cleaning chrome pipes

Paddleboy

i searched about cleaning chrome pipes and saw some said use 000 steel wool and some said use 0000 steel wool. which one is best to use(without scratching)

ahh good thread.. I wanna know too.. I have my pipes sitting here and i want to get them a little better then what they are... what do you use the steel wool with when ur doing this?

Have you checked out CC Specialty tools? We sell rubber bullet shaped abrasives. Rubberized Abrasives are silicon carbide abrasive bonded in an oil resistant chemical rubber which has a cushioned action. It works smoothly and softly without gouging or digging into the work surface. It resists clogging and smearing and is ideal for a braod range of applications where metallic or non-metallic surfaces must be smoothed and polished without loss of dimensional tolerance or control. They come in Coarse, Medium, and Fine grit ($0.95each)and use 1/4" mandrels and we also have an 1/8" mandrel. we also sell felt buffs (bullet shaped $16.50 per pkg of 10 or $1.70 each)and polishing compounds ($2.00 each). We also sell simi-chrome polish ($10.50 per 3/4 oz tube or $25.90 a 1/2# can). If you would like more information you can call 1-800-762-6995 for a free catalog and we can answer your questions on all your porting and polishing needs. Hope this helps and good luck :kiss:

Deidra Broadbent

i searched about cleaning chrome pipes and saw some said use 000 steel wool and some said use 0000 steel wool. which one is best to use(without scratching)

I had some bluing on my Fatty's where they come out of the engine, and had heard about the 0000 wool. I went to Lowes to pick some up, but all they had was the 000. So I got it and used it along with some Turtle wax chrome polish, it cleaned the bluing up nice.... but did dull the finish a little.

I would use 0000 it is finer than 000. Simi Chrome is a great polish. I belive that is what theshee uses when he polishes stuff for people.

When your all done wipe the pipes down with Acetone. It will remove all the left over polish and finger prints for that spot free shine.

josh

This is the best stuff I've ever used, comes up like new. Good for the body of the aluminum silencers too. I dont use steel wool though just a soft polishing cloth.

http://www.californiacustom.com/purple_metal_polish.html

I also used purple polish. thats good shit. cant find it anywhere in stores but i wouldnt think twice about using it again.

So what about burnt on gloves/pants?

Get a heat gun...heat up the burnt on part, grab a paper towel and wipe it off when hot...wear gloves. As far as keeping pipes good and not blueing....get a harbor freight bench polisher...$50ish and blue magic.....and an hour. I had T-5s for 2 years in the trails with mud, snow, blueing, you name it.....now they look like this after an hour... http://www.bansheehq.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=105484

Edited by grpark20

Purple will take it straight off for sure. And any blueing or baked on mud. Takes less time than removing the pipes all together.

Whats purple. Link?

Let it sit on or buff it?