sprocket set up for sand

801dubvshee

im lookin to get a new sprocket set up. i want to make sure i get the right set up so im lookin for a few suggestions to help me out i ride mostly in the sand so what would i be lookin for?

My friend, we are gonna need quite a bit more info to try and answere this question..

Like, mods of the bike, kind of tire and size of tire, rider weight, what kinda riding(hillclimbs, drag, casual duning)..

Even with all this info there will be a mix of recomemdations but should help get you close..

RIPPEN

My friend, we are gonna need quite a bit more info to try and answere this question..

Like, mods of the bike, kind of tire and size of tire, rider weight, what kinda riding(hillclimbs, drag, casual duning)..

Even with all this info there will be a mix of recomemdations but should help get you close..

RIPPEN

i have a cool head with 18cc domes, toomey t-5s, k and n filters, i weigh 215 and i want a set up for casual duning im still in between on what kind of tires i want if you have suggestions for that i would like that to. the problem im havin is when i hit the mountain or even some steep hills in little sahara UTill get like 3/4 the way up the hill and my bike will start to like loose power and i have to ship down when my friend has a banshee to and he isw flyin past so i think i need something that will give me a little more tourqe?

If your looking for just a bit more bottom end and your stock gearing now (14/41 I THINK) then I would maybe jump up to a 43-44 in the rear.. Thats basicly gonna be the same as dropping one tooth in the front.. I hear though that a 13t up front can be a little bit harder on chains so thats why I mess with the rear more.. Also I say 2-3 teath because only going one tooth probably wouldn't be even noticeable..

As far as tire goes I have always been a fan of skat track haulers.. However if your not looking to climb or drag to much I know allot of people that have been happy with something like sand skates or a v-paddle of some sort.. Otherwise I think somethin like 8 paddle hauler maybe a decent choice which would maybe leave ya a tad bit of room to grow.. Like I said though Iam pretty Hauler biased as I mostly climb. Iam sure some others will be through that maybe can tell ya more about the v-blade type..

RIPPEN

Little Saharra is the only sand that i have ever ridden. I am almost the same weight as you but my bike is built alittle more, with the sand skate II i ran 13-42 and it worked very well. The face is pretty steep and until you build you bike plan on being rapped out in 2nd by 3/4 hill. I changed to skat trak 22-11-10 8 paddle and there was a night and day differce.

If you not to worried about loosing top speed run 13-43 or 44. But i would still almost beat on the bigger hills down there you are not going to be able to hold the higher gears

If you buddys bike is set up the same as yours i could be you need new top end to get some compresson back. :unsure:

what part of Slc are you at?

thats what i thought to about the compression when i tested it it was at 150 and i was told that was normal? but i think im going to go with a set of v paddles like the itp sand star. i had another friend tell me a 13 in the front and a 46 in the rear is what everyone runs but i think that would be to much low end? i dont want to be wheelin every where lol. but im in west valley city

The compression sound good to me. Mine is close to that with 18cc domes and porting. I dont think i would go more than the 44 on the back.

Do you have any friend with both the v blade style and the straight paddle tires. See if you can try them both out to see for sure what you like better. I start out with the v blades because i heard they were easier to turn. I myself didnt notice any difference in the turning going from v blades to straight blades. There is a big difference in the way the tire hooks up. I think you would like the straight blades better if you get the chance to try the 2 out before you buy a set. To each his own though. just my 2 cents on it

I'd say before you decide on gearing, figure out tires. And I'm telling ya, just go with the Haulers. You won't regret it. I've ridden LS with V blades, straight cast paddles and skat track haulers. Hands down Haulers all the way. If you're going with haulers I'd say decide between 21x12x8's 8pdl or 20x10x10. With 21's gear 14/44 or with 20's run 14/42. JMO

well after talkin to alot of people i think im going to keep my straight blade paddles i was told by many people who have tried them both out and say there really isnt a noticeable difference between the two but heres what im thinkin for sprockets im going to but both a 13 for the front and a 44 for the rear that way if its to much low end i can just put the 14 back on the front is that a good idea or im i wastin money??? my paddles i have now are i think 21x10x10 8 pdl

well after talkin to alot of people i think im going to keep my straight blade paddles i was told by many people who have tried them both out and say there really isnt a noticeable difference between the two but heres what im thinkin for sprockets im going to but both a 13 for the front and a 44 for the rear that way if its to much low end i can just put the 14 back on the front is that a good idea or im i wastin money??? my paddles i have now are i think 21x10x10 8 pdl

Thats not a to bad of idea.. Kind of a pain in the ass with the chain(unless your running a round style swinger) but otherwise as I remember the 13T fronts are cheap.. As frogger said it may just come down to trying different set-ups. People can get ya in the ballpark but past that can be tough.. Good luck and good choice staying with the staight blade.. :thumbsup:

RIPPEN

cool thats what ill do than is just buy both and test and tune and if i dont like one ill sell it ha ha but thanks for your help everyone and ill let you know how it goes after christmas. wish it wasnt so cold and snowy and utah though hopefully i can get a break in the weather and get out to the dunes!!!

For a stock-ish bike I would just run the stock gearing or close to it. 14x41 or 14x42 and run some 8 paddle haulers. If you have a little more power than stock then go up in paddles. I run 14x40 all the way up to 14x45 and usually run a 22" tall 10-paddle extreme. But my dune bike is a little more wild than most dune bikes you find. 8 paddles are about perfect for most stock-ish bikes.

- jared