a set of the 10" rim Haulers...maybe they're a lot different than my 8" ones.

Just my $0.02.

Thanks, Very well explained.

So on a v-paddles set up would a 8 or 10 inch rim suite me better?

I've got the same issues going on with my build...see sig. I've still got my money on getting the 20 inch tire with 10 inch rim. I've talked to a few reputable respectable guys and they say I'll get a lot of spin out of the set up. Thats what I want though. The 20 inch tall tire with 10 inch rim has very little side wall flex and is flatish where the paddles/tire meet the sand. The 21 inch or 22 inch tire on 8 inch rim have a lot of side wall to flex and at speed they swell. For me..opinion only... hooking almost 90% of the time would get boring with trying to fight the beast down all day...I'd rather hook 50% of the time and play like hell the rest of the time. I don't think you can have the very best of both worlds in one tire. Then again, I was told that once you get so much motor nothing is going to hook with the 20 inch tire and 10 inch rim combo. Thats the area I'm in with my build with trying to run 20x10x10 9 paddle hauler extremes. All depends on what you want, but no matter what, if you are on a shee you are going to have a hell of a good time. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong on tire info. You could always buy 2 sets of rims/tires and which ever you don't like sell. They'd have may 5 rides on them. You might loose $50-$100 bucks but be able to see what works best for you. Thats my plan by the way, but I'll get the 20 inch tire on 10 inch rim combo first. I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

no true! :mad: i can do that. :biggrin: .though it helps havin 10 inch rims.

i ride with a group of about 10 or so people. 6 of the guys run 9 paddle haulers on their 450's, two chix run 8 paddle haulers on their 400's and myself and another buddy run 10 paddle haulers on our shees with no problems. im the only one of all of us that really races. note that all of us are runnin 10 inch rims on the back.

I have 20/10/10 10 paddle haulers, 21/12/8 8 paddle haulers, 21/12/8 9 paddle haulers, 22/11/8 9 paddle haulers, and a new set of 21/12/8 8 paddle skat trak edges. I have tried sand skate 2s I have mostly straights because i came off of 250r trikes, and they turn great on straights because you can throw your weight around better and get the bike to kind of lean in the turns. So i started buying all straights for my bikes when i got into banshees.

First off everybody above is right, there is no magic answer. Wacko, obviously, you haven't ridden the sand yet, so you cant really answer what kind of riding you will enjoy. Jay is right on the money when he says the v paddles will way out turn/slide the straights. Any body that argues that has never tried them back to back or is on drugs period. The question is do you need it to turn/slide that well. I tried the sand skates and they were to slide happy IMHO. You can basically slide them almost as well as a set of knobs in the dirt. Problem is they dont have near the forward bite of the straight blades, and i constantly found myself stuck when trying to climb out of holes like rippen and the guys do at walden. I was up in oregon, and there were holes that we would go down into that there wasn't even room to turn around. We had to get off the bike pick the ass end up and swing it around, then launch right on the hill. For that type of riding where you are climbing, and especially with a dead run, you want straights all day long. For just running through the dunes, the straights have great manners as well. But if you enjoy doing hairpins and sliding alot as jay described, the Vs really shine. you can blast up a dune and pitch it sideways across the face and powerslide across it on the way down, and that is a blast also. Glamis has really soft deep sand, so the straights are really nice and will basically let you climb a wall if you wanted to. The taller the tire and smaller rim will bite harder and be less slide friendly. My 22/11/8s are way more aggressive than my 20/10/10s even though there are more paddles on the smaller tire.

I guess if you can read through all this hot air i just typed, it depends on where/how you are riding. I had a blast carving through the dunes on the skates last time just goofing around. However didn't like them for plain hill climbing. I just picked up the 21/12/8 edges hoping to find a happy medium. I think the 20/10/10s are a pretty good compromise as well. I would actually like to try a set of 20/10/8s. in a 8 or 9 paddle. Sorry, i probably didn't help too much, but i would say either a short straight blade or taller v blade for play riding.

I have 20/10/10 10 paddle haulers, 21/12/8 8 paddle haulers, 21/12/8 9 paddle haulers, 22/11/8 9 paddle haulers, and a new set of 21/12/8 8 paddle skat trak edges. I have tried sand skate 2s I have mostly straights because i came off of 250r trikes, and they turn great on straights because you can throw your weight around better and get the bike to kind of lean in the turns. So i started buying all straights for my bikes when i got into banshees.

First off everybody above is right, there is no magic answer. Wacko, obviously, you haven't ridden the sand yet, so you cant really answer what kind of riding you will enjoy. Jay is right on the money when he says the v paddles will way out turn/slide the straights. Any body that argues that has never tried them back to back or is on drugs period. The question is do you need it to turn/slide that well. I tried the sand skates and they were to slide happy IMHO. You can basically slide them almost as well as a set of knobs in the dirt. Problem is they dont have near the forward bite of the straight blades, and i constantly found myself stuck when trying to climb out of holes like rippen and the guys do at walden. I was up in oregon, and there were holes that we would go down into that there wasn't even room to turn around. We had to get off the bike pick the ass end up and swing it around, then launch right on the hill. For that type of riding where you are climbing, and especially with a dead run, you want straights all day long. For just running through the dunes, the straights have great manners as well. But if you enjoy doing hairpins and sliding alot as jay described, the Vs really shine. you can blast up a dune and pitch it sideways across the face and powerslide across it on the way down, and that is a blast also. Glamis has really soft deep sand, so the straights are really nice and will basically let you climb a wall if you wanted to. The taller the tire and smaller rim will bite harder and be less slide friendly. My 22/11/8s are way more aggressive than my 20/10/10s even though there are more paddles on the smaller tire.

I guess if you can read through all this hot air i just typed, it depends on where/how you are riding. I had a blast carving through the dunes on the skates last time just goofing around. However didn't like them for plain hill climbing. I just picked up the 21/12/8 edges hoping to find a happy medium. I think the 20/10/10s are a pretty good compromise as well. I would actually like to try a set of 20/10/8s. in a 8 or 9 paddle. Sorry, i probably didn't help too much, but i would say either a short straight blade or taller v blade for play riding.

Good informative post man!

Sounds like you have done allot of the R&D-lol

RIPPEN

I have mostly straights because I came off of 250r trikes, and they turn great on straights because you can throw your weight around better and get the bike to kind of lean in the turns. So I started buying all straights for my bikes when I got into banshees.

I agree with that statement, for I am in the exact same situation. I have always used haulers on my trikes...

I agree, that is a lot of tire R&D. :thumbsup:

I like the 20" tires with the larger rim for duning myself. I use 20x10x10 10pdls. slide around like its nothing yet I still get decent hook for drag racing.. not as good as the 22" tires on 8" rims.. but still good. I wont buy anything but the 20" tires on 9 or 10" rims now for duning.. I've used the 21x12x8 and 22x11x8 and they had too much belly roll when trying to slide them around in my opinion.

I agree with everything Rippen said...

Maybe the reason I like the SKII's is I used to drive my 400HP Road Runner like those good ol' boys drove "The General Lee" in Hazard County!! :evil:

I've seen some of those vids of those hill climbs out of the hole...I'd run straight paddles there as well, sho fo!!

I'd like to try out a set of the 10" rim Haulers too. Never ridden on 'em, but would like to.

If you were gonna get any kind of V paddle tire, wouldn't you automatically get it in a 10" rim size?

I can see questioning which size in a Hauler....

As I've said before, my ATV experience is solely limited to Glamis.... :cool:

Edited by jayzx750

You are right, I cant say, weather i like to dune or drag or whatever.

From what i have read, I think that a set of v-paddles would be a good all around set-up for me being that its my first trip to the dunes.

I will order a set tonight, but Im stilll in the market for a used set of haulers.

So a 10inch rim on v-paddles would be a good all around dune setup?

thanks Guys for all the info

Joseph

You are right, I cant say, weather i like to dune or drag or whatever.

From what i have read, I think that a set of v-paddles would be a good all around set-up for me being that its my first trip to the dunes.

I will order a set tonight, but Im stilll in the market for a used set of haulers.

So a 10inch rim on v-paddles would be a good all around dune setup?

thanks Guys for all the info

Joseph

Yeah, i dont know like i said, i just got my skat trak edges with the 8" rim. Im hoping to meet in the middle between my haulers and the skate2s. Bottom line is you are going to have a blast. You guys are going to be there a while, so im sure you will ride somebodys bike with some straights, or maybe somebody will be there with some spares you can try so you know what you want next time. Trust me, there will be a next time. LOL Glamis is like disneyland for dudes. Except more tits and ass and lots of kick ass quads buggies and just about everything else you can imagine. Once you ride at glamis, everything else is just a compromise IMHO. Fuck i wish i could make it, i could bring about 4 sets of spares and let you guys see for yourselves how they act. work blows, my riding season sucks the big one this year :down:

I agree with everything Rippen said...

Maybe the reason I like the SKII's is I used to drive my 400HP Road Runner like those good ol' boys drove "The General Lee" in Hazard County!! :evil:

I've seen some of those vids of those hill climbs out of the hole...I'd run straight paddles there as well, sho fo!!

I'd like to try out a set of the 10" rim Haulers too. Never ridden on 'em, but would like to.

If you were gonna get any kind of V paddle tire, wouldn't you automatically get it in a 10" rim size?

I can see questioning which size in a Hauler....

As I've said before, my ATV experience is solely limited to Glamis.... :cool:

Thats the thing man, it all varies so damn much.. Hell there are days when I get to the dunes and won't hook for shit, rains for 5 minutes and then I have to much traction-lol.. Dunes to dunes, bikes to bikes, its pretty hard to say.. Been a good thread as now Iam more interested in trying a set of V's in Idaho for shits and giggles.. Who knows maybe I have been missing out-lol.. Iam just to damn broke to have more than one set and like you said when it comes to what I do its obvious I need allot more than the average duner.. Being that I only have the one pair I have always done fine with the starights but like I said after reading all this trying out a set of V's from a friend(if anyone has a set) in idaho maybe interesting...

Thanks to all of you who have put down allot of good info as Iam sure this thread will come in handy for allot of guys..

RIPPEN