piston slap :)

jimbob

ok so im in the middle of a bit of a "revamp" on my shee and ive took the motor out to give it a good clean and a paint and some power upgrades. whilst its out i thought id check the liners and pistons for any obvious wear or scoring and bore sizes. as luck would have it the liners seem to be in very good shape and so do the piston crowns and it hasnt been bored as the liners both read 64.16mm , one of the domes has some pitting but thats not an issue as the head is getting changed for a cool head. ANYWAY ive wound the engine round to half stroke so both pistons meet in the middle and ive given them a bit of a wiggle from front to back-side to side to check for play. SO the question is how much play should i expect? none? 1/4mm-1/2mm?

Edited by jimbob

cool so if its round then its just the next size up pistons ?

You CAN'T go up to the next piston size without getting it bored.You could by the SAME SIZE piston if the bore is still in spec.Your piston skirts could just be worn or collapsed and just need replaced with a good hone job.

You CAN'T go up to the next piston size without getting it bored.You could by the SAME SIZE piston if the bore is still in spec.Your piston skirts could just be worn or collapsed and just need replaced with a good hone job.

ok thanks thats just what i needed to know. a definite no. lol ile pull the barrels and measure the pistons and bores, see which on is out of spec.

cheers all

ps whats a hone? a bore skim?

ok thanks thats just what i needed to know. a definite no. lol ile pull the barrels and measure the pistons and bores, see which on is out of spec.

cheers all

ps whats a hone? a bore skim?

It's when you use a hone , i like ball hones, usually it's attached to a drill and you put a new cross hatch pattern in the cylinder to break in the new rings.

as long as the cylinder is in round and you have to correct tolerances you can just hone it and be fine, but if you are out of tolerances or your bore is out of round you need to have it machined to get it back in specs. Make sure that any time you bore your cylinders that you have the pistons that are going to be used with the jugs so they can be matched. you can check 100 differant 65.00 pistons and they will all read differant so you cant just get your jugs punched to 65mm and call it good.

or let me rephrase that, you "can" but you shouldnt :)

ok i pulled the barrels and pistons but dont have the correct bore measuring equipment and its reaaly hard trying to measure a bore with a vernier. i measured the piston and that seemed to be in spec so with the process of illimination it must be the bore thats out of spec so they've gone of the the machine shop for a rebore and new pistons, better safe than sorry is what my old mum would say. lol

thanks again to all for your help

:thumbsup:

ok i pulled the barrels and pistons but dont have the correct bore measuring equipment and its reaaly hard trying to measure a bore with a vernier. i measured the piston and that seemed to be in spec so with the process of illimination it must be the bore thats out of spec so they've gone of the the machine shop for a rebore and new pistons, better safe than sorry is what my old mum would say. lol

thanks again to all for your help

:thumbsup:

make sure you give the shop the pistons too so they can set the tolerances