Needle for PWK 33

hercalmighty

Ok guys need a little HQ wisdom. Hillclimbr came up to get some help with his shee. So I got into and when I started the carbs were out of synch, airscrews were off from each other and it had 148 main, 48 pilot, and a CEL with the clip in the 2nd from the top. Now the mods, Drag port from FAST, PWK 33, CPI inframes, K&N pods, +4 timing. I'm about 500' above sea level and it was 45 degrees. Pick-up gap set at .018, compression was a little low I think (tested the gauge on my shee and dirt bike, 120 on shee with a 6 year old top end, 160 on dirt bike) I got 120 on his. I dont know if the head is shaved or not. I did not check the squish. The carbs are now synched, floats set at 16mm.

Now I first set the jetting at 162 main, 48 pilot, CEL in the middle, 1 1/2 turns out. I took it out for a ride and from idle all the way to 3/4 throttle it was just loading up bad but once I could get the rpm's up into the top the thing would just rip. I went back in and put a 45 pilot in and that cleaned up the idle to 1/4 and cleaned up the middle a tad. Took it in again and put the clip all the way to the top. Rode it again and up to about 1/3 seemed clean (maybe a little ajustment on the airscrew) but still loading up in the middle but ALOT better and the transition from bottom to mid, to top was alot smoother and I only needed a little cluth to get it up into the top. I know this setup is absent of a bottom end and I'm not looking for that out of the bike, what the problem is is that the bike just doesnt tranistion through the powerband cleanly. It bogs down in the middle before it hit the top, not just "it doesnt have a low end". I'm looking for a needle that will help clean up the middle just alittle bit mostly from about half throttle to 3/4 throttle then into the top.

Thanks again guys all help is appriated :thanks:

Ok I did some searching and I think I'm looking at a CGL OR A BGL needle. I think I need the G because I ran out of clip postions going leaner and it was getting better. Now I'm think of going with the B because the transfer from mid to top is really rough and the taper controls that but the site I was looking at said you really shouldnt change the taper.

So all you jetting pro's out there hit me up and clue me in. What does everyone think? I hate buying more jets then I need so lets hear some opions

My buddy had a similar problem with his 421 cub. After getting everything else squared away, the CEL was just too rich, and the CGL needle cleaned it up nicely. I would suggest trying the CGL...

Did you ride it at all when it was not quite right? I know Keihin's are a little touchy with the jetting but once you get it right they are sweet as hell. I was lucky with my 28's I just bumped up the main and they were perfect.

If you did ride it was it similary to what I'm describing?

Did you ride it at all when it was not quite right? I know Keihin's are a little touchy with the jetting but once you get it right they are sweet as hell. I was lucky with my 28's I just bumped up the main and they were perfect.

If you did ride it was it similary to what I'm describing?

Sounded very similar, although his was a little more subtle in the early morning. I rode it with the CELs and CGLs, and I definitely noticed a big difference with the CGLs installed in his 35PWKs. It cleaned it up, as I mentioned earlier.

Now I first set the jetting at 162 main, 48 pilot, CEL in the middle, 1 1/2 turns out. I took it out for a ride and from idle all the way to 3/4 throttle it was just loading up bad but once I could get the rpm's up into the top the thing would just rip

right here sounds like you have way to big of main, did you try like a 155 main and see what the plugs looked like.

if its idles smooth and doesnt load up then your pilot circuit would be fine. and then take it and roll into the throttle dont mash it, if it takes off and wants to run like a streak then your needle is close you can adjust the clips up or down to see if one helps more than other.

then hold it wot and do a plug chop.

162 i didnt hardly run that big of a main on my cub. that or you have the bike lean down low and need a big main to make a correct plug.

hard to say with out riding the bike but i think your needle combo would work.

It seems to run great up top and down bottom its in the middle that its acting up. We were doing the roll on and it was loading up about maybe 1/2 throttle to 3/4 throttle thats why I'm thinking BGL. Since the taper controls the transfer from 3/4 to full and thats were its really bad. I'm still trying to get this thing right so all advise is great

Thanks guys

Ok guys need a little HQ wisdom. Hillclimbr came up to get some help with his shee. So I got into and when I started the carbs were out of synch, airscrews were off from each other and it had 148 main, 48 pilot, and a CEL with the clip in the 2nd from the top. Now the mods, Drag port from FAST, PWK 33, CPI inframes, K&N pods, +4 timing. I'm about 500' above sea level and it was 45 degrees. Pick-up gap set at .018, compression was a little low I think (tested the gauge on my shee and dirt bike, 120 on shee with a 6 year old top end, 160 on dirt bike) I got 120 on his. I dont know if the head is shaved or not. I did not check the squish. The carbs are now synched, floats set at 16mm.

Now I first set the jetting at 162 main, 48 pilot, CEL in the middle, 1 1/2 turns out. I took it out for a ride and from idle all the way to 3/4 throttle it was just loading up bad but once I could get the rpm's up into the top the thing would just rip. I went back in and put a 45 pilot in and that cleaned up the idle to 1/4 and cleaned up the middle a tad. Took it in again and put the clip all the way to the top. Rode it again and up to about 1/3 seemed clean (maybe a little ajustment on the airscrew) but still loading up in the middle but ALOT better and the transition from bottom to mid, to top was alot smoother and I only needed a little cluth to get it up into the top. I know this setup is absent of a bottom end and I'm not looking for that out of the bike, what the problem is is that the bike just doesnt tranistion through the powerband cleanly. It bogs down in the middle before it hit the top, not just "it doesnt have a low end". I'm looking for a needle that will help clean up the middle just alittle bit mostly from about half throttle to 3/4 throttle then into the top.

Thanks again guys all help is appriated :thanks:

I dont beleive you have a drag port as i remember most of my drag ports and where they go. It will NEVER run correctly if it is not set up right and only has 120 lb compression. I have talked to NYUK and Hillclimber most all the recommendations have been gone through with the owner but i will be glad to do it again if needed. Your fighting a loosing battle trying to jet a bike setup to run with different components and compression. And your running a stock head and stock compression??? Please call me and lets get this thing running F.A.S.T. the way it should be.

No they are defiently not the same BUT all still applies in my last post!

Hey Jeff. I'm just helping Hill with the bike to try and get it going. Hill said its alot better then it was but not there yet. If you can just let me know what compression and squish you want to see on your dune port bikes. I wanted to check the squish but just ran out of time for the day. If you actually want to talk about it over the phone just give me a heads up on what times are good for you.

Thanks man